Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 01:14 AM   #16  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I'm 2 hours north of Chicago. 2004 would work better for me if it's going to be further away than that. (I'm going to Superior/Duluth for vacation in June & to Mexico for my cousin's quincenera Thanksgiving weekend.)
Old 04-08-2003, 09:50 AM   #17  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have a friend in the Hotel Industry - let me see if I can get some hotel prices to give us an idea.

We could go downtown and see the blue man group one night - they are outstanding!!!!

Is end of summer/fall too soon? Should we shoot for Spring/early summer 2004?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #18  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Here's my input:

Chicago is cool and 2004 would be better for me.

Are you talking about a real convention or a get together?

My Cute Boyfriend's parents help organize conventions for the Sci-Fi people so some advice about convention is to shop around for a hotel. We shouldn't pay more than $100 a night in a very nice hotel. You will also have to organize a contract with the hotel that states things like there won't be cheaper rooms than the rooms we're getting at the hotel during our stay, if beverages would have to be provided by the hotel only etc.

If you do a "real" convention, you need some activities. Like speakers etc. May I suggest:
-A chef that does something like, "cooking within your points."
-A few different types of fitness instructors that could offer short classes throughout the day: Yoga, pilates, bellydance, balance ball. Like a tasting of exercise.
-A panel board discussion featuring Club members that have succeeded in their weightloss goals.

Those are my ideas!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:49 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

OOh, we could be guests at an Oprah Show taping!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #20  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Hey maybe by 2004 most of us have reached goal!
Old 04-08-2003, 02:30 PM   #21  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Oprah tickets are hard to get. I've heard horror stories of women waiting a year or two.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:28 PM   #22  

Chicago sounds good to me since it's central and an American Airlines hub.

I don't know about 2004 - I'll have a baby to consider! But, I'll do my best.

I agree with Jessica - it would be fun to actually learn something and have scheduled sessions. The chef thing would be a little hard though, since all of us are on different plans. The low carb people get the short end of the stick when we talk about menus and recipes - it's a whole different thing with fat and such.

Anyway, this sounds like fun. I can do it this summer - if it's next year I just don't know what will be going on with my family.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:36 PM   #23  

Chicago sounds fine, but I don't really care. I think that I could probably get where ever, but I think that we need to wait until 2004.

Another thought could be winter in Phoenix at a resort (very nice).
Old 04-08-2003, 03:44 PM   #24  
Long Time Member

A convention would be fun - but more costly (imo). Take an average person - figure in airfare and hotel for say 2 nights and your getting up there - not to mention food - and any activities - shows - shopping - whatever and it's getting up there. Add the cost of a speaker or a class and we might be making it too expensive. It also really depends on the number of people that would go.

I do know that if you have a block of rooms you can get better rates - but it depends - do we want the holiday Inn near the airport or the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers downtown on Michigan.

I guess maybe we need to do some polls.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:43 PM   #25  
Old Cackler

Default chicago is fine with me...

and i vote for a downtown location for the hotel. although it's easier to get from the airport at the airport hotel, ther'es just sooo much more to do in a downtown location, even if someone just wants to take a stroll.

and most hotels offer low or free transportation to/from the airports. the shuttle buses...

i can go whenever. as soon as i arrange for some eldercare....
Old 04-08-2003, 09:35 PM   #26  

Ya know, if you decide to go the convention route, you should contact exercise equipment manufacturers and diet companies (like weight watchers and atkins) they may be willing to send representatives (free of charge) to demonstrate or talk about products. (even Oprah has been known to show up at things like this when she's been invited!) Hey, we may even get some free samples or be on tv!!
Old 04-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #27  
Long Time Member

If we did end up in Chicago - I would consider contacting Oprah to let her know!!

slimming si - look what you've started!!
Old 04-13-2003, 08:16 AM   #28  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default convention

well um. right was only a spur of the moment suggestion bit taken aback by the response. i only get online on sundays when i open the gym. so two pages of responses is well shocking. i don't mind travelling to the US. chigago sounds good anywhere don't bother me much as i still have to cross the atlantic. end of 2004 is good for me. speakers would cost but if we selected a few people from the list here to talk would slash costs. i mean i lost 100lb so far in 13months we are talking almost 18months time i'd be a matchstick lol. i'd gladdly tell my story and give some tips. sure others would love to have a go. as for being on oprah well if we can why not could get a discount at the hotel for advertising or summat. informing manufacturers of weightloss diets and foods would be good to them its big business and if they could sponser then we're laughing after all we keep them in business.

bottom line anywhere is good for me would prefer Miami as i'm a life long dolphins fan but anywhere is good
Old 04-13-2003, 09:45 PM   #29  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Dolphins fan from the UK?

I'm originally from Cleveland, you gotta love those BROWNS!

Anyway, wherever we end would be good for me. It looks it is might be coming down between Chicago and Boston, either place looks good!
Old 04-17-2003, 09:43 AM   #30  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hope you don' t mind me barging in-just was doing a search for MIAMI and your thread popped up because SLIMMINGS mentioned it.

I moderate the SUGAR BUSTERS BOARDS here on the 3FC'S site and we've had some wonderful get togethers with gals on the board over the past 3 years. I've now met 23 past/present members from our board. Last one was in Orlando, FL where I ran my first 1/2 marathon, heck, my first race of any kind in my life. We had a wonderful weekend together. I had one board member that flew in from Austin, TX, one from Dallas, TX and one from Slidell, LA that I had never met before and stayed with me at my home before we all headed up to meet others in Orlando. We had a fantastic weekend filled with good SB LEGAL eats (one gal that lives up that way hosted a luncheon where we all brought food) with lots of fun and tons of talking.

If you can do it, it's the greatest, but it does take a lot of work, esp. the more people you have. BUT, if anyone decides to do it, and make it Miami, LMK, as this just so happens to be where I am!!!

Oh, and SLIMMINGS, I've actually met someone who bought something from me years ago who lives in the UK. We've spent time together each time they come to visit in Miami!!!

Continued success to all!!!

Debbie
Closed Thread