Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Can I just have a bad week?

I might be getting to that point where I stop caring as much. I don't think in 2011 or 2012 I ever made it past 5% lost. I've just feel like I've been having an awful week on trying to stay on plan. And when I screw up, I try my best to pick it up again the next day but I continue to eat past my points. I don't feel like vegs or anything good for me. I just want to enjoy a pop and maybe a bit of cheesecake a co-worker brought in. I just want Tuesday to roll around so that I can start over again and super fresh. My weight loss buddy says "exercise more to compensate." I work three 12 hour shifts in a row. Ain't happening unless I sleep less. Is it a crime to have a bad week? As long as I'm trying to have good meals/snacks 60% of the time?

On Tuesday, I do plan to get back on plan with exercise and eating. Maybe I should also limit over doing it with my weekly points. I like having that bumper throughout the week and I hate knowing I don't have any till Tuesday! I don't have any noticible results other than a few inches or pounds. I think I have to lose 35 lbs for anything to be changed clothing and body wise.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #2  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Sounds like you are doing Weight Watcher points. When I was on weight watchers I always felt like I had to wait for the start of my "new week" to get a fresh start. No! You eat too much one day. Okay. Not a tragedy. Just don't wait for the "new week" to start. Start your new week when you wake up in the morning.

Weight Watchers did work for me, for a while. However, I found that I needed to change WHAT I was eating just as much, or more, than how much I was eating.

Each morning is a clean start. Don't wait.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

Nope. I'll give you a bad day, but not a whole week. You went overboard on a Friday? Then your week now starts on Saturdays.
Maybe WW just doesn't work for you. Have you tried looking into some other plans? Not all systems work for all people. One of the most successful losers I have ever met was an old co-worker who started with Jenny Craig for a few months because there was no thinking to it, then transitioned to WW when she felt that she was ready to start making choices for herself with some guidance.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

I do start every day as a new day. I even start every meal as a new time to make smarter choices. If i indulge during work, i'll try to do better when i go to my next meal. But Tuesday is also the same day that i cam really start devoting more exercise /sleep along with the start of my new week.

Weight watchers has worked best for me in the past.
Far better than calorie counting or simple diet. I can't afford more expensive programs. I've went overboard slowly each day. I maxed out my weeklies yesterday and i don't have the time (unless i forgo sleep) to earn activity points.(sounds like excuses but i already workout on my lunch break)

Last edited by Daimere; 02-16-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #5  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Hey, it's ok. Life totally makes a habit of getting in the way all the time, I hate it too!

If you generally like WW and want to stick with it, are there any other tweaks you can introduce? This is how I started losing weight AT ALL, when it was all really daunting. What costs no time (almost) and no money, but has even a marginal benefit? Say, every time you go into a certain room do one push up against the wall. Add in an extra glass of water a day. Get on the bus or train a stop later if you use public transport. If you drive, park ever so slightly further away. Decrease your portions by 5-10%. Cut back on refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup, that **** can muck up your metabolism & makes a lot of people more hungry. Check your sodium intake (if you don't use it already and want an easy way to track it, plug your foods into My Fitness Pal, it totals up some of your macros). Get an extra 15 minutes' sleep. Add an omega3&6 supplement (check amazon for good prices). Wear ankle or wrist weights for part of the day.

None of these things will make a whole lot of difference alone, but if you try to tweak your lifestyle a bit in various achievable ways, it can all add up. Perhaps that would shake something loose

And try not to worry about it too much. Sounds silly, but I always tell myself that increased stress = increased cortisol = increased abdominal fat. That approach works to calm me down with varying results
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

We all have bad days. And I completely understand about having a bad week. Hugs

Just don't let it turn into a bad month or a bad year.
Make the best choices you can and move on.

Good luck
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

It happens to all of us. And since you know you're ready to get back on track on Tuesday, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I will say though, that it sounds to me like you feel like you're depriving yourself of things you like, which can be really hard. Cutting all bad foods out of your life is great for weight loss but I think it's bad for sanity, and guilt. Wanting a piece of cheesecake shouldn't make you feel like you've blown the week. If you miss pop, try buying those tiny cans, or the diet versions, and keep those handy. If you know there are certain treats that you like, try to plan for them ahead of time. If you know you're allowed to have ice cream for dessert after dinner, it may stop you from having a Kit Kat on your break.

I know a lot of people say that they can't have bad foods in the house because they can't stop at one or two. And there are certain foods (like chips) that definitely fit that description for me. But I also know that it's important for me to find a way to both eat healthy and allow myself to occasionally enjoy the treats that I love, and that means finding a way to be satisfied with one cupcake or a handful of chips. It's not always easy, and some days are better than others, but if I can alleviate the guilt I feel every time I eat something that's not a carrot or a piece of celery then I know that I am that much closer to being able to lose the weight and keep it off for good.

In short, plan your treats, eat a bite of cheesecake, get back on track tomorrow. And we're gonna have to find you some recipes that are gonna make you always want to eat your veggies

Last edited by charliee; 02-17-2013 at 12:48 AM.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #8  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
I will say though, that it sounds to me like you feel like you're depriving yourself of things you like, which can be really hard. Cutting all bad foods out of your life is great for weight loss but I think it's bad for sanity, and guilt. Wanting a piece of cheesecake shouldn't make you feel like you've blown the week. If you miss pop, try buying those tiny cans, or the diet versions, and keep those handy.
I already track using WW apps. I actually don't deprive myself of anything to be honest. I've had a slice of pizza (or two), chinese food, cupcakes, meatballs, sliver of pie and other things throughout the last two months with no worry. Those just have been better weeks because I've planned for it/chose smaller portions (or what seemed like a portion). It all started earlier this week when I was craving chocolate. I had both portions over the course of two days (I got super dark that was hard to eat in one sitting). Either way, I think that got my brain thinking, "hey, we're going back to eating junk again. Huzzah let's crave MORE junk again." I think I've over indulged a little every day. Also, my tom might be near. I'm not sure. I'm still waiting (the lower fat has screwed my cycle up a lot and I'm not sure when the next day is supposed to be). Most weeks I'm okay. This is the rest of my life. 75% of healthy foods and some treats and everything in moderation. I'm trying to think more like a healthier, thin person. After all this stress about my paycheck is over, I can breath a sigh of relief (short month = short check unless I do ot).

I also try to limit pop to very occasional treats because it was giving me severe headaches for months until January when I wiped them out/limited my coffee. I know my pop craving this evening was emotional cause work was horrible. I was doing all the work and it was stressing me out. Plus my body was hurting. I did just have a plate of the food everyone brought (plus some ice cream) but I'm limiting myself to one plate. I'm full anyways! Everything else I brought is healthy (plenty of broccolli and fish and fruit and popcorn).
Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: See sig...

Height: 5'8

I like the idea of staring over every day. I have gone off and on diets a bunch of times. This time around I am allowing myself to have a cookie. If there are cookies at work, I have one. I often have one almost mindlessly, happy with the sweetness of it and then move on.

One or twice this backfired, especially if I am at work and bored but I often fix that. For instance lat time there where some chips in the food shelf at work and I had one. Nothing huge just a taste. but one turned to 2 four mins later, then three, and then I rolled up the bag, clipped it, and tossed it into the back room and closed the door. LOL I mean sometimes it happens. I think, like said above its good for the soul and the mind if we allow ourselves to indulge now and again. Just be mindful.

I will admit though that I don;t use weight watchers, I just calorie count so I don't know if that affords me a little more wiggle room or not. Either way this is what's been working for me.
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
I already track using WW apps. I actually don't deprive myself of anything to be honest. I've had a slice of pizza (or two), chinese food, cupcakes, meatballs, sliver of pie and other things throughout the last two months with no worry. Those just have been better weeks because I've planned for it/chose smaller portions (or what seemed like a portion). It all started earlier this week when I was craving chocolate. I had both portions over the course of two days (I got super dark that was hard to eat in one sitting). Either way, I think that got my brain thinking, "hey, we're going back to eating junk again. Huzzah let's crave MORE junk again." I think I've over indulged a little every day. Also, my tom might be near. I'm not sure. I'm still waiting (the lower fat has screwed my cycle up a lot and I'm not sure when the next day is supposed to be). Most weeks I'm okay. This is the rest of my life. 75% of healthy foods and some treats and everything in moderation. I'm trying to think more like a healthier, thin person. After all this stress about my paycheck is over, I can breath a sigh of relief (short month = short check unless I do ot).

I also try to limit pop to very occasional treats because it was giving me severe headaches for months until January when I wiped them out/limited my coffee. I know my pop craving this evening was emotional cause work was horrible. I was doing all the work and it was stressing me out. Plus my body was hurting. I did just have a plate of the food everyone brought (plus some ice cream) but I'm limiting myself to one plate. I'm full anyways! Everything else I brought is healthy (plenty of broccolli and fish and fruit and popcorn).
Those 12 hour shifts sound killer. Props to you for being able to give up pop and coffee, I've limited my pop intake severely but coffee has got a serious hold on me. Sounds to me like you know what you're doing and just had a bad couple of days. It happens. Good luck next week!
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote