Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default Emotional/Mental "Deadness"

So I've been in a bit of a holding pattern with weight this week (not entirely...jumped back up from 215.5 to 220 on Monday. And now I'm back at 217 and quite comfy with it), but I have made some AMAZING progress with my house cleaning. I'm not sure my house has ever been so clean!

I signed up with FLY lady. And I purchased the bundle of the week, which is all about spring cleaning- http://bundleoftheweek.com/

I'm realizing that keeping the house clean involves a lot of the same habits that weight loss does. Also- if I keep the house clean I have less excuses not to work out or cook. It's so much nicer to cook in a super clean kitchen.

So one of the books I'm reading- 31 Days to Clean- "Having a Martha House the Mary Way"- asks me the question today: "What areas in my home are causing stress of bringing emotional/mental deadness?"

And I realize...Oh Geeze. It's the basement. I need to start cleaning out the basement tonight.

I'll post progress pictures.

So, my wonderful friends, what areas in your life or your home are causing emotional deadness?

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 03-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #2  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Love Fly Lady.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #3  

I cleaned the master bath last night while my husband was gone for the day. Bought a nice new shower curtain and new bath rugs, some vanilla lemon scented sticks and balls (it's not potpurri, but not sure what it's called now?), smells so pretty. I love a bleach clean bathroom and of course, do it here and there during the week. But yesterday was the Q-tips in the crevices of the Spring cleaning kind. I felt like my mind was fresh and clean when I was done so the emotional deadness is gone, I think it was the new stuff I bought at TJ Maxx I got. Nothing fancy (all on clearance) but new to us. And my husband was happy when he got home, I did give him the heads up I bought new stuff. But can I tell you how sore I am today?? Apparently the bathroom cleaning muscles aren't used every day!!

My basement is a subject for another day. I think all the stuff I wanted to sell in a spring yardsale is going to be driven up to the Goodwill and someone can score a great deal.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #4  

And...I couldn't buy the bundle of the week; that would end up as clutter to me and I don't do clutter!! Stresses me out!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

My stress area is my yard. For some unknown reason, I decided that upon retirement that I would move 3,000 miles across country (well, that was to be near family for the first time in 40 years), build a big house, and build it on the side of a mountain. The house I can take care of -- I've always been pretty good about keeping things picked up and at least semi-clean because it dawned on me at some point that if I made a mess, I was the only one who was available to clean it up.

But taking care of this yard is going to do me in. First, as I said, it's on the side of a mountain. Now, on clear days, Mt. Rainier is 20 miles away and very visible in all its glory. That alone makes the lot worth it. But our climate is such that it just doesn't get cold enough in the winter to ever kill anything. And with such a temperate climate, things grow well here even in this horrible, rocky soil. Especially weeds. Oh my, I feel like I'm a weed factory. There's no such thing as getting them under control. It's more a matter of measuring by how much I've lost the battle this year. Plus, any time I want to do something in the yard, it means lugging some piece of equipment either up or down a 13% grade. The silver lining part: on yard work days, I skip the gym. After going up and down this hill 20 times lugging between 20-100 pounds of stuff, I've gotten a good workout.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #6  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

That is a really cool idea, I am going to have to follow your example! There is only one area in our home that causes me stress, and that's the dining room. It has all of our extra moving boxes with storage stuff lined up neatly together and on top of each other against the walls but it is starting to cause me anxiety. My husband and I already agreed that before the end of March, we are going to put all of it up in storage closets and our little shed!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I can't do fly lady. That whole, "make the kitchen sink sparkle" as the most important thing... blah... No... it's not.

But one thing I do agree with and I am in the process of doing right now is getting rid of all the stuff I had planned to sell. It was cluttering up areas as I never got around to selling them. Now I donate and get the tax receipt and deduct it from the taxes. A lot less hassle and it's clean.

I need to tackle our basement too. Blah!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5

does fly lady still send you 50 emails a day?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #9  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure about the e-mails. I don't mind reminders throughout the day though. It keeps me motivated and mindful.

I feel like the kitchen is the heart of our home. You pretty much have to pass through it to go anywhere, so I feel pretty amazing when the kitchen is clean. So I don't mind the shiny kitchen sink.

Elvis, I really like your idea of a few simple things from TJ Maxx. And it sounds like you got a good workout in too!

besty- How often do you get around to the yardwork? For the most part, the yard is DH's domain. However, I am going to try to surprise him with cleaning up leaves this weekend. His love language is acts of service.

Pink, Do you have dates set to conquer the dining room?

berryblonde, What do you think the most important cleaning thing is? Like weight loss, I think everyone needs to pick and choose- and put together their own plans.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote