Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Highest:266/T/Size 8

Height: 5'4

Question Ever tried Bikram Yoga?

I've been riding, but I want to add another exercise to my routine. Some better balance and flexibility would really help with my riding so I looked up yoga in my town.

Bikram yoga is what I've got locally, also known as "hot yoga." Anyone ever given this a shot at or near my weight (250lb-ish)? What was your experience?
SarahFairhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Yep. It's fine. It's not my favorite form of yoga but it's better than NO yoga.

Make sure to take it easy, bring a lot of water, and commit to doing it for at least a month before giving up on it. Yoga is one of those things that seem impossible when you start. And you feel like, "Why am I paying all this money if I can't even do downward dog!" But it doesn't get better without practice.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica View Post
Yep. It's fine. It's not my favorite form of yoga but it's better than NO yoga.

Make sure to take it easy, bring a lot of water, and commit to doing it for at least a month before giving up on it. Yoga is one of those things that seem impossible when you start. And you feel like, "Why am I paying all this money if I can't even do downward dog!" But it doesn't get better without practice.
Yeah, I don't relish the idea of 105 degrees, but thats what is offered nearby during the times I have available.

Commit for a month and bring loads of waters. K. Thanks, Jessica!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #4  
sugar is the devil

I LOVE LOVE LOVE BIKRAM! I'm going tonight actually My boyfriend climbs and I have him going with me every once in awhile. He likes it as it compliments his climbing by helping him learn how to focus and build up balance (something he needs for climbing). I'm actually doing Bikram to help me with flexibility and building strength as my goal in life is to be able to ride horses (working on shedding weight and being able to reach my leg into the stirrups... I'm short, I need good motion)! Perfect! I also got a few friends to come with me too.

You sweat BUCKETS! I'm not a sweaty person at all and to see the amount of sweat I produce... makes me feel like I'm doing "something" and actually seeing my loss come out. I've tried non-hot/regular yoga before and I really dislike it. Bikram, I can see myself improving and actually being able to do the poses. I enjoy it so to me it doesn't feel like exercise.

When I lost weight before (I got down to 140lbs from 180lbs... and sadly gained it back when I quit "trying" to lose weight when my exboyfriend and I started dating... blegh), I was doing Bikram 3 times a week and hiking up some mountains near where I lived for 2 days a week.

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 05-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #5  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

I prefer Baptiste Power Yoga myself. Some Bikram elements but I just like the flow and overall philosophy better. Try it! There are so many kinds of yoga... I love mixing it up actually but I do Baptiste more than anything.
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #6  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I tried it and loved it. I would go again but it`s so bloody expensive in my area. So I'll probably do it again if I find a deal online for it. You sweat like a mother in that room, it's awesome! lol
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Drink a ton of water before you even get in the room--it's good to drink water during class, but most instructors won't let you drink anytime you want. They'll ask you to do it in between poses.
My classes are 90 minutes long. I tell my friends that the first 30 minutes you're trying not to pass out, the next 30 minutes you're trying not to barf, and the last 30 minutes you're trying not to fart!
I love it how energized you feel afterwards and my skin looks great afterwards.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickybird View Post
Drink a ton of water before you even get in the room--it's good to drink water during class, but most instructors won't let you drink anytime you want. They'll ask you to do it in between poses.
My classes are 90 minutes long. I tell my friends that the first 30 minutes you're trying not to pass out, the next 30 minutes you're trying not to barf, and the last 30 minutes you're trying not to fart!
I love it how energized you feel afterwards and my skin looks great afterwards.
Hahahaha! Alright, now I'm a little nervous.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #9  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickybird View Post
and the last 30 minutes you're trying not to fart!
LOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! Oh man does this ring true to me. And how mortified I was that it would happen!! I kept staring at my twin brother and I guess he saw my face and knew what was wrong with me so we both started chuckling. hahahahahhahahahhahaha
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

Was a total hot yoga junkie when I was living in my hometown. It's incredible.

I'm not a huge bikram fan, but if you operate well with structure it's a great way to learn.

The person who said drink water during the day is absolutely right. My other pieces of advice? Hot yoga is a mental challenge. It's hot. I found that accepting it before I was even in the room made it easier. And don't be discouraged if there are things you struggle with. I took 7 classes a week for 6 months and there were poses I just couldn't master. It's about doing the best you can and living in the moment.

Have fun!
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

You don't get a medal for doing every single pose your first few times. The instructor would much rather you lay on your mat for a few minutes instead of pass out or hurt yourself.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote