3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   One year commitment (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/264533-one-year-commitment.html)

LaurieDawn 08-13-2012 05:02 PM

One year commitment

August, 6, 2012 - August 2, 2013.

I have seen several people refer to one-year commitments they made to stay focused on weight loss. Since I just started a new, temporary job, I decided it would be the perfect time to make a similar commitment. So, these are the dates. I don't commit to doing this perfectly. Just to never giving up, regardless of how difficult life gets or how temperamental the scale gets.

I love the idea of committing to something I can control. Scale numbers are sometimes so fickle. Dates are not.

Anyone care to join me?

Goddess Jessica 08-13-2012 05:31 PM

Congrats on your commitment!

So how will your focus change this year?

LaurieDawn 08-13-2012 05:57 PM

Ah! Leave it to you to ask the tough questions! My pattern for the past three years has been to commit hard-core on breaks from law school. So I saw 20-30 pound losses over summer and winter breaks (depending on the length of the break), then regains when I went back to school. This summer, I have again lost about 30 pounds. But instead of returning to school, I am finally out in the 'real world.'

I spent the last week developing a plan that will fit with my work schedule. But there will still be challenges. The commitment will help me to plan for the blips. Maybe occasionally, exercise won't be feasible. But instead of quitting, I will honor my commitment by planning a mitigation strategy, then resuming full force when things normalize.

I definitely could have done better over the past three years. But the craziness of law school, combined with a divorce, made it very challenging. So I am moving past regret and on to a new strategy. Gentleness and commitment, baby!

Slimjem 08-13-2012 06:31 PM

I love your quote! I find it easier to say a year than specific scaled numbers. You've got me motivated and I will try to not give up anymore. One day at a time!

LaurieDawn 08-14-2012 09:45 AM

Thank you, Slimjem. I love that we're at the same weight as we start this together. And you're right. Even though the commitment is for a year, I can only be successful if I take it one day at a time. Today, I am sleep deprived. But I don't anticipate a year of seamless days, so that will be today's small challenge.

MizMelis 08-16-2012 11:18 PM

I love this !, I'll definitely join you, though my "year" started 4 months ago when i started my journey and i vowed the day i started eating healthier and getting in exercise when i could, that within one year, i would be at, or be close to my goal weight. I'm slightly different since i have to have a number to strive for to keep motivation up, but i also didn't want to set unrealistic goals that actually might hinder my loss instead of helping it.

beescwee 08-17-2012 07:37 AM

I'd love to join you, especially because the 6th August is my birthday! It's the perfect day to end a year of hard work on. I started dieting again last week on the 8th. I too have lost in the past and regained. I need to learn to accept that if I have a bad day/week, I can't just give up like I've done before! I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous! Eek! You're all absolutely right though, not giving up should be the most important goal of all :)

synger 08-17-2012 08:35 AM

I'm in. I remember someone on here who did this, and it worked very well for her. Part of it is long-term, because a year is enough time to make a solid difference. But part of it is short-term, because it helps you get over the "I don't know if I can do this for life" mentality. I can do ANYTHING for a year... and during that year you slowly but surely build the habits that will allow you to continue after that year.

My problem has been too many cheat days, and too much alcohol. When I drink, my plan for eating sensibly goes out the window. And, when I drink my calories instead of eat them, I'm much hungrier the next day and more likely to overeat.

So, on-plan (JUDDD with a lower-carb framework) and limited alcohol (two drinks on Fridays). I can do that for a year!

RJR 08-17-2012 09:32 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes! :)

Mine started July 10th. This was the day after I kicked out my cheating husband. I'm so much happier now! I've lost 16 pounds so far.

For me my year commitment is lose weight, learn to exercise, and no dating for the whole year. Also, find a way to get a divorce but that's extra if I can swing it :)

TiffNeedsChange 08-17-2012 09:46 AM

My year long commitment started in July (I started Atkins). I have promised myself that I will be at or near a normal weight by my 30th birthday next June. Another part of my commitment is to get moving everyday, even if I am not up to working out I will clean, cook, or whatever!! Nice to have some others to do this with!! We can do this!

kaplods 08-17-2012 12:48 PM

September 9 will mark my second anniversary in my local TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) group.

The annual national membership dues are $28 and the local chapter dues are $5 per month (which are usually waived if a member lost weight the previous month, so if you lose every month, you get free dues... though if the treasury gets low, we substitute some other incentive for a month or two).

There are so many ways to "win" prize money that my goal every year is to come out ahead (spend less on my dues and chapter expenses than I earned in prize money).

The first year I broke even. This year, I've come out ahead (though I stopped keeping track once I broke even). This third year, I plan on keeping a better record to see how much I can "get paid to lose weight."

I've always treated the renewal of my membership every September as sort of a rededication ceremony of sorts. It's going to be extra special this year, because hubby is joining with me again (spouses and family members in the same household pay half price for national dues).

I've always succeeded with support groups, but in the past I'd always convince myself that I could and should "do it on my own," and I don't do very well on my own.

The membership dues AND my little accounting game in which I'm trying to "win by losing," has really kept me motivated and participating. In the past, when I wasn't losing I would think "I'm wasting my money," and then I'd quit. Which is why TOPS has been so much more motivating to me than Weight Watchers, because if I really work hard, I can actually "get paid to lose weight." Even breaking even feels like an amazing acheivement (I've "earned" free help).

I also reward every five pounds with a donut charm (for Pandora style bracelets, but super cheapy version from Michael's and JoAnn Fabric), and when I go to my TOPS meeting or when I go out to dinner at a restaurant or at someone's home, I wear the charm bracelet (now two bracelets - 20 charms on one, representing 100 lbs and 1 charm on the other, representing 5 lbs). It's just heavy enough to remind me to stay vigilant about what I'm eating (because if I gain weight I remove the corresponding bead and don't wear it again until I've earned the bead back). I don't think of it as a punishment, just as "I can wear it, when I've re-earned it).

The tangible reminder really helps me stay focused. I've thought about wearing the bracelet every day, but I'm not sure I'd stay as conscious of it, as I do when I wear it occasionally (I probably should wear it during TOM week at least).

LaurieDawn 08-26-2012 11:18 AM

SO excited that you decided to join me, MizMelis, Bee, Synger, RJR, and Tiff! And, Kaplods, I always appreciate your well-informed, interesting, and supportive posts.

The past few weeks have been rough, sort of. I am facing a trio of challenges that would normally cause me significant difficulties.

1. I have gone off-plan, and had no real negative consequences, other than slower loss. This is probably the thing that caused me to re-gain about 100 pounds a few years ago. I decided I was happier with slower losses and a looser eating plan, and it quickly devolved from there. I am trying to go against my nature by not being totally OCD about this, because I can't keep a Biggest Loser type schedule and still maintain my 'normal' responsibilities. So I avoid logging food and counting every calorie, cuz that triggers the OCD in me, and I end up neglecting my work or my kids, etc. But I think I am getting sufficiently lackadaisical that I need to start tracking again for a week or two. **sigh**

2. Things are heating up at work, which triggers my 'put in endless hours at work' OCD response. Which means no exercise, which translates into losing touch with my body and poor eating. I need to schedule it DURING the workday for the next few weeks. I can still get in early and stay late, but will get a break that will help me be productive. And I need to do small things like stand to review documents, go to the bathroom on the floor below, taking the stairs both ways, etc.

3. I injured my shoulder lifting weights. Stupid and annoying, but not debilitating. I have continued to do cardio, but I will quit crying about it, and hoping it heals on its own. I will go to the doctor in the next two weeks if it's not better. This will be the hardest of the three, but I need to take care of my health.

It's a commitment, baby, and I will honor it.

42goingon20 08-26-2012 10:25 PM

I am committing to a year. Just started last week, but you will see a post from me a few times a week until August 2013, and thats a promise! But really I need to commit to a lifestyle change...... so maybe I will commit to 50 years!LOL

LaurieDawn 08-26-2012 11:53 PM

Love the name, 42goingon20! Looking forward to your posts. I, too, hope to renew my commitment year after year. But this upcoming year is going to be awesome!

HealthyMeWannabe 08-27-2012 05:05 AM

I'd love to join this group! I'm a person who tends to begin a weight loss journey by giving 110% for a month or so and then giving up when the scale plateaus, which causes me to gain back what I've lost. So I'd love to hold myself accountable for a solid year of sticking with it.

August 27, 2012-August 26, 2013 will be the year I finally get myself under control and make the changes in my life needed to drop the excess pounds and sustain a healthy weight when I reach it. :cheer:

My plan:

1. Do some sort of exercise daily! Whether it's the office gym on my lunch breaks or the Wii Fit in the evenings, I've got to get my tail moving.

2. Track my food and exercise on My Fitness Pal consistently. I use the app but am not consistent about it. I can usually for for 5-7 days before "forgetting" to log one day or two. I need to stick with it.

3. Cook more and eat out less. It's cheaper, healthier, and tastier!