3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I met with a Registered Dietician today. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/268245-i-met-registered-dietician-today.html)

Beverlyjoy 10-16-2012 07:47 PM

I met with a Registered Dietician today.

The dietician was helpful. The first thing she asked was for me to tell my food story/history to her - which I did. (really long and winding road...as we all have had.)

I said I was feeling like I could never get this food stuff under control.She said that it's never too late and never impossible.

She wants me to eat 1400-1500 calories a day. NO less than 1200. That sounds OK. She said I wasn't eating enough fruit - whole grains. She said I should only lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week. Doesn't sound like enough to me. But.. I just need to get back on track with healthy food.

She helped me arrange my daily food choices in a healthier way. Her thinking was that I was not eating enough food during the day... especially at breakfast. Her thought is a bigger breakfast sets a person up for a good food day. Eating my small breakfasts is setting myself up for being anxious (and hungry) about when to eat and what to eat... also, maybe one reason I was overeating in the evening. Her theory is to eat every few hours. Healthy proteins, healthy carbs, healthy dairy etc. and lots of veggies. We decided that I am very knowledgable about healthy foods and could probably teach a class in nutrition. This is probably true. But, I just can't live in a sane manner with food very it easily.

She thought that my exchange way of keeping track of foods was a good idea. She changed a few things about how amounts are counted.

I told her that it's been 50 of my 60 years I've had to deal with an unhealthy realationship with food. I am weary of dealing with it all. Then, she said one thing that really made me stop and think. That obesity is a disease. ( like diabetes, gallstones, chrones disease, chronic headaches, a bad rash etc) True, obesity is a diagnosis. One of the cures/medicines/healing parts of obesity is food. The right food will help to cure the obesity - and all the problems that go with it. (unhealthy labwork, difficulty exericising, etc) That eating healthfully is just like a regimen that a person with a different diagnosis would have to do to get well. She said.. that if a person breaks their arm there are certain things to be done to get better. It's the same as obesity. Of course, I know that - but, never looked at it quite from that perspective.

She was intrigued with Dr. Beck's Diet Solution book and how it helps give a person a real structured way to get through the hard/challenging times with food. She had heard of it now wants to check it out. It's always been helpful to me when I have been willing to use it. Lately, not at all.

I came home with lots of information and a food diary to keep. I kind of do keep track now, anyway - when I am on track. I'll go back and see her in a month.

I was hoping for a 'magic wand' - but, of course, that's in one of my fairytales. She's not a psychologist and can only help set up my food in a healthy way for me to eat during the day.

I think what she suggests is a little bit of a different approach with food.. so I'll move forward and plan my food for a healthy day.

She said I could make a list of reasons... a long list or short list of reasons why I need to eat my healthfully. After each reason... she said to ask myself 'why' - to extend that thinking, if possible. She said it's OK to have 2 reasons or 102 reasons - whatever feels right.

She is very glad I have friends and sites on the internet to get support. Support is essential and helpful. But, we know that, don't we?!

heathermichigan 10-16-2012 07:54 PM

I love my dietician. :D
If you are lucky enough to get a great one, they can be great support and a huge help.

aniela26 10-16-2012 08:07 PM

Good for you! I see a dietician as well and she's great!

time2lose 10-17-2012 10:20 AM

I am glad that it went well. It sounds like you have found someone that you can work with. Her suggestions sound sensible and I think that you are right to give it a try.

It is really interesting to hear that she thinks you should be losing 1/2 to 1 pound a week. That makes me feel better about my rate of loss right now.

findingfawn 10-17-2012 10:45 AM

Sounds like you found a wonderful resource.

dangerouscurvesahead 10-17-2012 03:53 PM

ive been going to a healthy eating class since july n she is such a help to me! im so glad i decided to go n glad u found 1 u can work with.

Beverlyjoy 10-17-2012 04:20 PM

I appreciate this positive feedback. She was very kind and informative. Sometimes, it's good to hear the point of view from someone, face to face. I am hoping for the best.

Thanks again.