3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   tendinitis??-foot pain... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/26057-tendinitis-foot-pain.html)

suzie76 03-26-2003 10:10 PM

tendinitis??-foot pain...

Hi,

I think I might have injured my right foot. I'd been having some pain off and on, which I had attributed to breaking in new sneakers. But I think I might have hurt myself. My heel hurts-I can walk on it, but it doesn't feel right. From what I've read in my medical desk reference it seems like achilles tendinitis. If it doesn't feel better in the next day or two, guess I'm heading to the doctor. Has anyone else had this? How long does it take to recover? I hate to give up exercising-it's the only thing I've been consistent with-and this is the first time in my life I've stuck to it. Guess I overdid it...

Sherry

Sheila53 03-26-2003 10:33 PM

That's a bummer. My DH gets tendonitis in his elbow. He uses ice for the inflammation and ibuprofen. Plus you'll need to stay off it for a while unfortunately. . .

Goddess Jessica 03-27-2003 11:53 AM

Sorry this is sooo long!!!

Being a dancer (morris, belly, swing and ballroom), I am no stranger to foot pain. It can be a WHOLE bunch of different things.

Achilles tendinitis usually hurts on the back part of your foot (between the heel and the ankle) where your achilles tendon is, not on the heel. Irritation and inflammation of the tendon that attaches to the back of the heel bone. I usually get it when I jump up and down a lot.

If you press your thumb (hard) into your heel, does it hurt? Could be a bone spur or Plantar fasciitis (or heel pain). Plantar's is commonly traced to an inflammation on the bottom of the foot. I've had both.

Common Sense First Steps:
-First, take an anti-inflammatory (like Advil).
-You have good shoes, so no worries there but a lot of times foot trouble can be attributed to your shoes.

Physical Therapy (Stretching!!):
I cannot stress this enough. I went through YEARS of cortisone shots, ortho shoes and was STILL in pain. Thank goodness, I finally left my podiatrist and went to an orthopedic surgeon who said, "Surgery or Physical Therapy?" I chose physical therapy and now I can correct the problem EVERY time I get it.
Here are some stretches:
-I do a Runner's Stretch in the shower or against a wall somewhere in the house. Place hands against wall, place right leg behind you with heel firmly planted on the ground. Bend other knee and stretch counting to 30. You will feel calf stretch. Change feet and repeat. I do this in the morning, at least, and whenever I think of it throughout the day.

-Heel lifts. Hands against the wall, or holding onto a
counter, bend on leg up at the knee and raise yourself up on one foot with your toe. Do this SLOWLY.

-Heel Drops. Stand with heels hanging over the edge of a step and raise up on my toes and then I will slowly come down over the edge as far as you can drop. This is perfect after a walk since it stretches out those calf muscles that have tightened up.

-Ankle Alphabets. Draw the letters of the alphabet with your toe in the air. My first time I got to the letter G and had to stop. Don't be suprised if this is hard!

Desperate??

-The most hated thing in Goddess Jessica's freezer is a dixie cup filled with frozen water. Peel the dixie cup and massage the heel with the exposed ice. This hurts so much!!! But, at one point my heel hurt so much I couldn't walk 10 feet without limping and this would get me through the whole day without thinking about my feet. It is a natural inflammatory and works a million times better than Advil.

Don't go for the quick fix. Don't get the cortisone shots if you can improve it with Physical Therapy. Don't have surgery of you can skip it. And don't give up your exercise! You'll be back in motion again soon! I promise!
[B][SIZE=3][SIZE=1]

Sheila53 03-27-2003 12:17 PM

I had plantar fasciitis and getting orthotics was what helped me most. If it is that, don't ever go barefoot.

Sandi 03-27-2003 01:38 PM

I have pain in my foot that comes and goes, I always thought it was a heel spur, now I am thinking that it is achilles tendinitis. It has flared up in the past few days (even missed my workout today because of it!!), now I know what to do! Thanks Guys!

Sherry - hope you feel better soon!!! :)

suzie76 03-27-2003 03:57 PM

Thank you all! I'm at work, so when I get home I"ll try testing my foot-pressing my hand on the heel to see how it feels.

Jessica, if it is a heel spur, do you usually see your doctor for it? I have a feeling my regular doctor wouldn't have a clue. I may actually call my chiropractor and ask him to recommend an orthopedist? Should I Wait a few days, stop exercising (I dont' want to!). I"m scared of damanging something, but I hate to give up exercising (wow, never thought I"d say that!)

Thanks,
Sherry

Sandi 03-28-2003 08:55 AM

Some Advil & an anti-inflamatory & some advil this morning and I think I'll be able to work out today!!

WoooHooo!! Thanks Guys!! :D

Goddess Jessica 03-28-2003 03:34 PM

With my heel spur, I saw my primary doctor and he referred me to a podiatrist. After years, I complained to my doctor that the podiatrist wasn't working and I wanted to see an orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon recommended my physical therapist. (carry the 4, add 2 :))

You don't have to stop exericising unless you've stretched, taken the advil, and it still hurts like heck.

Achilles tendonitis can't be "worked through" until you've rested for a short period of time (and learned how not to do it again). But everything else, feel free to exercise away.

Stretching is really the key here. Taking the time to do it (even though it is soooo boring) is very important.