3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 100 lb. Club

Science geek

Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

S/C/G: 318/ticker/180

Height: 5'8''

Default Science geek

So it occurred to me this morning that I had no idea how fat is stored and burned on the cellular level even though I have a degree in cellular biology and work in medical research. I decided to do a quick search and found an interesting article which I think is fairly straightforward and definitely interesting. I'm not allowed to post the link yet, since I'm too new but I'll keep it and maybe I can reply with it if anyone is interested.

I thought the bit at the end was especially poignant too, considering my random inspiration to look this up: This article presents a lot of science and describes (only superficially) how complex fat storage/breakdown is within fat cells. However, as the Chinese philosopher Sun Tzu wrote, “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.” [paraphrased] People know how much they eat, drink, exercise, and sleep; knowing how the body responds, especially a part of the body that many struggle to control, will help win the fat loss battle.

I think this may be true for me, I hadn't considered the influence of science in my life as it applied to my weight management struggles and challenges with overeating. I am obsessed with knowledge and learning new things especially in the sciences so this could really be a good resource for me. And now I can make it my mission to be balanced and manage the way energy is burned by fat cells... and the article says having multiple small fat cells is healthier than few large, I've certainly got the raw materials--let's go!
melfitstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Height: 5'8.5"

to another Seattleite!!

First major goal met 12/7/12. Next major goal ONEderland!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I am doing my BSC is molecular and cell biology! XD I am also a science nerd as well as various other types of nerdness. Welcome to 3fc.

Slowly getting there one step at a time.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!

I don't have any science degrees, but it's always been an interest of mine. I think of myself as a science experiment in weight loss and maintenance

Goal Story & Pictures • Blog • Pep Talk Blog
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

S/C/G: Highest:266 255/T/~155

Height: 5'4

OoooOoooo! Yay for science! Yes, please repost with the article once you get your "pass"
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #6

S/C/G: 318/ticker/180

Height: 5'8''

Here is that link, finally. If anyone is still interested... I found it enlightening!

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/a...t-burning.html

“As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world....as in being able to remake ourselves.”
-Mahatma Gandhi
melfitstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

interesting read but not very current most up to date source is 2009, would be interesting to see what changed in our understanding in the last 2-3 years.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Awesome member!

S/C/G: 205.4/186.8/138

Great thread! I am getting my Ph.D. in Medicine right now and as a scientist I find that putting my weight loss into perspective with science is super helpful!

Let's keep the good work guys!! We can do this
emmablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.