Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #16  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Dukan Diet. It's low carb but unlike most low carb plans, it's low fat too. The allowed foods are lean protein, veggies, no/low fat dairy and oat bran - that's different than oatmeal, it's the outside hull of the oats. It's really tasty and very filling, and for me, it's a big part of why this plan works for me but Atkins and more traditional low carb plans don't.

I also have a personal preference for low fat dairy - I really just like it better. A few years ago on my birthday, I took my son to Haagen Daz (sp?) and although I was dieting at the time, I had made the decision that I could have whatever I wanted that time. And after looking and looking, what I finally picked was frozen yogurt - it was what sounded best to me, really and truly. So this plan really just synchs up with the foods that I already prefer to eat.

The other interesting component of this diet is that after the initial very, very low carb phase, you carb cycle by alternating days when you have all protein (plus the oat bran - dairy counts as protein) and days when you have protein and unlimited veggies.

I absolutely thought this was a wacky, "fad diet" when I first heard about it. But then I read the book and a lot of it really made sense to me. I also had a number of friends who decided to give it a go, so I figured I would too and we all had amazing success.

Like most low carb plans, it's a phased diet and one of the things I really like about it is that there is a specific phase to "consolidate" your loss. So you don't just add back in foods willy nilly, there are specific guidelines to help. Unfortunately, I didn't make it that far the last time but I have a lot of confidence this time - mostly about how I can live within the confines of the diet but still make it work to fit my life instead of the other way around.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #17  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I started this month with a healthy eating/Simple Diet mesh, to healthier choices and now I started Weight Watchers. I try to add in extra veggies every meal I go. I'm also trying to do some fruits this time. Also, I'm going to change some of the healthy guidelines to suit my body (oils versus whole foods with healthy fats...heck no! I'm going with the food!).

I started the month dedicating myself with just 30 minutes of hooping in any way every day. Last week I added Slim in 6 but I think Si6 has upset my psoas (I've never had hooping hurt my psoas before). So I decided to quite Si6 this week. I've focusing on yoga and barre workouts along with my hooping. I figure this time I'm more likely to succeed since I have one base form of movement that I love. When I don't feel like exercising, I can't say no to hooping or another calorie burning flow art. I have multiple hooping events this year which will encourage me to stay on plan (April training, June festival and another festival later in the summer/fall).

Last edited by Daimere; 01-23-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #18  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I am using the Paul McKenna system. I am DONE with diets. I want to eat normally, which I have rarely done at any point in my life. Feast or famine. I want to re-train my brain to eat only when I am hungry and to stop when I've had enough. I'm tired of being a fool for food.

I am currently exercising a ton. I am not exercising to lose weight (but it is doing that). I am exercising for fitness to play rugby. It's been amazing. I haven't played sport since I was a teenager. It has really motivated me to get fitter. I don't go to rugby training to get fit. I get fit to train for rugby. If I lose slower because I'm putting on muscle....well then - hurray!!!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi.. interesting to see the different plans and approaches folks use here.

I use the exchange plan. It's similar to the exchanges in Richard Simmons Food Mover of years ago. Also similar to food plan from American Dietetic Assoc. I recently have seen a registered dietician. She helped me tweek this plan and divide up the foods in better portions during the day. I learned that I wasn't eating enough for breakfast and when I increased that amount I did better for the rest of the day. Calorie wise... it's about 1400 per day.

I have my journal where I put down my plan for the day. Also, I have it set up to check off the exchanges as the day goes on. I also write down my health goals for the day, thoughts, successes and more. Of course, I always right down my daily gratitudes (I have for 14 years - keeps life in perspective! There's a thread for gratitudes here, too.)

I aim to drink lots of water. My exercise consists of stretches and strengthening types.

I am going back to using the techniques of guided imagery, meditation and self hypnosis. It's been helpful in the past. I use some of the techniques of Paul Mckenna, too.

I, too, use Dr. Beck's Diet Solution to help me in the area of 'living' with food in a sane manner. It's helpful to me. It's a congnitive approach.

I use 3fc for my support and inspiration.. and another Friends group, too.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-24-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #20  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I'm doing keto, or what most call a low-carb diet only my plan is very low carb. I have a blog link in my sig if you have interest or questions. But basically my macro breakdown is 75%fat/20%protein/5%carbs and I also keep track of calories on top of that so that I know I'm in a deficit and that my body is burning stored fat and not dietary fat. There are many reasons why this is working for me but mostly the appetite suppression has been the major deciding factor on staying with it, and the fact that my blood pressure has really gone down since hitting my stride.

I have successfully lost weight on good ol' CICO, but I was always hungry and one bad decision away from an all out binge. With keto I'm not even thinking about food until I'm ready to sit down and eat.
My plan is somewhat similar, but not as low in carbs. It definitely presents as a "low carb diet" to those who eat a lot of grains, but it seems kinda high to the low carb groups. I aim for no more than 75 grams carbs in a day (but usually am far, far less), and I cycle between 1200 calorie days for 2-3 days and then one day of 1800. I eat a lot of veggies. Because of mobility issues, I don't exercise as much as I'd like. Some stretches and knee-strengthening moves, but nothing else beyond some (very slow) walking.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #21  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

My plan is so convoluted and breaks so many "rules" that I know some people would cringe if I explain it to them

First and foremost, I calorie count. Here are my rules:

1) No measuring, just eyeballing portions. Early on I googled what certain portion sizes looked like and use that as a guide. I break this rule for high-calorie things like peanut butter, though.

2) Calorie counts are rounded. If something winds up being 175 calories, it is rounded to 200. Most things are rounded up (i.e. 160 calories would also round up to 200, not 150).

3) No writing things down. My calorie count is kept in my head (this is why I round things ).

4) Items 25 calories and under aren't counted unless a large number is eaten.

5) No food is off limits.

Now, even though "no food is off limits," I try to eat as healthy as possible. I currently eat mostly primal foods, but I am not 100%.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #22  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I am currently on my own plan. I started last January by cutting back portions and making healthier choices. I then joined Ideal Protein in February and followed that for about two months before it got too costly for me. Doing that program I realized low carbs was best for me as it really helped curb my appetite.

Unfortunately, I fell off the diet bandwagon for about 5-6 months and gained about 30lbs back I restarted my healthy eating habits in October. I am learning more and more what my body needs and/or requires. This has been a total learning process for me. Actually, I'm still learning as I go.

But, what I do know is that keeping my carbs under 50g/per day keeps me satisfied and stops the cravings. I keep my proteins lean (though I do love the occasional steak) and eat lots of vegetables. I enjoy unsweetened almond milk as a snack or a low carb protein bar. I have found low carb tortillas and low carb bread so I can have my grains that I oh so dearly love on occasion. Oh, I also do my best to eat at the same time every day. My stomach will sometimes tell me by grumbling a bit that's it's time to eat if I'm not paying attention to the clock. It's amazing how your body gets used to a routine.

Exercise has up to this point mainly consisted of walking almost daily, sometimes twice a day and increasing the distance. Recently I started the C25K program and am now incorporating some jogging into my routine. My husband bought me some exercise bands and have started using those as well.

I track all my food and exercise daily using MyFitnessPal. This may sound Type A, but, I keep a spreadsheet of my daily weights and notes on the side if I'm experiencing constipation or TOM or changed up an exercise routine so I can figure out what causes fluctuations.

Since I restarted this "lifestyle" in October I have lost those 30lbs (again) plus 10. It seems to be working for me so far so I will keep at it!
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #23  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

I am using the Ideal Protein plan. I find that it has significantly helped me with several health issues, and because it is so restricitve, it is very easy for me to follow and maintain. I know exactly what I can have and what I can't. Once I get to goal, my doctor is going to sit down with me and we will draw up a plan that I can realistically follow forever, while making sure I keep the foods I am allergic to away from me.

I have done so many different plans, but with them being too open to options, I wasn't eating very healthy.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #24  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

It's been a long road for this weight loss. I've done several plans and have constantly been changing it up. Maybe the variety is what I need? The consistent part is calorie counting, reducing simple sugar, processed foods and eating low caloric density foods. What those foods are and my protein/fat/carb ratio has changed a lot. Currently I am eating a mostly vegan/non-processed diet that's pretty carb heavy because it's plant based. I am full on fewer calories and feel great with the natural products - and no simple sugars (other than fruit). I even gave up Diet Coke! That's a big one for me!

When I stay off the sugar roller coaster and eat higher complex carbs (whole grains, fruits, veggies, beans, lentils, etc.), I lose weight. When I eat sugar bad things happen.

Also, a real big one for me, is that when I commit to making myself a priority, I lose weight. Taking the time to plan my meals, chop fresh veggies, exercise, wear clothes that look nice, tame my wild, curly hair, do my nails - all of these things make me feel good and seem to go along with the mentality that "I am worth taking care of - inside and outside."
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #25  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Right now mainly calorie counting, while slowly nixing more processed foods and trying to stick to clean-er eating. Baby steps for me, but calorie counting is a HUGE help and game changer for me, so it is what I stick with and I do not feel deprieved. Currently I am putting a huge emphasis on making sure most of my intake consists of whole foods, fruits, and veggies.

As far as exercise, I love doing different programs like P90X, 30 Day Shred, soon will be Insanity, and tossing in running/walking/kickboxing and more into the mix. I like to keep things fun and interesting, but I also love having a routine for the work week and being more spontaneous with my workouts on the weekend, such as taking a run or walk with my husband, playing basketball together, whatever keeps us moving!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #26  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostMe View Post
I am DONE with diets. I want to eat normally, which I have rarely done at any point in my life. Feast or famine. I want to re-train my brain to eat only when I am hungry and to stop when I've had enough. I'm tired of being a fool for food.
This! Oh my goodness...This! However, just last year my definition of "eat normally" changed dramatically. I have lost over 50 pounds on weight watchers in the past, but I was using a lot of processed and food-like substances. Last year- I took some time to think about it and though..."Hmm....100 calorie packs. That is NOT eating normally."

I would like to be 100 pounds slimmer so that my DH and I can try conceiving next year. I need the extra support.

So I have signed up with the Metabolic Research Center. I had to get doctor approval and I meet with a weight-loss consultant twice a week. The diet low-carb and relatively low-fat (which I don't necessarily follow). It utilizes protein supplement drinks and ketosis.

Just recently I went very low carb to push myself into ketosis, which only took about 2.5 days! HOORAY! I'd like to keep my carbs around 40 grams. My plan is called meta-balance and incorporates all the food groups...whole grains, veggies, fruit, protein, dairy, ect.

I'm pretty excited about it. I also go to the gym Saturday-Wednesday and am currently participating in the 60-day t-tapp challenge.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #27  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm making this up as I go.

I avoid added sugars and avoid most simple carbs (although I will have an occasional bun or slice of pizza). Nothing deep fried. Lots of veggies and fruits, chicken breast, some nuts and healthy oils, and the occasional protein bar/shake. I always have a fresh salad to add to my meals at home. VitaCakes and no-added-sugar ice cream for treats. Aspartame-free diet sodas for my soda fix (I refuse to drink sugar and have a bad reaction to aspartame). I eat out a lot, so I've armed myself with knowing what I can safely order at most places.

I write everything down, and have done so for nearly a year. No measuring and no counting calories, although I do my best to know proper portions and be calorie-aware. Writing it down helps me gauge what I've had for the day and even the week, so I can determine what I still have room for and remain completely mindful about my eating habits. I've realized that everything I eat counts, so I just have to make sure it counts in a good way.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #28  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

45 mins of cardio a day and for now I cannot lift weights, because of well nevermind. Reduced carbs drastically. Mainly have chicken breast, veggies, beans,quinoa and fruit. I only drink water and a cup of almond milk per day. I would like to have pre packaged meals but that is just too expensive, plus I would still have to cook for 4 others. I get some complaints here and there from the fil and kids about food from time to time. But my hubby needed to lose 40+ lbs and the fil is disabled and his weight is affecting his injured knees, so they eat my healthy meals. I still have cookies, chips, candy and junk in my house for the kids. Although they think (including fil) that I am very strict about their consumption of those things. I try to keep calories under 1200 but am not good at really counting. Seeing as how I eat the same stuff a lot I know I am around that range. Good thing I love chicken, and have found many creative ways to make it. But I do miss brown chicken, didn't even know white existed before my 20's.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #29  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

I count calories and exercise mainly walking. I have cut out all soda and stared drinking lots and lots of water.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #30  

Height: 5'7"

I'm using an app called 'Lose It' on my iphone to track calories and exercise. As far as food goes, nothing really off-limits. I just make sure that I stay within my calorie limit. A couple of years ago, I was working with a dietician and I'm basically going back to the meal plan that she developed for me. I'm just working on only eating when hungry and stopping before I get too full. For exercise, walking on my treadmill until warmer spring weather arrives. Then I switch back to walking outside.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote