Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #16  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
think you could pick up the basics on your own. However, when I found it was more difficult that I thought, it was good to have someone to look at me and tell me to stand up straighter, or push harder. I think posture has a lot to do with it. You could definitely TRY to teach yourself, and if you need more help, you could look up somebody local and find a class.
If any of you have a camera/webcam and would like help/but don't have a teacher, I'm willing to skype/watch a private/unlisted youtube video and troubleshoot you by watching that. I've learned a good bit using videos/DVDs/etc. I rarely go to classes unless it's at a retreat. Either way tape yourself in the beginning and stow it away and see how much you improve in a few months! It's amazing! But I can tell you from the plus size hoopers I've taught that plus sizes girls tend to do two things wrong: 1) afraid to take up space with their body which means they make their moves too small and 2) Bad posture.

Quote:
You even know all of the hoop celebrities! I'll look again into the Hottie Hoop camp. I'm not far from Galveston/Surf Side Beach, and I could go for a day with their day pass. I'm quite sure I'm not ready for Fire Hooping, so I wonder if they have alternative classes at that time for the beginners?
No one will ever force you to fire hoop! I am sure there are alternative classes. I know some of the celebrities but there are a few I still haven't met in person. My favorite classes I've ever taken have been Caryln Mabry's (Caroleeeena). She is a glittering star of amazingness.

Did you take a class with Heather Says? She's so awesome! (she's the only hooper I can think of that teaches in TX other than Lara Eastburn).
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #17  

Height: 5'2"

Daimere, I have been looking at your blog all week and you have inspired me. After watching a bunch of videos, I got so excited I ran out to Dick's right after work today and bought a hoop. It is amazing the difference that a larger and heavier hoop makes. I know the one I bought probably won't be perfect for dancing, but I am hoping to use to to work on basic skills for now. I have been having so much fun, and I'm giggling at myself even though I'm home alone. Unfortunately, from what I can find Pittsburgh doesn't seem to have much of a hooping community. But it's fun, it doesn't hurt my ankles, and I can do it for small blocks of time a few times a day without getting all grody. And hopefully, in a couple of months, I'll be able to start showing off a graceful new skill that nobody else I know can do.

Last edited by HelloNurse; 01-31-2013 at 07:33 PM.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #18  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
I got so excited I ran out to Dick's right after work today and bought a hoop.
YAY hooping! I do it on my lunch breaks at work.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #19  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ha ha I love that this thread is revived!! I'm INSANE for hooping now!!! I completely spazz out alone in my basement with music blaring!!! I can go from the hoop around my knees up to my neck now ha ha I probably look like an idiot but I die laughing and love it so much

I had BRUISES around my hips the first week ha so don't freak out if that happens! and the hip movement side to side is your first inclination, but it's more a step and lean a smidgen forward and work it that way!

give it a try it's a hooooooot
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #20  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
and the hip movement side to side is your first inclination, but it's more a step and lean a smidgen forward and work it that way!
Actually a side to side motion is correct. There are two stances: forward basic stance (90% of youtubte videos show this) and side to side. I found out, I'm naturally a side-to-side-er after a few weeks. Although it's best to practice all stances because you need side-to-side to hip hoop and you need forward basic stance with walking with either leg forward. A few months ago, I started practicing doing clock face hooping method (starting at 9 o clock, turning to 12 o clock, turning to 3 o clock). I'll start in forward stance, then slide my legs into side-to-side, then slide to the other side with the other leg forward. It really helped me work on walking and getting more comfortable with my forward stances (my right leg is SO week in forward stance).

According to hoopnotica curriculum, "forward stance will strengthen and ton core muscles including the back. Side stance sculpts the figure by targeting side obliques."

Also, my friend, Jen Moore said that side stance (her natural), helped her have less lose skin on her tummy after 3 pregnancies and 300 lbs but that's with weight training and anecdotal evidence.

Here's a tutorial video I made on what you can do with your hands while waist hooping for beginners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcCPkXnahW8
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #21  
Hooping my Life Away

I just saw this on the hoopnotica fan page:

Quote:
Check out the amazing results that Hoopnotica Instructor Nina Larsson got from doing the Hoopnotica 30 for 30 Challenge!

"When starting this challenge I didn't believe there would be enough time to get some really visible results but I was SOOOO wrong!! And I can assure you I'm still on for hooping at least half an hour/day!"
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #22  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
ha ha I love that this thread is revived!! I'm INSANE for hooping now!!! I completely spazz out alone in my basement with music blaring!!! I can go from the hoop around my knees up to my neck now ha ha I probably look like an idiot but I die laughing and love it so much

give it a try it's a hooooooot
Trazey! I'm so glad you jumped in so I can say THANK YOU!! Thank you so much! This all started because of you! As fun as that video that you posted looked, nothing could have prepared me for the sheer JOY I've found. Yes, hooping seems silly, but it's movement, it's healthy, and it's FUN! That's what exercise is supposed to be, right? I can't wait to get better at it. Again, thank you so much for bringing up the subject of hoop dance in the first place!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #23  
I think I'm losing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
If any of you have a camera/webcam and would like help/but don't have a teacher, I'm willing to skype/watch a private/unlisted youtube video and troubleshoot you by watching that.
I'm going to find the supplies to build a hoop this weekend. When I have that accomplished, I might take you up on that offer. I'd really like to progress quite a bit before the end of March if I'm going to try out that camp.

Quote:
Did you take a class with Heather Says? She's so awesome! (she's the only hooper I can think of that teaches in TX other than Lara Eastburn).
I actually had 2 teachers, but I'm not sure they were "experts" on the level of the folks you mention. One was Karen, and her photo is on the camp site as a participant last year. She mentioned learning from someone named Breckin, and was quite taken with her and her technique. The other teacher told us her name was "Ducky" (I didn't ask questions! We only had an hour with them!) She was very thorough, explaining posture and how to do the moves before we actually tried them. (Head up, stand up straight, tail bone in, etc.)
Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #24  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I just saw this on the hoopnotica fan page:
Those are some amazing results! You can see the difference in tone, even if there isn't much weight loss.

I don't think I can hoop right now, as I'm dealing with knee issues at the moment. But I will definitely keep it in mind for when I've lost some weight and am looking for fun ways to tone up.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #25  
I think I'm losing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Those are some amazing results! You can see the difference in tone, even if there isn't much weight loss.
I agree. She really did tone up! And, with just 30 min. per day, that's not much of a time commitment! Now, if I just had my own hoop, I'd gladly take that 30 day challenge this month! Off to go shopping...
Old 02-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #26  
I think I'm losing it!

Check out this article I found written by 4 women who tried hooping last summer. It's from the Huffington Post Healthy Living column titled "We Tried It." And, yes, they liked it!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-...b_1562969.html

Last edited by AwShucks; 02-02-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: to fix link
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #27  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

I didn't read all the replies to this forum yet, but I'll throw in my two cents since I've been hoop dancing for about a year and can do all the basics and some 'intermediate/advanced' tricks, though I'm not sure who designates them their levels, as sometimes people pick up an advanced trick with ease while struggling with a beginner trick. It's very indivual.

I started by making my own hoops. I went to the Home Depot, bought two coils of pvc piping, the connectors and some colorful electric tape. The suggestion is to use the heavier PVC to start with. I believe your hoop shouldn't be too much higher than your belly button, if you're laying one end on the ground. There's tons of stuff on the internet to show you how to make your own.

So I made my own in various sizes. I eventually moved to lighter hoops and now my heavier ones bruise me, but not everyone moves quickly to the next size down, and it's not necessary to race to it.

I progressed so quickly because I practiced for literally hours everyday. 2-3 at least, and I followed tons of tutorials and tried all kinds of tricks. Some I never got the hang of, and some I feel I'll never forget. I just did that because I was really passionate about it, and still am, but I have less time these days. You should practice at your own pace.

A safety tip to remember is not to hoop on bad bruises. It IS an injury and can get worse. Take a break or practice hooping on another area if you feel you can, or practice corkscrews, which are off the body.

I recommend the Hoopnotica workout/training dvds, but not necessarily their hoops. I second Hoop Mamas on Etsy.

Hoop dance can be really fun. The best thing for me is to put on loud music and try to match my dancing to the music, but when I first started and all I could do was waist hoop it was still tons of fun just to hoop to some loud music. I think the rythm is what makes it so relaxing.

I certainly recommend stretching out before dancing.

Anyways, those are all my little tips. Just do it for fun. And yes, big girls can hoop. Admittedly, I'm a pear shape so my waist is actually not too big, but I have some trouble hooping on my hips. I have heard from some people with apple shapes that it can be more difficult, but eventually you do get it.

HAVE FUN HOOPING. ^.^
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #28  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
I'd really like to progress quite a bit before the end of March if I'm going to try out that camp.
I think doing a March 30/30 helped me progress quite quickly! My first year, I did 30 minutes (at the least. It'd usually span to a few hours) for 30 days. Practice makes progress!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #29  
I think I'm losing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalrus0 View Post
Anyways, those are all my little tips. Just do it for fun. ...HAVE FUN HOOPING. ^.^
Thanks for the information! Interesting. My friend is more apple shaped, and she's having trouble. I'll tell her that there may be something to that... It might encourage her.

I did make my first hoop. I forgot that I had read somewhere not to use the first foot or so of the pipe, because it would be flat. So, I made one that's a little smaller than I intended because I had to modify to make it more round. It's about 42" diameter, but I could use it. I'm going to stick with it for a while, and hopefully I won't have to go any bigger.

What I need now are the pretty tapes. Are those available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby? I saw some on Amazon, but I don't want to wait for delivery! ha! Specifically, I think I need some of the grip tape to put on it, because my hoop is a bit slippery "naked" -- I have trouble bringing it back up if it slips to my hips. I know my local Michaels has the colored duct tape -- can you use that?

Daimere, I'm going to try to 30/30 this month. I have a few days to make up, now!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #30  
Hooping my Life Away

You can use duct tape. Slice it through the middle and tape around the hoop in stripes at a diagonal. Taping hoops takes some practice, so don't worry so much about it. Duct tape is a grip tape but I find it slicker than gaffer. But some people prefer duct. *shrug*

My friend (that lives in KS) just texted me:
Quote:
You're a really good teacher. When I'm sucking, I think of all the stuff you say about the sound of the hoop falling is the sounds of learning and growing. It keeps me from getting discouraged. Even the worst ten minutes of hooping is more exercise than I get without it.
Awww!