Old 03-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Tips & Tricks

Hi all, 99 percent of the time, I know what I should be doing. I know how to eat to lose weight, I know how to exercise to complement my eating plan (I still have a lot to learn about strength training, but I'm working on it) but every once in a while I don't really want to do what I know I should be doing.

How do you motivate yourself through the hard stuff. When the idea of another salad or glass of water makes you wanna scream (if it makes you wanna scream lol).

Here are a few of mine:

1. I almost always add a few squirts from lemon or a lime to my water

I am (was) a juice-aholic white grape juice being my drug of choice, and I miss it everyday. I've been forcing myself to drink more water than I probably every have in my life, because while I love juice I have a big juice belly and I refuse to drink away my calories.

2. Motivate me music.

I always listen to music while I'm at the gym, it helps me zone out much more than the tv's. But sometimes even after just a few minutes on the treadmill, I think about jumping off it and sneaking back into my warm bed. When that happens I switch to my motivate me play list which has songs that I love that make me want dance. So far it's been working, though I probably look ridiculous as I lipsync all the words.

3. Pics by my mirror.

The mirror in my bathroom spans most of one wall. And sometimes when I look at my reflection I have a mini war with myself about how I look and how I will look after I lose the weight. I have a big belly as I mentioned above, but I still dream of one day rocking a bikini. So on the wall opposite my mirror I've stuck up a couple of pics with inspiring quotes to stop me from focusing on my negatives. I added this one today:

That's all I have for now. What are your tips and tricks to stay motivated, eat well, get through a gruelling workout. You don't have to be as long winded as me, but I'd really like to know.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Musac!

And shopping!

I'm looking hot in new clothes. I've ordered the same stuff online for a decade.

So I went to the mall, tried clothes on (a first) and put myself in a plaid shirt and a pair of jeans (that now fit) and Jeeeeeeees. I'm a handsome son of a'...!

Heck, they won't fit for long on the way down, but it keeps me going.

Last edited by IanG; 03-09-2013 at 11:25 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #3  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

For eating I think about what I could have for the same amount of calories. So if I'm tempted by cake I think of how much more salad or fruit I can have.

I really like to eat so trading a small piece of cake for a big salad always seems like a better deal. I like getting good deals.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #4  

I hang mini-goal clothes on my closet door, keeping my eye on the prize so to speak. I also do personal fashion shows about every 3 weeks to check on my progress.

I drink 1 liter bottles of seltzer water mostly. It doesn't feel as overwhelming to me to get at least 2 of them in a day to total 67 ounces. Sometims I pour it in a 16 oz glass so then it's just 2 glasses to finish the bottles. Other time, I tell myself I can't have my yummy coffee until I get 1 bottle in. I also never drink a diet soda until I have my total water in for the day. Silly tricks but they work for me.

For exercise, when I am almost at the time that I said I would do for a minimum I make deals in my head that if a good song comes on next (I listen to Iheartradio on my phone) then I will keep going and round up to the next 5 minute increment. Just silly mental things!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Quote:
I hang mini-goal clothes on my closet door, keeping my eye on the prize so to speak.
That is such a cool idea!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I guess my trick is being low carb and not eating sugar, grains (besides my oat bran) and starches. It sounds a little extreme, I guess, but the reality is that it reduces my appetite to the extent that it's not that tough for me to stay on plan and have a low number of calories.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Elvis I do the same thing with clothes! I currently have a pair of size 14 capris I try on once a week. Even If the scale isn't moving I can see my progress in how they fit. Right now they're too tight to wear but they button and zip. Couldn't do that two weeks ago!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #8  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

-Find favorite foods that are healthy. My favorite foods are shrimp and broccoli. So I don't ever feel like I'm missing on life.
-I've done this before. I know I can do it again. I feel more in control when I'm watching what I eat. I tell myself this a lot.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/249/125

Height: 5'3 ish

Daimere- shrimp and broccoli are favorites of mine to

I also use clothes to motivate me"it really does"

Pam cooking spray love it no calories and when the soda "urge" hits I use coke zero it's pretty good

Greek yogurt was mana sent from god to"dieting" people lol

Music helps loads!
Thinforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #10  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Two that come to mind right now are:

- Getting in my fluids. If nothing else, it fills up my stomach so I don't feel quite so munchy. Drinking water (which I've actually always quite liked by itself), or occasionally Splenda-sweetened hot tea or Crystal Light if I'm wanting sweets, is definitely my number one tip/trick.

- Fleshing out my carbs with veggies. I personally like cooked veggies better than I like raw ones and when they're seasoned etc, they make me feel like I'm eating real food and they also extend my regular carbs. For example, 1 cup of rice might be 205 calories, but 1/4cup of rice extended with a couple of cups of chopped cauliflower or broccoli might be only half that and you get a lot more food.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #11  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I have clothes hung up on my closet in the next size down and sizes below that. Thank stars for 5 layer pants hangers.

Weirdly, when I'm wandering around in the kitchen aimlessly...I go stand on the scale. I know I'm not hungry, I'm trying to graze...so I remind myself of how far I've come!

Water, usually warm, with a bit of lemon or crushed ginger, depending on 'craving'. The warmth makes me feel like there's something in my stomach, besides water and the flavor gives it a bit of a kick
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

I also use mini goal clothes. I kept the clothes that I wore on the way up to this weight, and I keep them in bags according to the weight I was when I wore them, so I look forward to opening up a new bag.
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #13  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I'm another one of those mini-goal clothes. I have a few old and new hung up in my room for visual motivation.

Love that tip about stretching out carbs with veggies, Toastedsmoke- I do the same thing too with rice and pasta! Feels a little less depriving that way, yea?
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 247/236/150

Height: 5'6''

My biggest problem is boredom. It's when I get bored that I end up staring mindlessly into the fridge. So, since starting my diet, when this happens, I force myself to drink a tall glass of water (sometimes with lemon for added flavor) before I make up my mind that I am actually hungry and eat unnecessarily.

Another trick that has helped me keep active, when I'm cleaning the house or doing laundry or making dinner, I put on music and just constantly dance (at least a little) the entire time I'm up. I might look like a total idiot, but who cares? No one around usually to see me!
wgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #15  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angihas2 View Post
Weirdly, when I'm wandering around in the kitchen aimlessly...I go stand on the scale. I know I'm not hungry, I'm trying to graze...so I remind myself of how far I've come!
I don't think it's weird...I think it's absolutely brilliant! I'll start doing this when my mouth is hungry, but my stomach is not.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote