My stamina is slowly improving.

• I started out on the treadmill on April 23,03 at 30 minutes and and a speed of 1.5. I have been experimenting at different ways to up the intensity of the workout. Today I did the same 30 at 1.5 but at every 5 minute mark I bumped the speed up to 2.5 but just one minute and then back down to 1.5. At the end of 30 minutes I had done .91 miles. That is up from my starting point of .75 miles. My next goal is to do one mile in the 30 minute time frame. I am getting SOOOOOO into this!
  • That is so great! I bet it's incredibly motivating to see the progress you've made in such a short time. Way to go!
  • you're doing great!!! before you know it, you'll be trekking with the pros!!!
  • Great job, Karefree! Soon you'll be doing 5K's and not even looking back!
  • Hey congratulations!!!
  • That is so great!! Keep up the amazing work!
  • That is awesome!

I am moving on May 24th into an apartment, and there is an exercise room, pool, tennis court and basketball court there. I am so excited to start running on the treadmill - I love running, I'm just too shy to run outside in front of people LOL.
  • yay kare! keep it up! One step at a time and you can do it

I started out BARELY making it a mile - in about 45 minutes, having to pant and hold onto my husband the whole way - but now I can do a Leslie Sansone 4 mile walk without a problem - and completed a 6 mile breast cancer walk last October!

You can do it!!
  • Thanks you guys! Maybe one day I will be able to do those 6 milers with you, Beth Anne! I did the same routine today on the treadmill. Hubby and I have been taking a little walk in the evening also. It does feel good to be seeing progress.
  • i've been doing the same thing, bumping up my mile time. i just started the treadmill this week. i fell like i am getting such a great workout!!
  • Holly, I am new to the treadmill also. Is it must me or do you find a mile on the treadmill is different from a mile outside? It isn't because I have it on an incline or anything but the treadmill mile seems totally harder to me than a mile outside on a track. I would think a mile would be a mile.....
  • Karefree...I took a friend with me to the gym the other day. He is an outside runner and had never been on a treadmill before. He HATED it! He said it was ten times as much work as running outside! Now, this is from a guy who can take months off from running and then go run 2 1/2 miles in the blazing heat without a second thought. I don't know what it is...maybe the repetitiveness of it? When you run on a treadmill, the motions are very repetitive...using the same muscles...if you run outside, you have to adjust ever-so-slightly to the terrain.
  • but i see it as the opposite! i'm not ready to run outside yet -- the treadmill is much easier, and keeps me going at a constant pace. =)