Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

This sounds like fun! I don't think I've ever seen hula hoops for sale as exercise equipment. I'll have to get my husband to make me one.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #32  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Chrissy bean, i think in Canada they have slightly different tubing specs. Definitely google around for appropriate tubing.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 277/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I am very interested in this! I've never been able to hula hoop (even with the kid-size ones when I was a kid), but I really want to give it a try with the right equipment. I saw some people hooping at an outdoor concert last summer and they looked like they were having the best time. And the things they could do with a hoop just blew me away! The fact that it also good exercise is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by allieballiebee; 02-06-2013 at 02:01 PM.
allieballiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #34  
Hottie hooper healer

Wink

Hooping is a blast for sure! And if all you can find is a kids hoop, no problem. Just do lots of off the body moves, like tossing it up in the air!

And the rumors are true, I'm over forty and a cofounder of hottie hoop camp. It's all sorts of a fun hoop party!
Rowan2sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 277/ticker/135

So, I received my very purdy custom hoop last week, and I just cannot get the hang of it! I ordered it extra big (43") since I'm a newbie and still on the "bigger" side of the size spectrum, but it's so slow that I wonder if it's too big? I won't give up, though! I think part of my problem is that I don't have a decent indoor space to really let go and give it a whirl (I have a tiny house with very little empty space). I hate the idea of waiting until the weather improves (I have a gigantic, fenced-in back yard) to really work on hooping, but I think I might have to!

Also, it might be a good idea to take a class... Not sure where, though!
allieballiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #36  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

I've been following this thread with interest, and enjoying the discussions about hula hooping. It's always great to see larger women find an exercise that we can do and makes us feel good!

So imagine my grin this morning when I saw this on my FB feed. I immediately thought of everyone here, in a very good way. How fun is this!

synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #37  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieballiebee View Post
So, I received my very purdy custom hoop last week, and I just cannot get the hang of it! I ordered it extra big (43") since I'm a newbie and still on the "bigger" side of the size spectrum, but it's so slow that I wonder if it's too big? I won't give up, though! I think part of my problem is that I don't have a decent indoor space to really let go and give it a whirl (I have a tiny house with very little empty space). I hate the idea of waiting until the weather improves (I have a gigantic, fenced-in back yard) to really work on hooping, but I think I might have to!

Also, it might be a good idea to take a class... Not sure where, though!

I don't think it's too big. Have you watched a tutorial yet? It's a forward back motion. The hoop will have a rhythm, since it's larger, it will be a slower rhythm versus a small child's hoop.

Here's a tutorial I made a year or so ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJU24J0346Y
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote