Anyone have acid reflux?

• I'm wondering if, as I lose weight, my acid reflux problem will disappear so I'm curious if others have this problem and if losing weight is helping?

I've been a little reluctant to quit taking my nightly purple pill because the acid reflux is so uncomfortable if it hits me at night. I suppose I won't know if my 35 lb. loss has helped unless I don't take the medicine one night and see what happens.

Thanks!
  • As long as I eat right I don't have that problem. Chocolate and any kind of soda can bring it on.

Miss Chris
  • Same with me. If I am eating really junky food, then I get acid reflux really bad at night. I will literally wake up gagging in the middle of the night and need to eat Tums to feel better. But since I've lost weight, and if I don't eat in the evenings, I'm fine.
  • Yes, losing weight and eating right makes it all go away for me. I have spent some miserable nights after making bad food choices or just eating too much of even the wiser choices.
  • Thanks! I'm going to give up my medication tonight and see what happens. I will, however, have Tums handy on my nightstand!
  • Mine has gotten a LITTLE better - but I still have to beware of trigger foods - choclate, tomato sauce, etc.

Hope you did well!
  • I have acid reflux and have since i was 16 and the last month i have not had to have any tums or prilosec. Eating well has made a difference.
  • Wondering how last night went for you, Sheila. I hope it was a success!
  • I chickened out. I think I've developed a mental dependency on the medication. Okay, I WILL try it tonight!
  • I tried a night without a purple pill, and, voila! No acid reflux. I was so tired I even forgot to put one on my nightstand in case I woke up and needed it.

One less pill to take--I'm so happy!
  • YEAH!!! That's so great. Just one more positive about losing the weight and getting healthier! Keep up the great work!
  • Woohoo that's awesome!
  • CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    I know a lot of medications are necessary but my father (bless his heart) honestly believed that the side effects were often worse than what they treat. I understand completely how happy you are to be 'off' a medication! Again, congratulations!