Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #1  
Kami

S/C/G: 318/287/160

Height: 5'3

Default Really...

Tomorrow is the start of my 3rd week.
1st week I lost 8 pounds
2nd week I lost 0 pounds

Dont get my wrong I expected plateaus, but not in my 2nd week.
Is this normal?
I had my physical on Friday, and along with all they other tests they are running on me, they are checking my thyroid as well. I am hoping everything is normal, but really I cant think of why I would plateau in just my 2nd week of dieting.
MamaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Um... you lost 8 lbs the first week? Pretty big whoosh there.

Weight loss is not a nice neat -1 or -2 lbs each week.

It seems to be more like "blobs" or "whooshes" for me.

Give it some time and keep going! You will figure out your "normal" pattern for this stuff.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-18-2012 at 10:29 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #3  
Kami

Yah I know
I was so excited after that first week, ready to take on the world excited
even if it had just been like 1 or 2 pounds the 2nd week I think I would be okay. I hate being a downer. I keep telling myself to not give up, but **** that is what I have always done, hard to break the habit.

really hoping this next week yields at least a pound.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Did they do a double panel on your thyroid testing or do you know?
KatieAlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

One week does not a plateau make I know it's discouraging, but hang in there!

After a while you will start to notice patterns in your losses. Pretty much every month I have 2 weeks where I don't lose any (or even gain) and 2 weeks where I lose 3-4 lbs. It all averages out to a downward trend and that's all that matters in the long run.

The reason? As long as you are truly on plan, it's mostly water retention. Eating higher sodium or carbs than usual, exercise, your period, ovulation, weather changes, illness, constipation, sleep disturbances, stress - can ALL cause your body to hold onto more water than usual, and it shows up on the scale.

The remedy is time and, as counterintuitive as it sounds - drink more water.

Keep going, you are doing great!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #6  
Kami

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAlyse View Post
Did they do a double panel on your thyroid testing or do you know?
No idea
Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #7  
Kami

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana77 View Post
One week does not a plateau make I know it's discouraging, but hang in there!

After a while you will start to notice patterns in your losses. Pretty much every month I have 2 weeks where I don't lose any (or even gain) and 2 weeks where I lose 3-4 lbs. It all averages out to a downward trend and that's all that matters in the long run.

The reason? As long as you are truly on plan, it's mostly water retention. Eating higher sodium or carbs than usual, exercise, your period, ovulation, weather changes, illness, constipation, sleep disturbances, stress - can ALL cause your body to hold onto more water than usual, and it shows up on the scale.

The remedy is time and, as counterintuitive as it sounds - drink more water.

Keep going, you are doing great!
I am hoping that this is how it will go.
I have an Mirena IUD so havent had a period in a few years.
I do have issues with sleep. Some nights I sleep good others I cant get to sleep till 2-3am.
Salt is a huge weakness of mine. I am working on that one.
As for the water, I am drinking 3/4 to 1 gallon a day.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 276/283/278/170

Height: 5'6

Hey, consider yourself lucky! I started this journey on 3/4, bought a scale on 3/9, weighed in at 276.9. And then watched my weight go up to 279! Then 281! then 283! So my high weight was actually on 3/13, 9 days after I started.

Yesterday I finally hit my first loss & weighed in at 276.1.

I still can't really figure out why I went up. I was consistently drinking 6 cups of water a day, had cut out all junk food and kept my calories 1400-1700. All of which I am still doing, so I don't really know why it started going down again either.

Last edited by charzhazha; 03-19-2012 at 12:47 AM.
charzhazha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #9  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

For me, I had 2 great weeks (-7.4, -2.5) then a gain of nearly 3 pounds!! But, for the most part the scale is going down and I keep reminding myself that now, five weeks in? I am much healthier than I was just five short weeks ago.

I know it's a huge let down, but you're making great choices to vastly improve your life.
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #10  

Height: 5'5

are you exercising? sore muscles are swollen muscles and that means water retention.

I suspect though you were a bit dehydrated the first weigh in and your body compensated a bit.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Yes, it totally sucks. I get it. I'm a daily weigher. I am doing it so that the week weighs don't bother me. I'm trying to find a pattern. Some weeks are good , some, not so good. I track calories and fat, protein and carbs. Exercise too. When I have a few months (12 weeks) I'll have something to look at. But a week or 2 is just a snap shot. Give it 2 more before you adjust. I know it's frustrating. And you feel like your wasting your time but...where would you be if you gave up? Heavier? Where as now, your learning a new lifestyle. It takes time. Walk before you run, etc.....

Big hug to you!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #12  
Kami

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
are you exercising? sore muscles are swollen muscles and that means water retention.

I suspect though you were a bit dehydrated the first weigh in and your body compensated a bit.
yes I am walking 1/2 to 1 mile a day

before I started dieting I hardly drank water at all
I drank tons of milk, LOL, I love milk, it is a huge weakness for me. It was 1% milk but still...
Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I feel your pain. But I truly think that some bodies take awhile to 'catch up.' I started in January and lost about 9 pounds in the first few weeks, but after that for literally weeks it was NOTHING. Only recently am I starting to lose again, slowly- the key for me was building good, sustainable habits in those few months- and recently, I've upped my exercise and dropped my calories slightly, concentrating more on tracking accurately- and it's starting to go down. Finally.

It'll happen- the key is sticking with it. And believe me, I understand how frustrating that is, but the payoff is worth it!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I drove myself crazy with the scale til someone said to me "hey you didn't scrutinize your weight on the way UP every second of the day, do yourself the same favour on the way down" And it was so liberating, sticking to what I could live with as a plan, being as active as I could at such a such a high weight, and checking in on the losses every week at most, sometimes 2 or 3 weeks. It's hard to do, but freeing
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #15  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I didn't have a big loss when I started and I was disappointed. Wasn't that supposed to be a 'freebie". You got that loss and probably a bit more as your body adjusted, and this week it is adjusting or hormones etc.

My 14 months of charting are mostly a nice steady downward trend, but upon closer look, you'll see about every month a big spike in the middle and a little spike at the end (weight gain at ovulation and TTOM). You could be dealing with one of those now too.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote