3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   A Small Tuesday Rant (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/264915-small-tuesday-rant.html)

SmallSteps 08-21-2012 11:53 AM

A Small Tuesday Rant

I was really good yesterday, I drank lots and lots of water, had three wonderful meals, and even turned down the cake at work for a co workers birthday. So can someone tell me then why I gained 2.2 pounds since yesterday? :eek:

Yes I know it is more than likely water retention or my body trying to cope with all the stress I am under but REALLY? Come on!!

Arctic Mama 08-21-2012 12:22 PM

Hormones, stress, time on your feet, salt, a full moon, bad luck, who knows? We can fluctuate up to four pounds of water weight on any given day with NO obvious cause, and it has no bearing on our fat loss. If you know you didn't cheat and the scale is being wonky, just ignore it. Simple!

SmallSteps 08-21-2012 12:40 PM

I know Artic but it is still frustrating me to know end this month!

kaplods 08-21-2012 12:54 PM

My first thought was "up 2.2 lbs, I wish," because right now, I"m up about 10 lbs.

My TOM always adds 8 to 10 lbs of water (and when I was heavier, often more).

I've been adding about 2 lbs a day for the past week.

Fluctuations are only frustrating when you expect or desire something else. For the most part, I have been able to become unflustered by fluctations.

TOM gains I usualy can take in stride, though my hormones also sometimes do affect my ability to cope with what I know is normal.

The ten pounds is irritating me, because this is the day that I persuaded hubby to join my TOPS weight loss group with me. I really don't want to have to say that I gained 9 lbs with hubby sitting next to me (I wouldn't have to say how much I gained, but everyone usually does, and I always do so it would seem a bit weird if I decided to clam up now). Hubby already knows I'm up 9 lbs, so I'm not sure why this is bothering me.

I know from experience that I will lose all 9 lbs over the next week (likely I'll see it whoosh down 5 to 6 one day and then will trickle off over the next few days.... or the reverse it will trickle off for a few days and then drop off the rest.

When I think "it sucks," I tend to feel like bingeing (and often end up doing so) and ending up making some of the fake gain, real , but when I think "it's normal, don't sweat it," then I stay on track and the weight does fall off.

Arctic Mama 08-21-2012 01:26 PM

You hit an excellent point that bears repeating - your frame of mind in dealing with the scale can be crucial to what action you do or don't take. Viewing the fluctuation as normal and not something to stress over or fix, if everything else is on track, can prevent panic, binges, and general malaise over your weight. If you freak out or let the (random number generator that is the) scale control how you feel about yourself or your diet, the chances of reacting emotionally with food or exercise greatly increase and that is hardly ever a good thing. Keep your brain in control, not your emotions. And hide the scale for a week, if need be. Anything to keep your head down and plod along what you KNOW is right for you, with NO dispiriting feedback from inanimate objects like the scale to drag you down.

Porthardygurl 08-21-2012 02:16 PM

To the OP...i know how you feel. Ive been great on my diet and im up 2.0 on my scale this morning too...im in the same boat... its like "why why oh why!!"(shakes fist at the sky)....

We just got to keep reminding ourselves that sometimes are scale isnt as forgiving in terms of water weight or whatever it may be thats throwing a little kink our way...keep your chin up...and stick to it... i know it will change..it cant stay the same forever!

Goddess Jessica 08-21-2012 02:32 PM

Right there with you. Ran yesterday, OP, and up 4 pounds.