Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:17 AM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Anybody see Dr. Phil today ~ re: overweight people

Did anyone watch Dr. Phil today ~ about overweight people? Just wondered what others thought.

glynne (Gayle)
Old 03-17-2003, 01:34 PM   #2  

He's not on here until three so thanks for the "headup". Will be sure to catch him.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:47 PM   #3  

I missed it, so someone please tell me the jist?

Thanks
Bella23
Old 03-18-2003, 01:01 PM   #4  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I found it almost like a Springer episode.

They had two obese women on the show who argued for fat acceptance, 1 women who lost 150 pounds and basically said "i lost the weight, so can you, get off your lazy *** and quite making excuses". And one 95 pound women who talked about how disgusting fat people are.

Oh, they also had a brother and sister on the show. The brother weighed over 400 pounds and the sister was embarrassed to be around him. Being as though she weighed over 300 pounds herself, it seemed a little funny to me.

Unlike Springer, there was no fist fights.

Since I work for the State and am employed in Suffolk county MA, I had yesterday off of work. In Boston, St. Patricks day is a holiday (but it is called "evacuation day" because this is the day that the Brittish finally left the colonies).

Good times.

Matt
Old 03-18-2003, 02:27 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally posted by matt_H
Since I work for the State and am employed in Suffolk county MA, I had yesterday off of work. In Boston, St. Patricks day is a holiday (but it is called "evacuation day" because this is the day that the Brittish finally left the colonies).

Good times.

Matt
But did you drink green beer?

I can only take Dr Phil in small doses.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:50 PM   #6  

I have seen that show, it's a re run. Thanks for the infor though

Bella23
Old 03-18-2003, 07:09 PM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

SAPF....Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one! I also can barely stand Dr. Phil.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:32 PM   #8  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

this was the first, and probably only time, I will ever watch the show. But I agree, it was a very sad display. I think people watch these shows for much the same reason why NASCAR is so popular....its like looking for a car crash.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:02 PM   #9  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Dr. Phii....

I saw the show and was thoroughly disgusted by it. The two VERY heavy women were asked if they would lose 150# if they knew they could. The one woman went on a huge lecture on how society should accept her as she is, and on and on and..... She simply would NOT answer the question. She was not just a big lady - she was horridly big with multiple health problems.

The person who had lost the weight showed great restraint in that she did not get up and strangle the two large women who I felt were rude and nasty.

I usually am not at home to see the show - I'm glad of that now!!!

Here we all are trying to get healthy in order to live longer, happier and healthier and those dingalings are up there telling us how wonderful it is to be so ill from all kinds of problems and weigh over 400# and loving it --- phooey.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:40 PM   #10  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

First of all I didn't see the show but I would still like to make a comment based on what has been said here.

I think that society does ostrasized overweight people which I find ironic considering the enormous percentage of people that are overweight. I think that we do need to be more accepting of overweight people and recognize that these people need help not derision.

Yes overweight people definately need to lose weight for a wide variety of reasons, overweight people should not be accepting that they can never lose any weight, they should continue to strive to become healthier. Having said that however there are some people who no matter what will not lose the weight, even if they had surgery, you can still gain back weight.

I don't think that people who have lost large amounts of weight can possibly look down their noses at people who cannot lose weight. They of all people should know what a struggle it is.

I've seen the odd Dr. Phil show and I know he gets some real doozies who are in serious denial especially about being fat. Hey if he didn't get some of these guests on his show we'd have nothing to talk about!
Old 03-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #11  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I don't usually watch or enjoy those talk kind of shows. I was channel surfing that day and nothing else was on and I was just curious.

I had mixed emotions about the people on there. I felt bad for the big ladies ~ that they should endure people's rudeness, but at the same time, felt like they sort of set themselves up for some of the reactions they got. I would not be comfortable being as assertive as they were. I am more comfortable with not being noticed.

I felt appaled by the little 95 pound lady ~ I can not imagine saying such mean things as she said.

glynne (Gayle)
Old 03-19-2003, 10:38 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I hope the 95# lady gets fat. Is that mean? No, that's karma.

And as for the "women who lost 150 pounds and basically said "i lost the weight, so can you, get off your lazy *** and quite making excuses". "--everyone who has lost weight thinks that. I wish I had a dollar for everyone who says/thinks, "I did it, why can't you?" Well, for a myriad of reasons, sweetpea. ABout as many reasons as there are fat people. Grrrrr.
Closed Thread