3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Protein Powder vs Real Foods (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/275117-protein-powder-vs-real-foods.html)

Smiling_Sara 02-05-2013 08:51 PM

Protein Powder vs Real Foods

Question for you all. What are your thoughts of adding protein powder to say a smoothie? Packed with protein. 1 scoop, 26 grams. This wouldn't necessarily to after a workout for recovery reasons. But say for breakfast so I wouldn't feel so hungry mid morning, etc.

If someone gets too much protein, could that stall their weight loss?

shcirerf 02-05-2013 09:37 PM

I don't see a problem with it. I have a long stretch from 7:30 to 12:30 so I drink the Weight Watcher protein shakes mid morning to keep me from starving.

AwShucks 02-05-2013 09:54 PM

I love that idea! I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast, and when I don't have time to cook something healthy. Adding protein powder is just a little way to give a fruit smoothie a little more "staying power." YUM!

alaskanlaughter 02-05-2013 11:25 PM

i make a protein shake almost daily with protein powder, splenda, scoop of fiber, a banana, ice cubes and water...big and filling and keeps me full for a long time

Elladorine 02-06-2013 10:31 AM

I have smoothies every so often for breakfast, and I always add some protein powder in with my berries, spinach, yogurt, and walnuts. When I was having them daily I was still losing. :T

lunarsongbird 02-06-2013 10:47 AM

I go to a weight loss center that requires 3-5 protein drinks a day that contain about 15 grams of protein each. I love them. They help keep me full and allow me to make good decisions at mealtime.

LockItUp 02-06-2013 10:50 AM

I definitely use protein powder. Sometimes in a shake, sometimes mixed with greek yogurt when I really need a protein punch. The only way it would stall your weight loss is if the calories from said protein powder were taking you out of your caloric deficit. I think it's a great thing to have on had for sure!

Goddess Jessica 02-06-2013 12:24 PM

I don't use protein powder but that's only because I really don't like the taste of it (and yes, I've tried tons of different brands). Instead, I use something like greek yogurt to increase my protein in a smoothie. Admittedly, it's not as packed with protein.

synger 02-06-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica (Post 4623698)
I don't use protein powder but that's only because I really don't like the taste of it (and yes, I've tried tons of different brands). Instead, I use something like greek yogurt to increase my protein in a smoothie. Admittedly, it's not as packed with protein.

If you don't mind a more savory base, you might try cottage cheese, or farmer's cheese. They both have a very high percentage of protein.

synger 02-06-2013 12:31 PM

Oh, and for the actual OP's question, I keep vanilla and chocolate whey protein powder on hand. I don't use it a lot, but it's great for breakfasts on work days when I'm tired of hard-cooked eggs or cottage cheese (anything I don't have to cook in the morning). I kind of go through spats of remembering it, using it, then getting out of the habit... until I rearrange my dry goods shelves, see the containers, and remember how handy and yummy they are.

When I'm limiting calories, they're very helpful.

EagleRiverDee 02-06-2013 12:33 PM

I also use protein powder. It's a regular breakfast for me and I like that it satisfies me until lunch.

I use Plant Fusion (it comes in chocolate, chocolate raspberry, berry and vanilla- I usually just get vanilla) and I also use another one that apparently I'm not allowed to name here (???). I usually blend the two.

Roo2 02-06-2013 12:54 PM

Ideal Protein Shakes

Smiling_Sara 02-07-2013 02:29 PM

This is great news! My morning protein smoothie contains whopping 42 grams of protein, but I do not snack at all in between meals, and find my lunch and dinner to be smaller, since I'm not so hungry.

I took a nutrition class, and the teacher kept saying too much protein is not good, and you shouldn't get it from powders. I'm sorry, but if I'm going to pack a lot of punch into something so small ( smoothie ) and it won't harm my weight loss, I gotta do it. Right?

I wish I knew how much is too much protein though.

sontaikle 02-07-2013 02:38 PM

I used to have protein shakes after my lifts, but I can't drink something cold right now in this weather so I've been having Quest bars instead. I should really be making the shakes (they're cheaper!) but I've been too lazy :lol:

lunarsongbird 02-07-2013 08:07 PM

I thought this was an interesting Q+A about protein: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy11.htm