Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #1  

Default Measuring Vegetables, hello extra calories!

Now that I am monitoring my vegetable intake and increasing my calories with vegetables, I think I have a problem!

I didn't know (for the past 6 days, ugh) that a cup of vegetables isn't 8oz on a scale!

For example, a serving of brussel sprouts doesn't weigh 8oz; it's more like 6-8 of them. I think I might have had 12-15? I think I ate more rutabaga than I was supposed to also, using the scale to measure out 8oz instead of what would fit in a measuring cup (not very much?).

I know that no one really gains weight eating too many vegetables if they are prepared correctly (i.e. not drenched in butter or deep fried) but I am petrified I wrecked my diet this week.

Vegetable stress is the last thing I needed. I wish 3FC had some rotten apples to insert here instead of dancing carrots and broccoli.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #2  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Elvis -

I'm not sure exactly what you normally eat with your plan? I can tell you that the way my plan works, I alternate a few days where I eat protein only and then a few days where I eat protein and unlimited vegetables - and I eat a LOT of veggies on those days, like a whole eggplant sliced and roasted. Yum!

I almost always see a slight increase on the scale from the vegetables - but it's just because of the extra bulk and extra water in the vegetables and the small amount of carbs that are in veggies (they are mostly carbs but it's still a small amount compared with grains and starches). Once I have my protein only days, all that water weight comes off, along with some extra, and that is when I see my real weight loss.

I'm not suggesting you alternate like this but I am saying that it's will be completely normal and perhaps even expected to see a slight increase in weight if you've just added back in vegetables. But once you've been eating then routinely for a couple of weeks, you body will be adjusted to that, and you'll start to see your losses again.

But no, some extra servings of veggies won't making you actually gain weight. And I can't remember the thread this was discussed on before, but standard serving sizes of vegetables are a joke - it was 5 broccoli florets as one serving! Maybe if you are trying to encourage people who don't want to eat vegetables by saying "see, you only need a small amount" or something like that. But for those of us who enjoy our veggies and eat generous portions, it will not derail weight loss long term even if you do see a slight bump. It's kind of like exercise - you don't always see a benefit on the scale right away, but the health benefits are there, and the scale will catch up too!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I can't imagine that you did too much damage... I'm sure the amount of "extra" calories was negligible, so I wouldn't worry too much about it... I don't weigh or measure out my veggies, but I've gone through something similar wondering if I'm eating too many or too much when it comes to veggies, but even on my low carb plan it never seemed to make much of difference when it came to the progress I was making towards getting to my goal...

The way I look at it is I've cut out and cut back on a lot of things to lose weight... so that's left me some "wiggle" room when it comes to having a few "extra" servings of veggies... and for me when it comes to worrying about calories, well I've got bigger "fish to fry" so to speak... dealing with chocolate
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
for me when it comes to worrying about calories, well I've got bigger "fish to fry" so to speak... dealing with chocolate
Exactly! Eating too many veggies is the least of my concerns also. LOL I am not convinced any of us (or anyone else) got fat from eating too many vegetables!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 02-24-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #5  

Thank you all! I'm getting myself a little (a lot?!) whacked out about all of this! My nutrionist is having me add fresh vegetables into my diet to learn how to increase my current low-calorie diet. Before now, it was mostly frozen and canned veggies so I did use the measuring cup for those and I was good with them. It's the whole fresh thing throwing me off as their sizes are uncomparable to the others.

The more I google, the worse I was feeling! Thank you for bringing back to sanity. Who knew eating fresh vegetables could freak me out! And boy are they delicious!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #6  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

You are also comparing volume and weight, which don't necessarily equal. The cup measures volume and the scale measures weight. It is like two women who wear a size 22, one is 5'2 and one is 5'8", although their volume is the same, they weigh different things on the scale. I use this example because my best friend is 5'2", wears the same size I do and is only 220 pounds, I am 280. Same volume, different weight. Totally random example, I know, but hopefully that makes sense
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #7  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

And I hope brussell sprouts don't wreck stuff too much, I have been known to eat an entire bag of frozen b. sprouts in one sitting! LOVE LOVE LOVE b. sprouts!
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlasman View Post
i would suggest to maintain daily protein need and a balanced healthy skin tone, healthy and enhance body's immunity you should intake less calorie and less cholesterol white meat. that will help you to boost up your immunity.
Ok Davidlasman, I don't know who you are, but I am very skeptical about your intentions. Your 3 posts on this forum so far have all been very critical.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #9  
the muse of memory

Quote:
Thank you all! I'm getting myself a little (a lot?!) whacked out about all of this! My nutrionist is having me add fresh vegetables into my diet to learn how to increase my current low-calorie diet. Before now, it was mostly frozen and canned veggies so I did use the measuring cup for those and I was good with them. It's the whole fresh thing throwing me off as their sizes are uncomparable to the others.
Remember that a good bit of the "weight" in fresh vegetables comes from water and fiber. Look at how much volume they lose when you cook them. If you want to have a bit better control, you could buy fresh veggies in those pre-cut/packaged packs and divide them into servings, but personally I think veggies are way too good for us to stress about like that.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #10  

I freaked out this morning, only losing 1.8lbs this week. I totally blamed the vegetables!! But I think it had more to do with stress and hormones than the veggies.

I hope it wasn't the veggies, my portions just got increased to add more plus fruit! I'm going to try and enjoy them instead of giving them the evil eye this week.

My nutritionist insists that even eating more than my required servings isn't going to hurt me but my brain can't wrap itself around that.

I'd be lost without all of you, thank you for posting here even though I seem like I am out of my mind.