Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #16  

Dieting and eating right should not be so miserable! Others above had some great advice and suggestions, I hope you follow up with them.

There is no need to give up coffee if you don't want to. There is another thread here with someone asking if it affected weightloss. I replied that all of my weight has been lost drinking about 20-24oz a day so I would say it didn't effect me! (I drink it black but the problem for someone would be adding sugar and/or milk/cream, etc. bringing up the calories. You can still add them, you just have to count them. A 200 calorie coffee isn't worth it to me!).

I'm sorry you are struggling. But please don't give up! We are here to help you, I don't want you to quit after working so hard this past month.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #17  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Have you had your adrenals checked in the past?

Being that exhausted must be concerning. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? It sounds like you might not be getting enough nutrients in your diet.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #18  
Ghost in the Shell

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
Being that exhausted must be concerning. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? It sounds like you might not be getting enough nutrients in your diet.
I have to agree with the above. I recently started taking a multivitamin, and before I felt tired a lot. Exercising wore me out super quick. Now I feel like I'm just bursting with energy most of the day. I also sleep more soundly at night, which is an important factor. If you don't get a good, deep sleep you likely won't feel rested afterwards.

Also, if you quit coffee and don't have another source of caffeine, you may be going through caffeine withdrawal. I've tried giving up caffeine in the past and I just can't. What I did instead was switch from coffee to diet soda.
Batou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 283/255/199

Height: 5"6

So a typical daily menu for me would be as follows;

B-branflakes or original granola cereal with skim mile...both measured
L- 100 cal snack bar, raw veggies, whole grain weighwatchers english muffin with 1tbspn of peanut butter
S- whole wheat fajitas with boneless skinless chicken.

B-fruit smoothie with real fruit, low fat yogurt and oasis health break juice
L-soup
S- mixed green salad with low cal dressing (measured)

* I drink about 10 bottles of water daily.
nichole87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #20  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Oh goodness. It doesn't look like you are getting nearly enough protein in your diet. Your likely not getting many of your necessary amino acids. Also, here is a great article about protein and weight loss: http://www.wellnessresources.com/tip...s_weight_loss/
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #21  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I am typically not someone who says this, but unless those are bigger than average portions, I don't think you are eating enough. I'm always skeptical about the impact of that on weight loss, but it definitely would account for why you feel so tired.

I would try adding some additional food, and I agree with lunarsongbird that I would focus on adding additional protein rather than more carbs.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #22  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole87 View Post
So a typical daily menu for me would be as follows;

B-branflakes or original granola cereal with skim mile...both measured
L- 100 cal snack bar, raw veggies, whole grain weighwatchers english muffin with 1tbspn of peanut butter
S- whole wheat fajitas with boneless skinless chicken.

B-fruit smoothie with real fruit, low fat yogurt and oasis health break juice
L-soup
S- mixed green salad with low cal dressing (measured)

* I drink about 10 bottles of water daily.
Is this all you're eating?!?! Where's your dinner? Girl, get thee some food in you!!! I prefer fitday when i restart, I've used fitday, loseit and mfp, fit day has this handy little calculator that will give you a graph of how much carbs/fats/protein you're eating per day. You absolutely NEED proteins and fats to be successful. Fats give your mouth that satiety, that you've actually EATEN something and they allow for numerous, neccesary proccesses in the body. It sounds absolutely counterintuitive, I know, "I need to lose fat, so I'll quit eating fat". No bueno!!!

Your low-cal dressing, what did they replace the cals with? Did they add more sugar? Personally, I can't use fake sugars, they send my system into some funky, water retaining, I feel like crap spiral. So if I want sugar, I use a tsp of the real McCoy, or honey or agave nectar.

I hope I don't sound harsh, but it sounds like you're starving yourself. For breakfast, try pairing your carb/starch like the muffin with a protien nut butter, almond, cashew, peanut, plus a nice fruit, orange, apple, kiwi, even melon OR try a serving of fiber 1 with a serving of kashi go lean and skim/almond/soy milk and fruit. Lunch could be 2 servings of kale/spinach with tomatoes or peppers or some other veggie you like, with lean protien, grilled chicken/turkey/fish drizzled with olive oil and balsamic, or even a flavored olive oil and a smaller fruit. Great snacks are laughing cow cheeses with crackers, I like crunchmaster's gluten free sea salt, you get 28 crackers a serving. Something about that number '28', plus a wedge or two of cheese, satisfies me that I actually had FOOD. Make dinner more veggie based with the lean protien beans, turkey, fish, chicken, beef if you eat it.

I do use the govt recommended, half my plate is usually raw veggies, 1/4 starch/carbs and 1/4 protien. I had to break myself of building my meal around my meat. But it works. I promise you, if you start eating, healthy, full meals you WILL lose weight, regain your energy and still lose weight.

Also, I didn't cut out coffee, I do not look good in county orange and my family and friends will NOT deal with me until I've had coffee. Thankfully, I drink it black, but on occassion I'll toss in creamer, just count those calories and for every pot of coffee I drink, 12 cups, I drink double that amount of water in addition to my normal daily waters.

Please, I hope nothing I said sounded harsh, its not my intent, but restricting your cals down to 1350 is fine, as long as its plentiful, healthy food. Alot of raw veggies or even lightly steamed/grilled/baked are so low in cal and you can eat SOOOOOO much of them, there's no need to starve.

Please, keep posting, let us be your cheerleaders!! We have absolute faith in you!

ETA: Maybe 's' means supper, in that case, toss in some snacks, grab a container of greek yogurt and half a serving or a full serving of fiber one cereal in it, or kashi go lean, it adds fiber and protien and it may be all you need to jump start some loss. Greek yogurt can also double as sour cream and dip for fruits and veggies. Fiber is so important as we change our diets around, suddenly adding a bunch of veggies to a previous fast food/typical American diet can back things up, fiber helps you get rid of it. I aim for between 35-45 g/per day.

Last edited by Angihas2; 02-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #23  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm about the same weight as you. I try to cut calories, within a low-carb framework, but I find that if I don't eat ENOUGH (especially protein), I definitely get tired and irritable and just feel blech!

Even when I aim for 1200-1400 calories (which allows me to lose 1 pound a week at this weight), I make SURE to eat at least 60 grams of protein. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll lose muscle mass (including heart muscle!).

Keep in mind also that 1-2 pounds a week, consistently, is rather quick weight loss. .5 - 1 pound a week is probably more realistic. And you need to look at it over a series of weeks. Some weeks the scale won't budge. Others you'll lose 2 pounds easily.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #24  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Just another quick and I'm sure totally obvious tip/question? Are your weigh in's at the same time of day each time? Like for example, I may weigh 157 in the morning (naked, post bathroom, pre-eating/drinking) but it's totally within the realm of possibility (i.e. happens all the time) to weigh 163 in the evening (clothes on after dinner). I'm sure you know, but just cross-checking.

Also, you mentioned a few things you measure, but do you measure things like the chicken you're eating or the soup (depending on the type). Although, you seem to be eating so little, I don't see that they could make much of a difference, but they could be something to look at. You don't seem to be getting in much food based on your menu posts. I'm totally sympathetic to you because I started off eating super low cal at like 1200 calories a day and it was so unnecessary when I could have gotten away with a lot more and had an easier time of it. The funny thing is eating that low didn't make the pounds fall off. I never lost more than 1-2 lbs a week. That being said, even at 1200 calories, I seemed to be able to get in a little more food than you seem to be eating. Maybe play around a little with your menus and see what you can do to chuck in a little more protein and excitement.

I also cosign about the vitamins and supplements. I think it's important for everyone but especially when you're eating at a deficit. They really do make a difference in energy, immunity and well-being. I usually take a multivitamin and cod liver oil. But I've recently thrown in extra fibre, calcium and garlic pills as well since I tend to have a normal-high blood pressure and garlic is supposed to be good for that.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote