A great day to start again.....

• Hi all, I'm Carol. I was a member a couple of years ago and fell off. I lost 40 pounds initially but gained half of it back since I've been gone. I had a hard time managing my diet plans because I felt like I shouldn't "force" my husband and son to eat the same things I did. I started feeling like I spent all of the time I wasn't working in the kitchen, and just gave up.

I finally decided last month that "forcing" my husband and child to eat healthy wasn't exactly a bad thing. Even though they don't have weight problems, eating healthy isn't a punishment. I sat them both down and told them I wasn't a short order cook and from here on out there would be two choices in my kitchen...take it or leave it. Healthy meals would be put on the table from here on out. Despite being picky eaters, they took it surprisingly well and I could have kicked myself for not doing it sooner. They are both being very supportive.

Anyway, I am back and recommitted to getting this done once and for all!
  • Hi Carol, welcome back!

Quote: I had a hard time managing my diet plans because I felt like I shouldn't "force" my husband and son to eat the same things I did.
    My Mom feels the same way so I'm really happy that you changed your mind! And I'm extra happy that they are supportive, awesome family. =)

Good luck on your journey!
  • I feel a kindred spirit! Looking forward to journeying together!
  • Remember what u put into your child's body now will affect him when he grows up. If he learns healthy eating now as a child he will follow it for a lifetime. My mother restricted certain things, for example I was only allowed one soda a day. I gave up soda 2 months ago, but for 17 years after leaving her house I only drank one a day. No matter if your husband does not need to lose weight, I am sure he could stand to be more healthy. I don't have a weight loss plan just cook healthy and I know it benifits everyone in my house. I will only cook one meal for lunch or dinner, not going to cook two differnt things. Although occasionally I make some Mac and cheese or biscuits and gravy for everyone else, just because they are so good eating what I cook. Best of luck
  • Welcome back!
    Love your attitude! (wish more parents would do that!)
  • Welcome back, and good luck!
  • Welcome back!
    I like your "take it or leave it" approach!
  • I'm glad you have your family "on board". My husband is also supportive and it makes food choices so much easier.
  • Thank you all for the warm welcome! It is great to be back among an online family that is going through the same thing I am. I learn so much from all of you. I am so inspired by all of you, and appreciate you all. You are amazing!

I can't say the "take it or leave it" approach hasn't been without issues, but they are trying. I read that it takes over 20 times for a child to develop a taste for new things, so he has to try everything on his plate. I also use a die for things he doesn't like. We roll the die and whatever number pops up, that's how many bites he has to take. He has rolled a 1, which he is happy about, but when he rolls a 6 he has to eat it all. I only apply this to the vegetables. I don't want to be that mom that teaches her child to "clean his plate" because I do want him to depend on his appetite instead of eating everything. But everything else he has to try. Same with the husband, who decided when he was 12 what he likes to eat and hasn't changed his mind yet..lol.
    I do let them have a junk day once a week, and a big breakfast on the weekend complete with lots of bacon and that eases the transition a bit Plus it teaches my son that things like that are treats and should be had in moderation.