Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 07:41 AM   #1  

Default can I trust myself?

I'm sick of calorie counting. I don't want to count points, either. I'm wondering if I can trust myself to "go by instinct" to plan meals, instead of calculating everything.

Any ideas or input? I am not dieting, I'm just eating healthier. The weight is coming off slowly, but I'm trying to do this the way I'm going to eat for the rest of my life, not be "on a diet."

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 05-15-2003, 08:44 AM   #2  
Searching

Try the fist/palm method for a couple of weeks and see if you drop. Its pretty easy, eat a fist size portion of carbs and a palm size portion of protein. Veggies eat em up, nobody got fat eating big bowls of broccoli!

Miss Chris
Old 05-15-2003, 09:06 AM   #3  

Default Or check out Susan Powters new site @

http://www.susanpowteronline.com/

You don't have to count anything on her plan but exercise time. If you haven't read her first book STOP THE INSANITY it is available in most libraries. FOOD should also be there for lending. Her new book The Politics of Stupid is really just a re-has of the details and , IMHO, not nearly as interesting a read as the first one.

Well, maybe I should re-state that first sentence. You don't have to count anything after you have done the formula on some of your prepackaged things and learn which meat is ok and which isn't. Most veggies and fruits (avocados and coconut are the only ones that come to mind to avoid) can be eaten in abundance along with grains.

Hey, anyway, as long as you keep an eye on the scale, give whatever you decide a try to a couple of weeks or a month and you'll know if it is working or not. and good luck!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:11 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from! I agree with you! I can't measure for the rest of my life either.

I also do the fist/palm method (fist for a carb, palm for a protein) and find it's much easier to "eyeball it."
Old 05-15-2003, 12:51 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I don't count calories or points, Sherry. I measure out my portions, for the most part. There are some nights when I am a guest in someone's home or @ a restaurant & obviously I have to do my own gauging there. But when I'm home, I dont care, I'll dig out the measuring cups.

A serving of pasta is 1/2 cup
a serving of rice is 1/3 cup
a serving or cooked veggies is 1/2 cup
a serving of raw veggies is 1 cup
a serving of milk/yogurt is 8oz
etc.

Like Chris said, you can always go over on fruits & veg.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm going to be the naysayer here, but only speaking for myself. I know I can't be trusted to do it without counting at this point in my life. It's a pain for me to always have to do this, and I hope someday I can rely on other methods, but for me, right now, I know I don't have it in me to really have good portion control without actually counting the points or calories.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:42 PM   #7  

I'm naysaying with Sheila. Eyeballing is a great thing. But after about 7 days my eyeballs seem to react sort of like a rearview mirror: Objects in the mirror are larger than they appear. So this method will probably mean more ups and downs for you. Which may be frustrating and lead to bad things...Good luck either way!
Old 05-16-2003, 10:21 AM   #8  
Losin It For GOOD!

Heya there suzie-

I think that all of weight loss can be counted as a "lets try this and see if it works" venture. I myself right now am stepping back from any specific PLAN, and just trying to EAT SMALLER PORTIONS. It's working so far, I've lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm putting into practice the things I have learned, like eating balanced meals, but I'm really mainly focusing on just eating less. So yeah, I think it can work - but if it stops working its right back to point counting for me!

Good luck in whatever you do!
Old 05-16-2003, 12:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

goog luck! i know i'm not ready to do it, but if you have the determination, i know YOU can!
Closed Thread