Old 09-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #31  
Come see me on Fitocracy!

S/C/G: 273.0/248.4/240.0(Goal 1)

Height: 5'10"

I've decided to follow the example of some of you ladies and set a goal weight for this month. By The first of October, my goal is to be 249. It might be more than I can do, but it's something to strive for.
Quantum Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #32  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistleberry View Post
25 pounds down is better than good, it's excellent! I've been marveling at your progress; you've been a great inspiration. Please don't feel discouraged if your losses start to slow a little bit.
That is very sweet. Thank You Thistleberry. You know how it goes you want the pounds to leave faster . I am really looking forward to being 230 which is the weight I was a year ago last April when I went in to get my CPAP machine. I will keep eating to plan and exercising and it will come off.

I wanted to share what happened to me yesterday. MY family went to DQ and instead of getting an ice cream/blizzard, I got a arctic rush. It was yummy BTW (lemon lime). When we got I home I started feeling strange. Dizzy and the room would spin when I moved my head. I decided to lay down and the room was still spinning. I took a little nap hoping that would help. I realized when I got up it was probably from having 26g of sugar all at once. I stopped eating processed foods since I started loosing weight. That was the most I had at one sitting and I had sugar overload. I was drunk on a Sugar rush and I did not know what it was at the time .

Last edited by Lishar; 09-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #33  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Week 1:
SW: 145.6 lbs
EW: 143.8 lbs

Total weight loss this week: -1.8 lbs

i'm making good progress for my goal to be 139 lbs by the end of the month. (:

Last edited by Ciao; 09-07-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #34  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Hey folks - just a quick check-in.

I'm still struggling with binging and overeating. It has not been a bang-up week on that score (perhaps slightly better than last week but only slightly).

I have to change something to shake myself out of this behavior. I am just not yet sure what to change!
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #35  
Workin for a New ankle

S/C/G: 256.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
Hey folks - just a quick check-in.

I'm still struggling with binging and overeating. It has not been a bang-up week on that score (perhaps slightly better than last week but only slightly).

I have to change something to shake myself out of this behavior. I am just not yet sure what to change!
I hear ya! I think I sabatoged myself this last week! I was soooo close to my mini goal then PMS and TOM just messed it all up for me. I lost all control! I even stopped working out

I have to go out to dinner tomorrow and so I am giving myself a little wiggle room for drinks etc but we should keep each other accountable this week...
Puffyamiyumifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #36  

Argh! I don't understand. I ate well, I exercised my BACKSIDE off, and I am up .4 lbs from yesterday. There is no way I'll make my Sunday goal of 260 now. It is so frustrating to work so hard, to deny myself and to still see a gain on the scale. When my husband was losing weight, he saw a loss every single time he weighed himself. I know I am not him, and I know women's bodies are different than men's and I can't expect to lose the same way he did, but I feel so discouraged.

I know you're supposed to learn to enjoy the journey, but I don't even want to be on the journey. I just want to be normal weight.

Anyway, I just had to put this out there so it was no longer "in here", as it were. Today is another day, and I'm not giving up.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #37  
Gizmo

I am still feeling under the weather and TOM has started, a double-whamy. So I haven't exercised since Sunday unfortunately, but I haven't been eating too much either for lack of appetite from my cold, so when I weigh in tomorrow, hopefully I won't be too high up from TOM.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #38  
Bella Signora ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Sheep View Post
Argh! I don't understand. I ate well, I exercised my BACKSIDE off, and I am up .4 lbs from yesterday. There is no way I'll make my Sunday goal of 260 now. It is so frustrating to work so hard, to deny myself and to still see a gain on the scale. When my husband was losing weight, he saw a loss every single time he weighed himself. I know I am not him, and I know women's bodies are different than men's and I can't expect to lose the same way he did, but I feel so discouraged.

I know you're supposed to learn to enjoy the journey, but I don't even want to be on the journey. I just want to be normal weight.

Anyway, I just had to put this out there so it was no longer "in here", as it were. Today is another day, and I'm not giving up.
i know what you mean about your DH losing every time he weighs in.

my gentleman is a machine when it comes to losing weight (ironically, it's only because of me who guides him and has started him in fitness), and the fat just melts off of him.

myself on the other hand, loses weight like a snail. drives me nuts.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #39  
one choice at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Sheep View Post

Good, don't give up. Please try to train yourself to take a longer term view. It would be really nice if there were lovely short term correlations between what we do and what we see on the scale - eat on plan and exercise today, see a loss tomorrow morning, yay! But it simply doesn't work that way. Your body's timescale for processing nutrients and burning fat is simply longer than that, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Nothing.

So just remind yourself that what matters is not whether you weigh less than yesterday or even whether you weigh less than a week ago. Stick to your plan for a month or two and you will weigh less - that is what matters. Yes, it isn't any fun. Yes, instant gratification would be easier. But whining about it and giving up doesn't get you to your goals. You owe it to yourself to cultivate patience.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #40  
one choice at a time

One more thing, Quantum Sheep - this is exactly why I strongly, strongly discourage setting goals like "260 by Sunday." You just don't have that kind of control over your weight on any particular day. Your total weight depends upon a host of factors - what undigested food is sitting inside you, how much fluid you are retaining due to hormones, weather, sodium intake, hydration, immune system function, healing after exercise, etc. most of these factors are not within your control! But they contribute to daily fluctuations in total body weight of several pounds - that can easily mask a few WEEKS worth of real fat loss.

So saying "my goal is 260 by Sunday" is like saying "my goal is for it not to rain on sunday.". You are setting your goal as something mostly outside of your control.

Instead, set goals such that the measure of whether you have met them is based upon something you did or did not do. Something you have complete control over. "I will be on plan every day this week" or "I will exercise three times this week" - these are goals within your control. If you set these behavior based goals and meet them, the weight will come off in its own time.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #41  

Thank you for the support Ciao and Carter.

Carter, I know you're right, mentally. I just really wanted to get to 260, because 261 is where my diet always seems to fall apart. I thought that if I could make my mind up and reach that goal by the end of the week I would know that I can do this. I know you've got the right idea, though, and I'm going to listen to you.

I'm at 261 and change now, so instead of trying to get to that 260 number, I think I'll make my goal to keep to my exercise and eating plans perfectly for 2 weeks regardless of what the scale says. This is going to be harder than I expected because my family just got some terrible news, and I'm having a really hard time coping, so if I can do it in the next two weeks, I know I can keep going all the way until the end.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to me. It's great knowing that there are other people out there pulling for me and supporting me.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #42  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

Carter that was wonderful thank you for posting that.

I have been sitting at 240 for 5 days. Eating on plan exercising 5-6 days a week. Finally I broke through to the 230's. I am 238 today. I am so excited. I was getting a bit discouraged too but knew it would come off. I am eating at a deficit and exercing which creates a deficit. I understand about wanting to see a loss the next day after keeping to plan. I need to think about weekly and monthly rather than daily. That is one reason I stopped weighting every day.

Have a great weekend ladies.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #43  
Gizmo

Quantum Sheep, you've gotten some really great advice, stay positive. Setting goals is important, but success is not only measured in pounds lost, but in solid lifestyle choices that will get you to where you want to be for your entire life.

Official weigh-in this morning has me at 250.2, despite TOM, so I'm happy. I'm also getting over my cold and feeling better, so surely by tomorrow I'll be able to exercise again and be fully back on plan.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #44  
Bella Signora ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
One more thing, Quantum Sheep - this is exactly why I strongly, strongly discourage setting goals like "260 by Sunday." You just don't have that kind of control over your weight on any particular day. Your total weight depends upon a host of factors - what undigested food is sitting inside you, how much fluid you are retaining due to hormones, weather, sodium intake, hydration, immune system function, healing after exercise, etc. most of these factors are not within your control! But they contribute to daily fluctuations in total body weight of several pounds - that can easily mask a few WEEKS worth of real fat loss.

So saying "my goal is 260 by Sunday" is like saying "my goal is for it not to rain on sunday.". You are setting your goal as something mostly outside of your control.

Instead, set goals such that the measure of whether you have met them is based upon something you did or did not do. Something you have complete control over. "I will be on plan every day this week" or "I will exercise three times this week" - these are goals within your control. If you set these behavior based goals and meet them, the weight will come off in its own time.
yup, yup, yup!

though, i do always find it fun to set goals for myself. i tell myself all the time, "xxx LBS by xx MONTH challenge!" i think it's fun to set a competition for yourself to work hard and stay dedicated.

HOWEVER, with that said, i never take it to heart if i didn't reach "xxx LBS by xx MONTH". i simply appreciate the weight that i have lost in that time and i set a new goal for myself!

but that's just me; that's just how i stay motivated. just the thought of reaching a certain goal by a certain time, but never getting butt-sore if i doesn't happen. that's being realistic.

Last edited by Ciao; 09-08-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #45  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Ditto to everything Carter said. But, like Ciao, I also set specific goals, i.e. I'd like to be at 133 by the end of the month. If I make it, great! If not, I'll keep trying. Keeping an eye on the longer view blunts the impact of the daily results (whether good or bad).

That being said, I'm back up over 135 today, after seeing 133.6 earlier in the week. It's disappointing but I know I'll get back down again, if I stick to the plan.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote