Clothing size and weight questions

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hello!

Has anyone found a way to estimate what size they would be if they lost a certain amount of weight? Any calculators or websites out there that I haven't been able to find.

I'd rather be a certain size and not worry about what the scale actually says. If I could be a size 18 or 16 I don't care if the scale says 250.

Any help? Thanks!
  • http://www.mybodygallery.com/
    might help you
  • clothes are sooo weird these days, I wouldn't trust ANY label LOL

The biggest leap of all was from plus size to 'regular' sized clothing for me, getting something in the BIGGGGEST size they sell in the regular dept. was a very very very happy day for me LOL
  • I'm about 225 right now and a size 14 or 16. At 250 I was about a 20. Just for reference, since I'm only an inch shorter than you. I am so happy to be out of plus sizes. It has been a nice transition.
  • Sizes can be kinda wonky. I tried on some different style Levi's and a 4. ,6 and 8 fit. They all fit comfortably. I know I can't possibly be a 4. I have some cheep jeans and they say 11, they r kinda lose but I assume a 9 in that brand would fit. If I believed I was a four I might prematurely stop losing weight. Best of luck.
    Hope that wasn't too negative
  • I think it's different for everyone and the clothing makers don't make it better with their inconsistencies. I remember being very confused when a 14W was too big, but I couldn't fit into a 16? You'll be able to answer your question better once you've lost some and can see how your body is changing and then predict from there.

Mostly - I think it's best not to focus on a specific weight or size. I've learned in this battle that I have less impact on the outcome, but direct impact on my behaviors. Make the goal to make healthy choices and the weight will settle out where it is supposed to.
  • if you want to be a certain size but not weigh yourself or keep track in a different way, i would suggest looking at a clothing sizing chart for a store you want to shop at and keep track of how many sizes you lose and thus how much closer you are to being your ideal size.

for a weight to size calculator, that would be difficult because everyone gains weight differently so someone whos 220 might be a 16 when someone else whos 220 could be a 20
  • I've seen posts from members who are my height and weight - or are very close - and they wear sizes way different from what I wear. Body shape and age will factor in. I don't think there is and accurate way to compare. My advice would be to just keep losing and trying things on until you're happy. Not sure what else you can do.

It's wise not to be too tied to the number on the scale.

Lin
  • Ugh.. I HATE clothing sizes. I make almost all of my clothing so I pay a lot more attention to measurements. Sorry I have nothing helpful to say... I just wanted to express my disgust at how clothing sizes are determined.
  • Quote: I've seen posts from members who are my height and weight - or are very close - and they wear sizes way different from what I wear. Body shape and age will factor in. I don't think there is and accurate way to compare. My advice would be to just keep losing and trying things on until you're happy. Not sure what else you can do.
    Totally agree with this. I also just posted in another thread what when I was losing before, it took about 50 lbs lost (starting at 261) before I really went down enough in size to need new clothes. Sure, the other stuff was big on me, but not huge and unwearable. But there are other people who seem to drop sizes far more quickly. You just don't know how and where the weight will come off, until it comes off.
  • Yeah - the body shape thing is huge. I am a pear/hourglass and lose from my pants very differently from my tops. I have a friend who is more like an apple and we laugh at how opposite we are. I wear a large or medium and she's still in the XL but then I have to wear a 12 or 14 on bottom and she's got 10s. It's all just crazy!
  • No not really it all depends on height, and body shape also. At my biggest 285lbs I was a 3x shirt and 28 jeans I am now a Large shirt and 14 jeans at 182lbs but I am bigger on the bottom and smaller on the top and much shorter then you lol.
  • No real way to tell. I'm 214 and about an inch away from being a size 10, 12s are loose on me. I'm not even that tall I'm only 171 cms. I am hourglass shaped and my weight is very evenly distributed. But there are girls in my height and weight range with an hourglass shape that are a size 16-18. So its really odd.
  • I'm at 227 right now and this week, I bought a pair of size 18 jeans that are pretty darned tight but wearable. I have a size 20 pair of jeans that I ordered online and I can't even zip them up. I have another size 20 pair of jeans that are so loose on me now that I can't wear them.

I've reached a point that I can't order anything online anymore. I have to go try stuff on and I'm wearing anything from a size 16 to a size 22.
  • This thread brought me to tears....
    Last Spring, hubby and I went into a Subway (that has really really small booths) and without thinking I sat down. Then realized it was the first time in 20 years I actually fit into the booth there. I cried. What a wonderful discovery!

This morning reading through this thread I it hit me that very soon I will be shopping in regular women's department. Some 1X things are getting too big on me now. OH MY GOSH!! Just the thought of that possibility made me tear up again.

Remembering a quote from a WW leader of many moons ago...she said "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." She is right!