Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default I will have a houseful of family for four days at Thanksgivng. You?

(I guess I have asked similar questions about this already this week. Hope it's not too much. As always, I am grateful that you all take the time to check this out.)

I've talked about getting through Thanksgivng Day... But, really - I am overwhelmed at the thought of having seven family members from out of town for Wednesday - Sunday. Only overwhelmed in the 'food' area - I am very excited to have them all here to all be together!!!!

My SIL called and said she is bringing four pies for the weekend. DH and his sister have decided to get all the restaurant food they would eat as kids...a trip down memory lane via food. Of course, I'll get the foods my grandson eats...picky, but - mostly healthy.

We have a big family party on Friday for folks to meet my new granddaughter at my BIL home.

I guess... 'tis the season' is beginning.

How do you get through days at a time with tempting foods everywhere? I guess the bottom line is I have to be willing to push through and make the best choices I can. It would be very easy to fall off the wagon, big time. I plan to have healthy foods available too - so I CAN make better choices. I don't want to feel deprived for the four days - that's tricky too. (can you tell I am stressing over this? )

Anyone else dealing with a house full of people at Thanksgiving weekend?

Really, anyone with thoughts or ideas - please feel free to share.

As always, thanks.

PS - I already made and froze healthy veggie beef soup for Saturday watching football. - this is good.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-15-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

We are having the kids home this weekend. WEll one daughter and her husband and toddler. I guess for Thanksgiving day it will be hubby and I. WE could go out to eat with his family but prefer to stay home and cook our own. Kids will spend the day with their inlaws. I am thinking siblings may drop in for desserts in the evening.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I have 6 people joining our family of 4 and staying with us Thurs-Sunday. I'm concerned because whenever they come, I always binge. I either do it when they're here or I manage to wait and then all heck brakes loose when they leave. I have no suggestions, but just wanted to let you know that I'm in a similar boat. I'm going to just try to take it one hour at a time, one day at a time and try to leave to run errands whenever I can, just to keep my sanity. I'm going to check here a lot for support and inspiration and I"ll try to fill up on fruits and veggies and basically eat all my usual fair (since it's my home, that's an option) but allowing myself to indulge during the actual Thanksgiving meal. I hope it all goes well for you!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Luckymommy - we have very similar history on this. The only couple times I've NOT binged at Thanksgiving weekend - I, too, have had the 'rebound' effect of the 'let down' from eating more healthfully. - where I would binge the next week.

Good idea to check here more often.

This is my plan/ideas, so far:

-I plan to have healthy foods available too - so I CAN make better choices. I don't want to feel deprived for the four days. (I really can't 'keep my environment free of tempting food)
- as Dr. Beck suggests allow several hundred extra calories for each day, if necessary - like I was on vacation.
- remember -I am in charge of the food that goes into my mouth.
- Say: Not fair! - oh well.
- Tatoo 'moderation' to my brain.
- Eat to live... don't live to eat. Food is just nourishment. (hard for me to wrap my brain around this... but, it's really true)
- Enjoy family more than food- including my two grandkids.
- Willingness to use my resistance techniques. (the D's - Distance myself, Drink Water, Distractions, Deep Breathing, Don't drive for food, Don't be a baby.)
- Call a 'food friend'.
- check 3fc often

If people say anything about my not eating alot, I will tell them the truth... I have high triglycerides and I must get them down. Somehow saying that is more 'acceptable' for them to hear than I am trying to control my eating.

I would once like to get through a sane food Thanksgiving weekend and not binge the next week either.

I'll try.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-15-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #5  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I will have a house full of family on Thanksgiving. Everybody comes to my house. My wife and I cook the turkey and mashed potatoes and everybody else brings the side dishes. This year is the first Thanksgiving that my wife and I are on our diet... so modifications will be made by us for our side dishes. We are going to make a cauliflower mash and a lower calorie version of the green bean casserole. I also saw a recipe for a mock stuffing that substituted cauliflower for bread. I'm not sure about that one, but I might try some mock stuffing recipe.

I am not going to be super restrictive on Thanksgiving. I will try to stay on my plan as much as possible, but if I eat a little more than I normally do or eat something I normally wouldn't, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'll just make sure I get right back on my plan.

To that end, after dinner is over I am going to make my family take most of the leftovers home with them after dinner. (I'm sure I'll have to twist a few arms to get them to do that. That includes all of the mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy and desserts. I will keep some turkey and whatever sides that my wife and I make for ourselves. That way, the temptation to vary from our diet plan will not even be present, so there will be no worry about giving into the temptation.

I flirted with the idea of not even bothering to stay on plan for that one meal. I have a friend who does a doctor supervised diet and they recently told him to do one cheat meal for the purpose of preventing / getting past a plateau. I don't know if the science behind that theory is sound, but it makes it tempting to try! I am, however, going to try to do my best to stay on plan. However, if that fails, then I'll chalk it up to preventing the onset of a plateau.

Last edited by joefla70; 11-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote