Not Motivated to Walk

• As you all know I was sick recently for a very long period of time almost 6 weeks. I am still fighting some of the symptoms of said illness now. I have found that since I began my recovery process that I am having trouble getting myself motivated to start walking again.

Before I got sick I had lots of motivation and had no trouble walking my 1-2 miles every day. Now forget it. I have not walked once since the marathon I walked in on May 5. 2012.

I have been using the excuse that "I worked all day and I am tired" to convince myself that this lack of encouragement is acceptable but now I am just annoyed with myself.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, how did you get yourself back on track.
  • Consistency has been a big problem for me, so there are times when I'm motivated and times I'm not. I have been in the "not" case for the past year or so. Once I admitted that I'm also competitive, I decided to use it to my advantage and bought a FitBit. I created goals for myself like steps, but also to earn the badges. I'm not trying to pitch them, but having goals like these really helped get back into exercising for me.

Good luck and I'm glad you are recovering.
  • Wow- 6 weeks of sick? Sucky. Glad you are getting better.
    When I am having trouble, I tell myself, I say "Self, you are gonna go to the gym, and you will stay in said gym for a minimum of 30 minutes, and if after that time you wish to leave, you may do so. And not a moment before." And if I can do this, and get there, I will exercise a lot longer than 30 minutes, and I get back into it. Because nothing makes me feel like exercise. It is a natural antidepressant with no side effects except a great kiester.
  • I agree with Brandis. Sometimes it's just the getting started that is hardest. Set yourself up to take shorter walks, especially if you still feel under the weather. Before long you'll probably find yourself wanting to go further again.
  • The simple question you have to ask yourself... Are you willing to give up what you have achieved so far? Do you want the weight to come back on?

That should be enough motivation for you.

Your not doing this just to reach a goal, your doing this for your life.

We all have our ups and downs, but it's how we react to our downs and what we are prepared to do when we are feeling down that makes the real difference. Think of it as your test of commitment and you have to be strong and determined to get back on track because you know it's going to work out the way you planned.
  • Your system has taken a knock with your illness. I agree with above, start with short walks and build them up. You have done so well up to know, is there anyway you could make the walk something to look forward to? I enjoy listening to the birds, hearing all the different sounds, smelling the scents in the air!!
  • I'm going through the same thing right now. Trying to make myself work out and trying to make time to actually do it. Also recuperating from a lengthy time out being sick, many times when I get back from work, I really do feel shattered. But a walk isn't going to kill me and I know I'll probably feel better doing it.

As far as suggestions go, I like Brandis' idea of making yourself go to the gym and promising yourself you only have to walk for the minimum amount of time. I think I'm going to add to this and try to start going to bed earlier so I can get my workouts in early first thing. That way, the day doesn't get on top of me and I have no chance to put it off. This will be really challenging because I'm not at all a morning person and mostly hit the snooze button till I absolutely have to crawl out of bed and get ready, but needs must. I must make this a priority starting this week.
  • Maybe you could try taking a short stroll around the block with your hubby or do a touristy walk up the Strip one evening. The main thing is to just get moving again!

You can do this Belinda!!!
  • re:
    What if you did a "fun" walk day - like go to the zoo or something where it doesn't really feel like a walk, but is?

• One think that has helped me is to log my eating and workouts in myfitnesspal.com. I have struggled with slow/non-existent weightloss for the last 10 months or so. You can see, I made my last goal in July 2011 and am only about 9 lbs below that now. I used to be able to lose with just walking and moderate eating, but it has been only recently that I've decided that I need to do a challenging workout most days and stay within my calorie goals most days in order to lose weight. I can't just do one or the other, I have to do both.

When I put everything into myfitnesspal I see, retrospectively, that the weeks where I do the most/eat the best are the ones where I lose weight. I want to see more weeks like that and so it motivates me.

The other thing about that program is that it sets a calorie goal and counts you down from there. If I am getting too close to zero, I go do something physical and then feel like I can eat a normal dinner or have a piece of fruit after dinner or a latte or something. Walking/gardening/biking earns me more food. That motivates me.
  • I walked yesteday 2.11 miles!! I may be getting my grove back!
  • You go girl!!!

For some reason, a song from that old animated Christmas classic, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, has started running through my head, "Just put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walkin' cross the floor..."

See I knew you'd get back on track!!
  • Thank you Peggy!!

How are you doing my friend?