Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 06:29 AM   #1  

Default which first, strength training or cardio?

Hi,
I am currently doing aerobic execise -various Leslie Sansone tapes-five or six days a week. One of them incorporates strength training in an interval workout, but I want to regularly do strength training as well.

I don't have time to do long workouts, and bought a tape from Prevention magazine called "Fat to Firm" which is a twenty minute strength training workout. I figured on the days I do that, I could do one of the shorter Leslie Sansone tapes (one mile ones).

Should I do the cardio or strength training first on those days? Does it even matter?

Also, how many times a week for strength training. I'd be happy to fit in twice a week..

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 05-04-2003, 07:17 AM   #2  

I've always done cardio first. Don't know if that is the "correct" way or not. I'll be interested to hear what some of the more experienced guys and gals have to say...

Christy
Old 05-04-2003, 10:40 AM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I was told by my trainer to do cardio first - it warms up your muscles for the weights
Old 05-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I also do cardio first, mainly because I'm too wiped after doing weights (if I do them right). I asked one of the trainers at the gym, and he said it doesn't really matter which order you do them in, but make sure you do about 5 minutes of cardio warm up before you jump on the weights.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:34 PM   #5  

I do cardio first too. About an hour of cardio and then the weights. By the time I'm done my arms and legs feel like spaghetti!
Old 05-04-2003, 07:01 PM   #6  
Searching

See and I have been told differently. You can do a quick cardio warm up for 5 min. but for full lifting intensity you should lift first. I guess thats why I do a split

Sun-cardio
Mon- UB or LB
Tue-cardio
Wed-UB or LB
Thurs- cardio
Fri-UB or LB
Sat- NO EXCERCISE!

Miss Chris
Old 05-04-2003, 10:31 PM   #7  
Still Hanging Around:)

My trainer has me put a day between my weight-lifting. I do cardio every time I'm in. I try to increase my cardio regularly. I do get bored very easily with it. I enjoy the weights a LOT! So I have to force myself to do the cardio. I normally do it right away when I get there, as if I only get through one thing, I want that one thing to be the cardio. I'm pretty good at getting through the weights, too. My hardest are the arm/shoulder presses. I'm getting stronger though! LOL!

Sandi K.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:34 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

When I was at the gym - I did a 10 min cardio warm-up, then my weights and then my 30 min or so cardio and I always waited a day between lifting.

I am so glad you have been able to keep up with your exercise!! That is just great!!!
Closed Thread