Where do you count from?

• The other day my brother was asking how I was doing. I said "GREAT!, I've lost 21 lbs so far this year, 43.5 total" He said what you mean total, you mean from like 2 years ago? I said yes. He told me that I should only count what I have done this year or "this time" not what I did 2 years ago.

What do you guys do? Do you count from your highest or from your most recent "renew?

It really made me think.
  • I count from my highest...

it's not a race - it's a journey. I don't include when I was pregnant.

You need to count the total weight you have lost from your total.

Dana
  • You can count from your highest ever weight? I didn't know that cause my highest ever was 276, can I change my start weight to that instead?
  • I count from my highest. I agree w/Dana that this is a journey. My kidney doc was very pleased w/me that it's taken me 3 1/2 years to lose 42#--he told me he would like to see me lose no more than 2# per month. I thought he was nuts, and must have given him a funny look, because he said, "That way, it comes off slowly and has a better chance of staying off."
  • See....this is my question!!!!

I was @ 320 - 3 years ago

311 when I get pregnant with Jacob

297.5 Jan 1st 2003
  • I always count from my highest because somewhere along the line you DID in fact lose that weight and kept it off for the next time around.
  • I would say highest, although I have no idea what that might be for me. I'm assuming it's what I weighed when I started WW in the fall. I hadn't been on a scale in years. I refused to get on a scale when I went to my doctor. The last time I remember weighing was in 1999.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. . . :-)
  • I guess I'm one of the oddballs (you guys knew that already).

My highest weight was 298. I've lost some, I've gained some back. I lost some more.

I recalibrate each time I get new resolve.

But, when it's all said and done and some one asks how much weight I've lost, I'll count every pound from 298.
  • mine was easier than that. luckily... i haven't quit and started over. well, of course over the years there was always "i'm watching my weight" but not REALLY. i didn't weigh myself.

so my starting weight is from the day david bought me the scale.
  • ABSOLUTELY from the highest weight ever!!!! and if someone else is REALLY nosy [as only a family member could possibly be!], then you can break it down for them...

my highest: 506. current: 244. and i count every blessed pound of it, not just the 165 that's come off in the past year!
  • wow, jiffy! i had no idea you had lost so much, that's AMAZING. congrats!!!
  • Jiffy, when do we get some before & afters?
  • I have been counting this time from when I started being motivated even though my weight has bounced around a bit. I started really caring again last July when I weighed after not knowing for so long, gulp, 231 lbs. My highest ever was 265, and I got my butt down to 170 and started the upward slide again. I found my job maintains in the 230s without doing anything at all. Isn't it awful that I know that?

Miss Chris
  • hmmm. i finally have some before pics as jpgs,taken 1 week before the surgery, after i'd lost 97 pounds... and the office has some current jpgs... let me see what i can do...

give me a week or so... ok? there's still 60 or so to go!!!!
  • Absolutely count from the highest. You LOST that weight. You get to count it.

If you lost something small, like 10 pounds a year for 10 years, that would still be an accomplishment in the long run.

I've never been pregnant, though, so I don't know how that figures in.