3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Am I the only one? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/261382-am-i-only-one.html)

CurvyNerd 06-20-2012 08:20 AM

Am I the only one?

I do not post pictures of myself online. I wonder if I am the only one who is like this. I am not sure if it is that I do not like to have my picture taken or that I like the anonymity of it. Is there anyone else out there that doesn't post pictures?

bargoo 06-20-2012 08:29 AM

I don't.

DrivenByAmbition 06-20-2012 08:33 AM

I think it's really just a personal preference. I have pictures of me online, but like on here, my face is blocked out.

berryblondeboys 06-20-2012 08:43 AM

ETA: Now I realize you weren't talking about photos of you, but posting online.... For me, I'm a pretty open person, so I do have them online. That and I've moved around a LOT and have friends all over the place - FB has allowed me to reconnect. Not showing photos would still 'hide' and I love seeing photos of other friends and their families.
About photos in general: I didn't used to take photos. I am the missing person in family photos for years. When I lost 50 pounds about 12 years ago, I didn't have any before or during photos and it became an issue. I couldn't 'see' I was smaller. While yes, my clothes went from an 18 to a 14, I still looked the same to me in the mirror as I had all the same body imperfections, etc.

This time, I took measurements, I took photos and I compare. The photos especially make me see the progress even when I might not be 'feeling' I'm losing or toning up. It's amazing how I can't see it in the mirror, but I can see it in a photo.

But it's not for everyone. If you don't want photos and it makes you feel worse, then don't take them.

irishcanary 06-20-2012 08:51 AM

I am in two minds about this, on one hand i really hate how i look. I may be 5ft 7 and 154lbs or so yet i really hate how i look. A lot of pictures of me where posted and i hate how chubby i look in them.

On the other hand i like people to see that i was at events, that i do things and that i have a very full life.

So i think do post pictures for people to see you are happy and dont worry, its better to be in pictures no matter what you look like than not in them at all.

Vex 06-20-2012 09:04 AM

re:

It doesn't matter to me if my picture is online. It's ok if you don't feel that way though, I know a lot of people who do. I did hear somewhere that people were stealing the pictures up in the goal section to try to sell stuff. I don't know if that's true. While that would flatter me if someone did it, you better believe I'd want the money and not them! :)

My facebook profile has a picture of my cat on it though instead of me. I should probably change that. I don't have a picture here because the pounds lost avatar is a motivation tool for me.

Desiderata 06-20-2012 10:30 AM

A lot of people don't realize that putting a picture out there is putting it out there forever, in potentially a much more public way than they originally envision. Anytime a picture is posted, it's good to ask yourself if you're okay with your boss, your family, or your neighbor across the street seeing it. And think about whether the you-ten-years-in-the-future will also still be OK with that level of sharing.

Some people honestly don't care and are OK with it, which is great... because I love looking at success pictures! :) But I'm much too private.

I do wonder what will happen in 10-20 years when those of us that have grown up on Facebook start running for office. Seriously - once pictures go online, they're out there forever...

Tai 06-20-2012 12:10 PM

I don't post pictures of myself either; I'm very private.

HealthyMeWannabe 06-20-2012 01:30 PM

I have no problem with posting pictures of myself online. I am what I am, love it or leave it. I have a page on my blog dedicated to pics of my weight loss journey. I am looking forward to being able to put pictures side by side and seeing the changes! :) I know a lot of people are not comfortable with posting their pics online, and that's their preference. My mom's one of them. Just do what works for you. :)

Underwater 06-20-2012 03:14 PM

I really like having my before pic as my avatar. I see it almost every day and it reminds me how far I've come. I'm not sure when I'll update it. I'm 2.2 lbs away from 50 lbs down today. I was thinking of updating it at 50 lbs
lost or 199 lbs. Hmm...

There are a lot of pictures of me online. My school was one of the first with Facebook so I joined in 2004. That's already 8 years of pictures. Before that, it was Livejournal. Before that, well... I joined LiveJournal in 2001 and digital cameras weren't big before that. I know I got my first digital camera in 2002.

Lupus 06-20-2012 05:46 PM

I don't post pictures of me online either.

But that's mostly out of security and liking my privacy than anything.

Justwant2Bhealthy 06-20-2012 07:34 PM

This is the only place I have any pictures of myself online. For a long time, I didn't have one becuz I was a bit shy; then I finally put a picture of my face in my profile. I think it's nice for people to be able to see who they are talking to; I know I like to see them too.

Recently, I put some comparison photos in a thread to encourage others, becuz they also encouraged me a lot. I was a bit hesitant at first becuz I am a fairly private person, but they are not as revealing as some I have seen on here (in their skivvies).

To me, it is rather pathetic and very dishonest that someone would steal someone else's goal pictures from this site to use them for profit without getting their permission and pay them their due royalties.

My pics are mostly shoulder/head shots and are not anything that I would be ashamed of now or in the future. I am not planning on becoming the Prime Minister of Canada any time soon, but they wouldn't affect that even if I did. ;)

It's really a matter of personal choice -- some people post pictures of themselves, and some don't. :D

Thedollylala 06-20-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underwater (Post 4377989)
I really like having my before pic as my avatar. I see it almost every day and it reminds me how far I've come. I'm not sure when I'll update it. I'm 2.2 lbs away from 50 lbs down today. I was thinking of updating it at 50 lbs
lost or 199 lbs. Hmm...

There are a lot of pictures of me online. My school was one of the first with Facebook so I joined in 2004. That's already 8 years of pictures. Before that, it was Livejournal. Before that, well... I joined LiveJournal in 2001 and digital cameras weren't big before that. I know I got my first digital camera in 2002.

Ah the days of live journal and face jury, and hot or not...

linJber 06-20-2012 08:52 PM

I post photos on Face Book. Not on here. i like the anonymity here. I want the friends on FB to see the photos I post. That's one of the reasons i joined.

Lin

PixelatedTimeMachine 06-20-2012 08:58 PM

I post pictures of myself online in more "private" spaces (Facebook user since 2005), but as I've gotten older I've craved a lot more privacy and become more aware of the negative side effects that can come about from posting public pictures on forums, so I'm a lot more reluctant to do so now.