i'm going to try zigzagging my VLCD

• i have given it a lot of thought i think i will start zigzagging my 750cal/day diet.

reasons are:

a) less likely for my body to settle down to a static drone (iow, plateau)

b) will be more likely to avoid starvation mode

c) will allow not just for days i'm extra hungry but also for days i just don't really feel like eating

d) will make it WAY easier to adjust calories upward as i transition off it

e) will be less of a system shock than going from, ie, 750 to 1200 cal/day. it'll also be easier to manage mentally - just spend a couple weeks ramping up the amounts little by little rather than sitting down Day One staring at a meal twice what i've become accustomed to eating.

so here's the current plan:

starting this friday, the week will run from friday to thursday (which is when i weigh in at the dr's office)

instead of it being "mon - x calories, tues - y calories" etc, i'm doing it this way:

each week, i'm allowed:

one 640cal day
    one 670cal day
    one 740cal day
    two 750cal days
    one 820cal day
    and one 900cal day.

when it's time to transition up to 1200, it'll be just a matter of upping the numbers over a period of a cpl wks. f.ex, either dropping lowest cal meals and adding a highest one or else upping all of them by 'x' rather than facing a massive step up from 750 to 1200 in one get-go.

sound like a plan?
  • I guess whatever works for you? To me VLCD is already a severe step so I don't see the point in zigging and zagging when the diff is so small.

GL!
    A.
  • you'd be surprised at the difference 150cal makes at this level. i'm more thinking toward the future when i'm not so restricted and can get back into more normal practices.
  • re:
    Have you/will you be talking to your doctor about this plan when you weigh in? I'm curious to know what they say.

• i wouldn't be starting it till friday so yeah, i'm going to talk to my doctor first. he's pretty okay with anything i want to do because he knows i have a solid grasp of the basics. helps that i live in a small town: the fire station is a 5min walk down the street, the cops are a 10min walk the other way, the ambulance is 2min past the fire station, and if i need my doctor, i just take the pedestrian bridge across the river and bang on his door.

but the other two times i lost a lot of weight with VLCD, that transition step was *rough*. basically the doctors at those times were "okay, then! met your goal! have a nice life!" so i had a bad span of time where i just could NOT bring myself to up the calories not only because i was convinced i'd undo all my hard work but also because just looking at all that food shut my appetite down.
  • Good luck with that! It seems like a good idea. Im a little concerned about your calories being so low (even though mine have been for the last 3 days :\ which isn't normal for me) What made you decide to do a VLCD? is it your doctor that put you on this diet?