Nobody noticed I've lost weight

• We flew to Boise this weekend to babysit my granddaughter so that my son and his wife could have a night out to celebrate their third anniversary. We also saw my other son and visited a friend.

Not one of those people noticed that I've lost 35 lbs. I've lost 1/3 of what I need to lose so I would think someone would notice, but nada. It kind of bummed me out.

I know I'm not doing this for anyone else or anything like that, but, hey, it would be nice if somebody noticed! Hhmm, does this mean they didn't notice I was fat??

What percentage of weight did you guys have to lose before someone noticed that you're thinner?
  • I don't know the answer to your question, but I know that some people notice weight loss, but don't say anything. I'm guestimating that I lost at least 70 pounds since last year (maybe more, can't really be exact). Those people who knew I was trying to make changes to my lifestyle said very positive things. Other people didn't say a darn word! I asked a good friend of mine if he noticed I've lost weight and he said "yes, you really lost alot". I asked why he didn't say anything and he said "didn't want to embarass you". Yeah right!

Its hard for some people to give compliments. But you know you've done an awesome job!
  • Hey Sheila

Those people haven't seen you naked! You have!!! You know you lost it!!! Also, you have gained muscle as you lost fat.

I had to get around 290 before anyone noticed, and that was only a handful of people. *shrugs* As great as tons of compliments would be, I'm doing this for my health, so it's no biggie to me, it would just be a nice perk.
  • Some people notice if I've lost five. Sometimes, it takes 20. But what I HAVE found is this: Lots of people don't say anything at all. Let's look at the situation from their prospective. Maybe they're afraid that if they say, "Have you lost weight?", they will be implying that you were or are fat. Because they don't what to hurt your feelings by implying that you're fat, they don't say anything at all, which also hurts your feelings. I know my husband feels that way - poor guy - can't win!
  • I think you could havea 'winner' with your thought if they ever noticed you were heavy to begin with. They are looking at you through the eyes of love so they may not notice any difference. To them you have always been perfect. That is what I choose to believe anyway.

Congrats on your 35 pound loss though. It is a GREAT accomplishment!
  • I know I lost about 50 pounds before anyone noticed, but I had so much to lose that a little didn't even make a dent in it! Once I started wearing smaller clothes is when people really started to notice.

I have had some people mention that they had noticed but didn't say anything because weight can be such a sensitive issue.
  • I went through the same thing. It actually took me losing 90 lbs. for someone (who didn't know I was trying) to notice and say something about it. But the people who did know I was trying were all very positive. Good luck, they'll see it soon!
  • I have to lose about 20 before people really notice. It's starting to happen.

After I lost 10, I asked my mom if she noticed. (Great way to get an honest answer, huh.) She said she was afraid to tell me because it might hurt my feelings. What? I suppose if she'd said, "Wow, you look less like a cow than before," that might have hurt my feelings, but otherwise someone indicating I look thinner doesn't bother me a bit!
  • Sheila,

Hugs! I know just how you feel. I had posted that I was upset that my mom didn't notice my weight loss, but commented that my sister in law looked thinner. Later, I told her we were getting a very small cake for our family birthday celebration, and she said "oh, you do look thinner. I forgot to tell you."

I know it really hurts when people don't notice. But they could just be afraid to comment. Weight loss is a really touchy subject.

Take care,
    sherry
  • I think its just that weight is such a sensitive topic people are afraid to touch it.

The only people who actually SAY anything about my losing weight are those who know I'm trying.
  • i have lost 45 lbs now and still no one comments on my weightloss unless i tell them i have lost weight. Its very frustrating sometimes and it gives such a boost to have someone who doesnt know you are losing weight tell you they see a difference.
  • Keep doing it for *YOU* Sheila! It could be that your sons are just not comfortable bringing it up. Maybe they noticed, but don't want to point out your weight. Maybe they were just too busy with their own lives to take notice. Maybe they look at you, and see MOM, instead of seeing pounds. It could be so many different things. Because we here are all in this together, we'd most likely see the weight loss. We notice things like someone's face looking thinner, etc. But to others, they just might not pick up on things like that.

Keep doing this for YOU, and keep telling US of your progress. You will definitely get the kudos from us
  • Nobody has noticed that I've lost weight (except the Cute Boyfriend who doesn't count).

I actually PREFER my mother not to tell me I've lost weight because her comments are totally invalid since she asked me at my highest weight, "Wow, you look like you've been losing weight." I almost slapped her because it was such a bold face lie, I mean, I gained like 100 pounds but I really think she didn't know what to say about it.... how about nothing!
  • I usually don't get a comment until I reach 50 lbs. loss, of course I will point it out first. TOOT YOUR OWN HORN! Once you declare where your going no one can stop you from getting there.

Miss Chris
  • Sheila I'd have to loose a good 50 lbs b4 anyone notices it on me. I loose it in my chest first legs and arms and nobody see's that except me and hubby of course the belly seems to stay forever...

The most weight I've ever lost was 150 lbs. Kept it off for over 13 years and I can tell you from experience that ALOT of people won't say anything because they are jealous !!! so don't be surprised or let it get in your way. Besides, who gives a rats tookas what people think, and if they are jealous the more reason to loose more and flaunt it !! whoooooooohoooo.

Keep it up lady, 35 lbs is FANTASTIC !!!! your on your way !!!

Hugs and Kisses...