Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default speghetti squash ( sorry if this is in the wrong place)

i hear so much about it .... what sort of squash is this ?.... does it hold up well under marinara sauce? is it difficult to prepare ? can it be reheated for the next days lunch ? how does one prepare this ?

im a terrible speller , i know and im sorry
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

there are some youtube videos showing what to do with it -- i microwaved one last week **important to put some slashes in it so it doesn't explode in microwave*** -- so I put it in a bowl and nuked it for five mins at a time and turned it over a couple times ** using oven mitts that puppy was HOT **....then put it in a cold oven (still in the bowl) to cool off.....BUT then I got busy working and......oopsie forgot to finish dealing with it and hubby found it in the oven all cold and really smelly.....lol so he had to bag it up and take it out to the trash....

so tomorrow i'm going to try it again. you try one too -- oh by the way you can boil them and also roast them -- i'm going to nuke one again -- so let's both try it out....and i'll warm up some marinara stuff and then we can get back here and compare notes. there is a guy some "low carb guy" who uses one on youtube for recipes...and I think I saw jimmy akin -- AKIN not ATKINS -- who uses one to make a type of low carb hashbrowns....i'm going to try out that recipe as well....just because i love hash browns....

then you and I can come back here tomorrow night and compare notes.....so good look with your squash.....
Elizabeth779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/232/140

Height: 5'4"

I've made spaghetti squash before! I usually cut the squash in half (long way) and roast it in the oven, cut side down. You can add a little oil on the cute side, but you don't need to. Roast it for about 35-45 minutes at 375F. Then take it out and let it cool before using a fork to rake the insides of the spaghetti squash.

Once you've prepped the squash, you can put some sauce on it to eat it like spaghetti.

Elizabeth779 I hadn't thought to use is for low carb hashbrowns! Sounds yummy! I'll try that next time.
julz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I make meals with spaghetti squash quite a bit because I don't eat grains so it makes a decent filler for normal pasta dishes. The number one thing to keep in mind when using spaghetti squash is it is not pasta, it does not taste like pasta, it is a substitution.

To cook, I cut mine in half, scrap out the seeds and strings. I don't like having to deal with the seeds once the squash is cooked and soft. I place in a microwave save dish, add a bit of water and microwave for 10-15 minutes, depending on size. It's done when the shell gives a little when squeezed (use a towel or oven mitts because those suckers get HOT). Let cool until it's manageable (or be impatient like me and use oven mitts to handle). Use a fork to scrape the fleshy stuff from the shell. It comes out in strings. If it seems watery, I'll let it sit in a strainer or put in a pan on the stove to sauté for a few minutes. Top with what ever you want.

The squash doesn't have a huge flavor it's self but makes a great filler and tends to take on the flavor of the topping. My dishes I use squash with include marinara sauce with ground turkey, chicken cacciatore, garlic shrimp, and an Asian style stir-fry.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz05 View Post
I've made spaghetti squash before! I usually cut the squash in half (long way) and roast it in the oven, cut side down. You can add a little oil on the cute side, but you don't need to. Roast it for about 35-45 minutes at 375F. Then take it out and let it cool before using a fork to rake the insides of the spaghetti squash.

Once you've prepped the squash, you can put some sauce on it to eat it like spaghetti.

Elizabeth779 I hadn't thought to use is for low carb hashbrowns! Sounds yummy! I'll try that next time.
Yup, this! It's also delicious with a little bit of olive oil, parm cheese, and some spices. I've made it in place of hashbrowns, too. My kids really like it that way with eggs! Pretty awesome stuff .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, you can just put your leftovers in the fridge (up to 5 days). Plus, since I am the only one who eats it, I cut mine in half or quarters -- put the pieces in a plastic bag and they keep well in the fridge for a week. I cook mine in the micro with water or in the oven if I am baking something else too.

I like it with marinara or any other tomato sauce; plus it is nice with a little black pepper and a tsp butter, lemon juice & soya sauce -- all to your taste (from 1 tsp to 1 tbl of each).

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #7  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I love spaghetti squash. I use it in tacos, caseroles, bakes, quesadillas, mixed with pasta... its an endless list, almost, lol.

I used to microwave mine, but then I baked it once, and I will NOT go back to the microwave. It's SO MUCH BETTER baked. I bake it cut in 1/2 and sprayed with Pam, with some garlic cloves in its little scooped out cavity.

LOVE SS!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

I love it too. Much better baked. Only problem for me is that I always make so much.

Last time I made it, I used this recipe for southwest spaghetti squash. YUM.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Am I just not baking long enough? Mine are always slightly...crunchy? And I have to think that's underdone. Is it supposed to be like that or will soften up?
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Bake it longer! That sounds under done .

ETA: I usually bake mine @400 for about a half an hour, then take it out of the oven and put it in a covered casserole while I prepare the rest of dinner. It kind of steams itself a bit more and softens up. My daughter calls it "potato spaghetti" Now I want one!

Last edited by ValRock; 04-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #11  
on a mission

S/C/G: 294/restart!!!

Height: 5'1

Mmmm I love squah and have beem thinking of trying spaghetti squash. So the squash is only a substitute for the noodles? Do everything else the same? Like sauce, ground turkey/beef?
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #12  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

MrsBright ~ YES, you can use it as a pasta substitute; or as a side dish, or mixed in other dishes just like Kateleestar mentioned ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #13  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Bake it longer! That sounds under done .

ETA: I usually bake mine @400 for about a half an hour, then take it out of the oven and put it in a covered casserole while I prepare the rest of dinner. It kind of steams itself a bit more and softens up. My daughter calls it "potato spaghetti" Now I want one!
Yep, I do this too... Except I bake mine at 425 for a 1/2 hour, and then flip it over to like, sear/steam itself and turn the oven off while I finish up dinner. Then I take it out and hold it with an oven mit covered with press n'seal or plastic wrap, and scrape it onto my plate still hot.

Once in a blue moon I used to have the crunchy texture, but then I started baking it hotter and a little longer and I don't have that issue anymore.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Absolutely turn it during cooking, it really helps steam up the center!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #15  
threenorns

i never cut mine - i just throw it in the oven @400 until it pokes through easily with a fork.

bring it out, let it sit until cool enough to handle, then i cut it in half and use a fork to tease out the spaghetti.