3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Question about percentages (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/255941-question-about-percentages.html)

Elizabeth779 03-30-2012 03:51 PM

Question about percentages

Hi, I'm Elizabeth and I'm new to 3FC. I've been reading stickies and your posts the last few days. There are some wonderful and amazing accomplishments in this group.

For the month of April I want to count calories (for most of the month of March I was on Atkins -- but didn't do it well). In the past on calorie counting I did a percentage goal of 40% carbs, 40% protein (rarely met this in the past, usually it was 25% at most) and 30% healthy fats.

Do any of you recommend a different nutrition percentage breakdown?

Candeka 03-30-2012 03:55 PM

That sounds pretty decent. My carbs are usually more (sometimes ranging from 45-60%) however I do eat well so I am not worried about it. I guess I am trying to say don't panic if you go over/under those percentages some days lol!

WildThings 03-30-2012 07:07 PM

Looking at the trend on myfitnesspal for my stats over the last month and a half, my weekly ratios are 25% carbs, 35% protein, 40% fat. That is not what myfitnesspal suggest for me, it's what I've actually eaten. I don't eat grains of any kind so it keeps my carbs fairly low. The ratios you posted seem like a good place to start. Start with that, then you can always make adjustments to fit your needs at the end of the month.

juliana77 03-30-2012 08:50 PM

I do 45% carbs, 25% protein, and 30% fat. It works for me - I have to put in some effort to get the protein, but it gives me enough flexibility that I don't feel the need to cheat, and I have plenty of room in the carbs to get in 35g of fiber, and enough protein that I don't feel hungry.

freelancemomma 03-30-2012 10:39 PM

It's a highly individual thing. I love my carbs and see no reason to give them up. I'm more of a 60/15/25 (% carbs/protein/fat) gal myself. High on carbs, but still within RDA. Just do what works for you.

F.

mags89 03-30-2012 10:42 PM

I really like Jillian Michael's Oxidizer Test (just plug that into google!) There's a bunch of questions about what types of foods keep you fuller during the day and from that you can figure out whether you're a fast, slow or balanced oxidizer. Each one has a different nutritional percentage breakdown that suits that group best! It's definitely work looking into!

threenorns 03-30-2012 11:08 PM

okay, that is just SCARY.

i did the oxidizer test and it came out that i'm a fast oxidizer - and then for diet advise, it basically copied and pasted what i've been eating for the past month, including to avoid grains!

wierd.

mags89 03-30-2012 11:48 PM

That's crazy! Is it working well for you?

Elizabeth779 03-31-2012 12:39 AM

Thank you for all of your replies. Wow -- these were the replies i was hoping for -- it gives me stuff to think about to tweak this -- for instance, i know i did well on atkins because i was eating higher fat, and i was satisfied.....and i also like the idea of higher carbs and trying to eat more fiber....so i think i'm going to try the 45 carb, 25 protein, and 30 fat to start....and then tweak it from there....

I took the test -- that was interesting. It says I'm a fast oxidizer, and it suggested I stay away from grains, which I know from experience make me tired.

In fact, I'm a day sleeper, and I work a night shift. When I can't sleep, or sleep well, I know that if I get up and make oats in the microwave and (get ready to cringe) put in an amount of sugar, I then go back to bed and fall fast asleep into a deep deep and restful sleep. So, I'm going to kick that bad habit to the curb real fast. I know I will have to eat only healthy carbs. No white sugar, etc. I'm going to limit bread to just having occasional sandwich on whole wheat (the thin skinny bread)....

Well, again thank you for your replies. I just came off Atkins and am going to count calories, and lose more weight. Best wishes for your continued success.

P.S. It will be nice when I've been here 20 days and get my ticker..... :-)