Traditional Thanksgiving or Just Another Day

• So what goes on at your house for the Thanksgiving Holiday? Is it a big traditional family dinner with all the trimming or just another day?

For me it is just another day. I have a 4 day weekend that I am going to spend doing late/early spring cleaning. Ex is moving this weekend and boyfriend is flying in on December 28 for a 2 week visit.

Mom and I will probably hit a Las Vegas Thanksgiving Buffet
  • Usually its a big deal for my family (my parents and siblings and my wife's parents and siblings and their families) and we do the big traditional feast. Everybody comes to my house. We cook the turkey and mashed potatoes and everybody else brings the side dishes. This year is the first Thanksgiving that my wife and I are on our diet... so modifications will be made by us for our side dishes.

You are very brave to do Las Vegas buffets! I love them... but I could never trust myself to go to one because I'd be too afraid that I wouldn't be able to control myself to eat a sane amount of food. There is just too much variety of amazing foods that I would be in binge city.
  • Not doing T-day at home. I like to be the traveling T-day chef for my loved ones. Evil reason behind it...I can secretly make sure the menu is loaded with healthy stuff I can eat. I love to cook and most of my peeps have no problems with doing all the clean up. It's a good trade-off.

Usually the same arrangement for Christmas. But this year we're having a Winter Solstice party at my house, just a lot of homey winter food and fun drinks. After that, just some peace and quiet for the rest of the Holidaze.

This year, I'm not indulging in foods that don't support my goals. I won't be overeating, not binging on carbs, not overindulging on alcohol. I'll let everybody else do it. It's just not fun for me any more.
  • No one can do a buffet like Las Vegas.
  • It's just going to be me and my sweet husband for Thanksgiving. He is very supportive of me losing weight that I'm going to do a small, healthy, and very tasty Dinner.
  • It's also going to be just another day for me too. I did the big feast last year with my family but I don't even have the desire to eat that kind of food this year. Maybe Thanksgiving 2013.
  • Sadly, since my dad passed away in 2000...holidays have never been the same. We simply don't get together. It's a whole dysfunctional family thing. I feel most sad for Mom because she does't have familiy around, but she doesn't want the stress of it all. That's why I visit her at least once a month when there's not a lot of people around, food to make & all the rest.

So it's just H, our crazy cat & I for the holidays. We'll eat healthy. Take a walk in the late afternoon. Probably watch some great old movies & just enjoy me not having to go to work! WOO HOO!!
  • I live 125 miles from where I grew up and my only "family" here are my ex's family (we're still friendly.) My one child, my DD, lives 600 miles away. I rarely have to cook Thanksgiving dinner and get to be a guest in the homes of friends. this is wonderful as I never have all the fuss to deal with or the leftovers.

I'll go to dinner at one of my best friend's dad's house and will bring a dish. Even if I go overboard, it's really only for one meal. But one great thing - everyone knows I've lost weight and am trying to maintain and I'd feel like a fake if I pigged out too much in front of everyone, so that keeps me pretty much on plan.

I wish everyone lots of luck in staying on plan.

Lin
  • DH works nights Wednesday and Thursday so no big dinner. I will probably make a taylored down version of Thanksgiving. A bit bigger than our regular dinner. There is only 4 of us so we don't need tons of food. I have no decided if I will have pie or not. Probably not.
  • I don't have family within 2000 miles (except my kids) so it has always been just me and the kids and maybe a friend or two invited. This year one kid will still be away at college, another kid may be working all day but I hope he will stop in at some point on Thanksgiving, so I am down to three kids to feed for Thanksgiving. I think I will cut way back on side dishes this year and just do a very small turkey, potatoes, gravy, rolls, green beans. And pie and apple salad.
  • Nothing too special. I'll probably go visit my parents, and we'll probably go out to eat.
  • It's traditional here. Family driving here from different places. Traditional turkey dinner, football, etc. It's extra special this year because my 7 month old granddaughter who hasn't been here yet -is coming to town. All the Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Great Grandmas are very excited to meet her.
  • It will be just another day for me as I work the 3-11 shift that day. We'll just have a turkey breast with some sides. Don't know yet what that will be.