3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   STRESS relief (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/26461-stress-relief.html)

JML 04-08-2003 10:18 AM

STRESS relief

I notice a number of us on the board have been going through some tough times, which equals high stress, which equals more temptation to go off plan. How do you all cope? I know I can't put off weight loss till I have no stress in my life, since that simply isn't going to happen. There will always be stresses, just some will be large and some will be small, and most will be in between. Stressful events can also trigger a person who has lost weight to regain it by going back to old, unhealthy habits. So, what can we do?

My number one rule for stress is that in times of stress, I must take care of myself MORE than at other times. I must TRY to sleep at normal hours, eat healthy foods, be gentle with myself if I start to forget things, take time to exercise, pray, get sunshine, find time somehow to be alone and find my peace, watch my plants grow, take time to call a friend and go "Aughghghggh" -- We're all in this together. Basically, I must take good care of myself.

My number two rule is the serenity prayer -- "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Some things I have no control over. Generally, these things have to do with other people. I have no control over others' feelings, reactions, actions. These things I must let go of. I do have control over my actions. Shall I react to a problem by eating? Will that help? No. What will help? Well, if there's something I can own that would resolve a relationship crisis, I can move to do that. If not, I can remove myself from the situation as much as possible so as not to be overwhelmed and drowned in it.

My number three rule is that stressful times are no time to be alone. It's good to post, or talk to someone if you can. I've found that in talking about things I have to deal with with others, that I'm not alone, that others have these same problems, and so it doesn't seem so horrible afterall.

How about you guys? How do you handle stress?

Goddess Jessica 04-08-2003 11:18 AM

Besides eating? ;)

Ocean visits. Nothing makes your problems seem small like a great big ocean.

Sex. 'nuff said.

Eliptical Machine. A nice awesome sweat.

The dogs. As long as they're not the reason I'm stressing (like Keiko eating the couch or Emo peeing on the kitchen floor).

RavenToy 04-08-2003 12:14 PM

For me it depends on the source of the stress. Some of my de-stressors aren't as healthy as others. Sometimes I clean. I'll just go nuts on the kitchen or one of the bathrooms and scrub from top to bottom. Exercise. Usually aerobic is better for the stress relief. Warm soaks in the tub, or a long hot shower. Listening to music in a dark room. Standing outside and feeling the weather, whatever it is. Spending money. :o That's not such a good one. Playing with my kids, or my dogs. Meditation.

Sometimes I just have to do everything in the list and see what's going to crack the stress. But I just keep trying.

SuchAPrettyFace 04-08-2003 01:16 PM

Retail therapy. Sometimes all I need is a new nail polish to change my whole outlook. I'm a simple creature that way. ;)

boiaby 04-08-2003 01:45 PM

I love to be able to sit quietly and read a magazine from cover to cover like People or Women's World, etc. It's wonderfully calming and it enables me to tune everything else out.:cloud9:

Beverly

muelledk 04-08-2003 03:40 PM

Hey, RavenToy, next time your are stressed out, you are more than welcome to come and visit my house (it could use a good cleaning) :)

I haven't figured it out yet. I still really struggle with the stress/food issue. I have found that when i'm hungry, if I chew gum instead, it kills those hunger pangs.

meembo 04-08-2003 08:57 PM

A nice long hot bubble bath followed by a moisturizing treatment. All done with the door locked and the radio playing so I can't hear my dh or grandkids :)

Jennelle 04-09-2003 12:21 AM

I lock myself in the bathroom with a good book, or I get in my car and drive down the freeway really fast.

bella23 04-09-2003 10:39 AM

This is what I have been trying to figgure out. I usually eat, listen to music, or get on the puter. But sometimes (when I have money) I get a massage.

Bella23

mthrgoos68 04-09-2003 12:31 PM

OH, a massage sounds wonderful! That definitely sounds like it would do the trick. It's usually a bubble bath and good book for me, but if I don't have time for a bubble bath (or if the kids have drained the hot water heater), then I just lock the bathroom door and take a good book in there. Sometimes I'll even turn the shower on so that I can't hear all the commotion going on in the rest of the house!

ShrinkingPat 04-09-2003 01:38 PM

I guess I'm pretty lucky regarding stress, it takes something pretty monumental to stress me. I guess it's my work (journalism) and the constant deadlines, so I'm pretty good at dealing with stress. If I get stressed it's because something monumental has happened or I haven't got enough sleep.

Stress is your body's way of telling you to slow down and take a nap or long bubble bath. It's no wonder why Calgon's ad campaign "Take Me Away Calgon" has been so effective.

225/222/199/115
SW/CW/MG/Goal