Seriously how is this possible?

• Everytime i lose weight i get shorter ..... and ive noticed as i gain weight i get taller ....

this is not in my mind ... ive thought it before at my heaviest weight of (264) ive checked my height and im an even 5'6

ive checked at my lowest adult weight (190) and im an even 5'5

i thought when people lost weight they got taller?
  • This is a new one on me.....runs off to check height....
  • Not sure about this one. Only thing I can think of is weight in the feet would make you taller perhaps or, if your weight flattens your feet, it could make you shorter? Perhaps it does the same thing to the spine, weight compresses the spine making you shorter? Yikes!
    I would say make sure you have the same person measuring you on the same exact device. Even with that, I have gotten 2 different heights the last two times (in two months) I have gone to the doctor on the same scale. Not much difference though, first time 5'6.5, second time 5'7". I don't really think I changed, I think it is just human error.
    Now that I am talking though, I thought I was 5'8" in high school volleyball and I figured they must have just fibbed my height a little like they do with football players and such, but I was much thinner then, around 130/135, so maybe I lost an inch due to being overweight? Not good!
    I know people definitely LOOK taller when they are thinner, maybe that is part of it too.
    Sorry I couldn't help a little more.
  • Time of day can affect height too - you are taller in the morning. Now... was your lowest weight at what age? You could have grown too. I grew 3/4s of an inch after turning 18 (I was actively grown through 16 as I was a late grower). My brother grew 2" in his late 20s - go figure.
  • I shrunk too. But, I already have osteoarthritis and degenerative back. I'm only 41, but I had to have a hysterectomy at 20 years old...that has something to do with my loss of height.
  • maybe you lean closer to the wall when being measured? It's certainly not that you're losing fat from your feet. The fat on the bottom of our foot is of the same kind as the fat around our kidneys. It's a special kind of fat tissue that your body only uses it when you're dying of hunger.
  • I don't know if it is true about what the poster said above me but I have lost in my feet. When I weighed the most my feet were FATTER and certainly wider than they are now. I can fit into smaller shoes that I could not wear before when I was bigger.

Now I Am not sure if it is fluid retention or fat that caused my fluffier feet.. I just know there is a huge difference now.
  • When I lost the first fifty pounds I got taller, as the weight literally pulled on my bones and made my form sag. I have never heard of the opposite being true, so I'd assume it was either a secondary medical issue, age, or inaccurate measuring.
  • re:
    Yes, I recently had body measurements done and measured at 5'5". I said to the girl, "um......are you sure?!" I've been 66 in. for my entire adult life.

I'm just wondering since my backside is getting smaller, the measuring stick thing can get closer to me, hence a better measurement.

Who knows.............
  • I lost an inch to aging when I started menopause. I had been heavy and 5'7" for years. Then I was an inch shorter about 10 years ago when menopause started. Now I'm 90 pounds lighter, 10 years older, and back to being 5'7" tall.

I've ever heard of it going the other way. I go by what the doctors office measures.
  • Quote: I don't know if it is true about what the poster said above me but I have lost in my feet. When I weighed the most my feet were FATTER and certainly wider than they are now. I can fit into smaller shoes that I could not wear before when I was bigger.
    you could check it in any anatomy or physiology book. It's called "corpus adiposum plantare". You can lose fat on the top of your feet or on the sides, but not on the bottom (unless you starve yourself) and only when losing fat from the bottom would you get smaller. I'm in medical school and we studied the different kinds of adipose tissue.

Sorry, I know this is a strange first (and second) post, I just didn't find the time to introduce myself
  • hmm ... idk ..

but as far as the feet thing goes ... idk what part of feet gets skinnier but i second that when i loose weight my feet get smaller ... i fluctuate in weight lot ( trying to stop the yo yoing ) but i notice when i get to around 250's my feet go in a size 10 shoe .... in the 220's a 9 and by the time im around 180 im comftably an 8 .... granted i can wear an 8 now ( in the 250's ) but then i have to buy them at those yucky comfort shoe stores and buy an 8 WWW .... can you imagine the beautiful selection of shoes there **sarcasm**
  • I actually got taller when I lost the weight. I suspect my posture improved? Not sure.
  • This is actually really common, I've seen lots of people reporting this, but I am yet to see a valid reason. Its not due to weight loss in the feet (as stated you lose it on the top unless you're really at a low unhealthy weight). Its not posture related because people have reported pants getting longer, in-seam lengths changing etc. As we age the discs between our vertebrae compress (they are essentially a gel so squish over time), but as far as I know there is no way fat can get between the vertebrae so no explanation there.

The only thing I could think of could be to do with muscle tone. If you're building muscles could this "pull you down"? Sort of the opposite of the people that get taller because their posture improves, there is less weight pulling them down. I used some google-fu and it seems it is reported that some body builders shrink as they bulk up so its pretty tenuous but maybe there is a link?

Whatever the reason, you're not alone! Makes me want to go measure myself now -LOL-