Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/197/150

Height: 5'2

Unhappy Eatting late @ nite:(

I eat the wrong things late @ nite any idea anyone? Try not to but dont know to stop!..
whit214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A couple of ideas:

1. Make a rule for yourself that the kitchen is "closed" after a certain hour. Chew gum, brush your teeth, or do whatever else you have to do to keep to that rule.

2. Plan into your calories for the day some healthy evening snack. A big bowl of air popped popcorn, for example, would let you munch on something without overconsuming. Make a plan for your snack and stick to it.

3. Hot tea! Seriously, when all else fails and I get that snacky feeling, I go for a mug of tea. It really helps me resist food.

4. Keep the junk out of your house. If you only have healthy foods, you can't eat the wrong things without going way out of your way (driving to a convenience store or grocery store to buy them is a pain when you're already in your PJs). As much as possible, your home should be a place where you don't have constant temptation. If you need to buy food for other people, put it on a shelf designated for them, and remind yourself that it isn't YOUR food...it's THEIR food!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I also wake late at night, get up, and eat stuff I shouldn't. I'm not hungry, don't know why I do it. Well, I don't do it as much anymore. What I had to do was get rid of all the kinds of food I would inhale at night. Peanut butter was the main culprit and then cereal. I don't have them in the house anymore. I don't get up and crave the healthy stuff! I crave the carby/salty/sugary things in the middle of the night. I keep sugar free Popsicles, sugar free jello or pudding or a Greek yogurt for late night snacks. I know how you're feeling! It's a weird urge. Laying in bed trying to talk yourself out of getting up and eating bad things. But the more you think of it the more you can't stop yourself. Ugh. Have no problem with those things during the day either. Anyway, all I can suggest is getting rid of the stuff that calls to you at night.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #4  
the muse of memory

Quote:
4. Keep the junk out of your house. If you only have healthy foods, you can't eat the wrong things without going way out of your way (driving to a convenience store or grocery store to buy them is a pain when you're already in your PJs). As much as possible, your home should be a place where you don't have constant temptation. If you need to buy food for other people, put it on a shelf designated for them, and remind yourself that it isn't YOUR food...it's THEIR food!
This. So much this. Also, if you are getting genuinely hungry late at night, you might consider eating dinner later. I generally eat dinner at 'European' hours, i.e. 7 to 8 p.m., which in the long run means that I don't get actively hungry before I go to bed.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #5  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

This is my biggest problem - so I make sure that I pick a treat (anything from a popsicle to Nachos) and save the calories/WW Points/Etc so that I have enough for that item for my late night treat.

I know some people say that you shouldn't eat after a certain time - but for me? It works to do it this way. At least for now
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

I find making sure that I eat enough during the day, and especially lower carb stuff at night so I don't get blood sugar swings it really helps. I do save calories for the evening, so I can have something later and not blow it. Putting on a sweater or wool socks, or having a hot shower or bath helps, sometimes I eat because I'm cold. Also, getting enough sleep helps - a lot of the time I want to eat at night I'm just tired.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... I also struggle with eating right before bedtime. Lately, I go to bed really early. I end up waking up around 4am.. but, I won't eat then. Maybe this can help get me into a noneating evening. Just a thought for you too.

I understand.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #8  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I'm a big believer in setting up a closing time for eating. This was probably the first thing I did on my journey before I even started calorie counting. I'm a night owl so closing time for eating is 11.59pm. After that time, only plain water is allowed. I used to be a night eater so setting that rule for myself really gave me some control.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

That used to be my worst habit, and it was hard to break. I just finally had to make a decision that I would NOT eat at night after dinner and stick with it. At first it was hard but now that it has been a while I usually don't think about it. And when I do...usually when I wake up in the night (I'm a night owl) and am genuinely hungry... I often come on here and post instead. But I absolutely will not eat at night and that is that. You just have to refuse to do it.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit214 View Post
I eat the wrong things late @ nite any idea anyone? Try not to but don't know to stop!..
If you are eating at night; You should try baby food!

Yes baby food! It might be crazy or off the wall to some! But they have some organic baby food and snacks that taste very good! There are little calories in these items also! When I want to just snack on something on the go I eat Organic Baby Food - Spinach, Apple & Rutabaga. I also eat Plump Peas Dried Organic Baby Food. I love the snacks they have. So, when I am up at 3 am I will eat HappyMelts Organic Yogurt Snacks Strawberry.

Again it might sound crazy; but these items are good and healthy for you. Again I only use them for a snack on the go or when I am up at 3am.
Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

While I think the best solution is just STOP doing it... and you CAN control what you put into your mouth... if you are going to do it, I agree that baby food can be helpful. I don't eat these (or anything else) at night but Peter Rabbit makes some fantastic applesauce or apple/fruit/veggie mixtures in a plastic squeeze pouch that are delicious. I keep them in my desk at work or carry them for a snack when going somewhere. I especially like the apple/peach and apple/grape. They are organic and 100% fruit.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #12  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I have that same problem, and for me, I think its boredom after a certain hour....Since I couldn't seem to break the habbit, I made it work for me...I eat a majority of my calories in the evening but still stick to my limit...My suggestion is figuring out why you overeat at night and come up with a plan off of that

If your trying to curb your cravings, drink more fluids(Unsweet black ice tea is my fav) eat things with fewer calories that get you full(IE veggies) Or cut down on the portion sizes of your nightly snacks...
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #13  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

I have to second (third, fourth) the no junk food in the house thing. If it's not there, you can't eat it. Generally, I don't get to sit down and until about 8 on weekdays, so it's not a problem. Weekends are tricky. But I stand by that it's not WHEN you eat, it's WHAT you eat. I have apples that I can grab late at night. On a hot night, watermelon. I too will go with a cup of tea and a few saltine crackers. Or a serving of cereal.
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote