3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Weight Loss Support Group Mean Girls (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/253489-weight-loss-support-group-mean-girls.html)

Ava W 02-23-2012 02:33 PM

Weight Loss Support Group Mean Girls

I go once a week to a weight loss class, a requirement at the doctor if you are on a low calorie diet like I am. I have noticed, over the course of many weeks, that certain women in the group have devolved into teenage girl behavior. Thank God it isn't toward me, but it is aggravating none the less. When certain other women share or volunteer to talk, this group of women (middle aged and older) roll their eyes, whisper, and make peevish faces. I have never seen anything like this before!

This is my first weight related class. The last "class type" situation I was in was grad school and this sort of thing never happened. Is this common for support groups to be like this?? It doesn't put me off my diet, but it makes going to the required class mentalling draining.

Justwant2Bhealthy 02-23-2012 02:51 PM

Sadly, some people just never grow up; I would just ignore them, if you can. Don't let a few immature people stop you from benefiting from the whole group, esp if you enjoy going.

mandalinn82 02-23-2012 03:41 PM

I'm another vote to ignore them. There are mean girls in every group, and usually, they do it if they are insecure. I try to think about how much more likely I am to get something out of the class/group when I'm paying attention to myself and my goals, not to what other people say or do.

TiffNeedsChange 02-23-2012 03:54 PM

I am very easily distracted by people like that so I understand. Maybe you can talk to the instructor about the fact that their attitude and such make you uncomfortable and you feel like they're being disrespectful to others in the group. I am have done this before and it actually made things a lot better.

Candeka 02-23-2012 04:03 PM

I vote talking to the instructor. There are most likely women in your group who are very shy and already have low self esteem. If they hear this group of women giggling or see them rolling their eyes while talking, this could cause the shy woman to easily fall off the wagon.

caryesings 02-23-2012 05:04 PM

I'd sit down in the middle of them, even if I have to ask one of them to move over. If they ask why, just tell them you want to break up their whispering during the class.

PghGal 02-23-2012 08:15 PM

In my experience, there are a few in every group - no matter the type of group! Someone else above mentioned insecurity as the likely reason, and I agree wholeheartedly.

This is where the group facilitator needs to take control of the situation and address it when their pettiness is on display.

I'd ignore it and get what you can from the group. I'd send a few evil eyeballs their way when they start their crap. :)