Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #16  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I agree it was a harsh thing to say, and clearly he doesn't know this is a priority for you and that you have lost weight already.

I do feel certain, however, that he probably felt he was doing the right thing. Odds are he felt his doctor saved his life by saying something harsh, and so he was -um- paying it forward? I know I've had some tough stuff said to me by my doctor. I asked my doc once if he thought I was obese, and he didn't even hesitate and said, "Oh, yeah. Definitely." I told him once that I was having trouble because if I didn't eat regularly I would get ravenously hungry and his response was, "So? Is it going to kill you?" And then the most momentous of all- which I hear all the time here but had never heard before my doctor said it was "You lose weight with diet, you get fit with exercise." At the time, I actually didn't believe my doctor about exercise not being an effective weight loss tool but it turned out he was right. About all that stuff. Harsh as it sounded. That said, I don't see myself offering that as unsolicited advice to a stranger at the doctor's office. ;-)
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote