Many, many gifts of food will be coming in the door all month... Yikes.

• Hi... Gifts of food are so common this time of the year. Let's face it, it's mostly sweets. I don't handle all of that very well. DH loves all the goodies coming in the door & doesn't have a weight problem, He eats like a thin person, however. He can have one or two and be satified.

How do you handle/deal with all the food gifts? In the past I've given it to my neighbor who has five boys that will eat everything. I've also thrown it away at a last resort. Better in the trash than me.

Do you have any hints or strategies to suggest.
  • I take it to my church. They serve refreshments after mass so it works out good.
  • I like to take things to one of the local schools and give it to the teachers. Or if it is something that I really like and is freezable, it immediately goes into the freezer for a later date.
  • I know exactly what you mean. This is Christmas hamper season where I live and it's all Danish butter cookies, toffee, brandy christmas cakes, sugary cereal, processed foods and alcohol! It's not that I don't allow myself these things, I do, but It gets a little too tempting when you have several tins of cookies.

I like the idea of re-gifting. I also tell myself I'm not allowed to eat any of them and they're for gifts and I serve them to people who come over around this time of year or re-gift them as hostess gifts when I'm visiting other people.
  • This will be my first Christmas of not eating total crap, so I'm thinking of regifting.
    Good luck!
  • Yes, regifting sounds good. (Providing I don't eat it in the mean time.) If you know what I mean.

Thanks everyone.
  • Maybe keep a few of the sweets for your husband and donate the rest. If you have a nursing home in your area the residents would enjoy gifts of food.
  • I send them to hubby's work, send some to the local volunteer fire station on training night, put them in the freezer for hostess gifts or gifts for teachers, bus drivers, babysitters or anyone I want to appreciate but don't necessarily want to give something 'big' to, keep some for unexpected guests or give them to my mom as she entertains a lot.