How to stretch the clothing budget

• After the first 10 pounds came off, I went through my closet. I took everything out, and then ONLY put back in what fit and what I actually wore. Everything else came out. I put it in totes labelled by sizes, and threw out what I'd never wear again, no matter what size. Now that I have a clear picture of what I can actually wear, I am starting to worry a bit about clothing in the months to come.

Obviously I can't buy a whole new wardrobe after every 20 pounds. In the totes, I have clothing in sizes 20, 18, and 16, but not enough for a full wardrobe in each of those sizes. I make a lot of my own clothing, but even then it's expensive (and time consuming) to purchase fabric and sew them.

Does anyone have ideas for how to make clothing span a few sizes? I mean, beyond a belt. Do we have much choice beyond wearing one size until it falls off, and then hopefully squeezing into 2 sizes down and skipping one to save some money?

What are some good clothing styles for transitioning?
  • Shop at consignment shops and Goodwill and Salvation Army. Very cheap and you can donate it back when you no longer need them.
  • I did a lot of GoodWill runs when my clothes were in awkward stages. Also, skirts are miraculous, especially with elastic bands. They can go for 2-4 sizes depending and then you can just supplement with t-shirts. Old Navy sales are super helpful on the pocketbook for t-shirts
  • My mom takes my clothes in, she tailors them down a couple sizes. You can only go so far but she took in my size 16 jeans til the fit like 12s. it saves me money lol
  • Quote: My mom takes my clothes in, she tailors them down a couple sizes. You can only go so far but she took in my size 16 jeans til the fit like 12s. it saves me money lol

OMG... I'm a total moron. HA!! I'm a SEAMSTRESS... I make a living out of altering other people's clothing... and for some reason it never, ever came to me that I could just alter my OWN clothing.

Blonde brain!
  • I learned to sew just for that purpose. I'm not an expert, but I can take in clothing with basic seams. I've also found that wrap dresses are really great for several sizes.
  • Quote: OMG... I'm a total moron. HA!! I'm a SEAMSTRESS... I make a living out of altering other people's clothing... and for some reason it never, ever came to me that I could just alter my OWN clothing.

Blonde brain!
    :P yep my mom is a pro at it you can't even notice it so I'm sure your clothes will look flawless too.
  • I wish I could sew well. I have a dress I bought as a maid of honor over a year ago and I am hoping someone will be able to take it in when I hit my goal weight. I really love this dress.
  • Goodwill....
  • I was shocked how long it took the last time for me to have clothes that were truly too big and I still have a bunch of stuff that I did finally buy after losing 50+ lbs. So sadly, I won't need to face this issue for probably 75 lbs or so. I guess it's partly how I'm built but I also buy things like yoga pants and other knits that are probably too tight at the moment, but become very, very forgiving on the way down. And yeah, I am sure I will end up wearing them when they are really too big, but in hopes of skipping a size or two of clothing that I hope to not wear for very long.
  • I'm a HUGE fan of leggings. I wear them under stretchy dresses or skirts with elastic waistbands. I thrown a big shirt on over and belt it with a chunky belt on the outside and voila! I've worn the same size leggings through 50 pounds of loss and haven't had to buy new ones!