Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 03:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default So how do you deal with people who. . .

complain about their weight when they are wearing a pair of size 6 jeans? Actually, she was complaining about how big her hips were. . .in a SIZE 6 pair of jeans! Even if I weighed 80 lbs., my hips would still be like that song. .you know, "she's got a pair of hips just like two battleships." I've faced up to the fact that genetics has dealt me peasant hips.

It's hard to sit there and listen to thin people complain about their hips or thighs or whatever part they think is too big. It's kind of amazing, and sad, to realize that even thin people (women mostly) aren't happy with their bodies.

Looking back, I remember (oh, so long ago) weighing around 145 and thinking I was fat. I don't know if I would do that now, but I think I'll have to work on my mental fitness as well as my physical fitness during this weight loss journey. When I reach my goal weight, I don't want to get caught in that body image trap.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:03 PM   #2  

Sheila, it is very difficult for me, being extremely overweight to listen to others complain about their weight. In my experiences, it seems to me that those people complaining are very insecure and wanting a compliment like "no, your thighs are great," or "what I wouldn't give to have your body." Also, a dear friend of mine, who I never thought of as larger than I once told me that it bothered her to hear ME talking about how much weight I have to lose. I never even thought about being any smaller than her, but aparently she did. I never meant to make her feel uncomfortable.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #3  

Default how do you...

Sheila,

I know just how you feel. At work last week, a girl who I think is a size zero (I"m not kidding) said that she thought she'd gain so much weight on vacation that they'd have to roll her down the aisle. Okay, maybe she's a size two, whatever. Two other women who are probably around size eight were moaning cause their stomachs weren't flat enough to wear bikinis. Spare me. I'll be so excited to wear jeans with a belt and a sleeveless shirt tucked into the jeans.

Sherry
Old 03-03-2003, 10:20 PM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Just a suggestion...when you're surrounded by skinny minnies saying such asine things, have you ever thought of saying in your most sarcastic tone, "Gee, if you guys are fat, I must be a disgusting cow." I did that once about ten years ago at work and was met with a very uncomfortable silence, followed by "I don't think you're fat..." and various other backpedaling types of statements. It was HILARIOUS, in an sort of way...and the b.s. from the skinny girls stopped.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

LOL...I do what Jennelle suggested. When someone skinny is around me and they complain that their fat, I then say to them "If your fat then what does that make me, the good year blimp". That shuts them up real fast.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:04 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I agree. I find that "Jeez, you must think I'm a water buffalo then" usually works.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:15 PM   #7  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

males don't do that. i've never had one of my male friends say "yo Matt, i gotta tell ya, my butt is really large".

why do women do this? is it just low self-body image or is it "fishing for compliments"?
Old 03-05-2003, 12:09 AM   #8  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I am generally not a Christina Aguilera fan, but I had to share because it really fits this thread...I was flipping through the channels and landed on a video for her song "Beautiful." It made me cry.

We are beautiful no matter what they say
Yes, words won't bring us down
We are beautiful no matter what they say
Yes, words can't bring us down
Don't you bring me down today

(And Matt, I think it's more about fishing for compliments than low self-body image.)

Last edited by Jennelle; 03-05-2003 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:20 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

i just raise an eyebrow and change the subject. tiny women who say that sort of thing aren't playing with a full deck. they generally have such a distorted body image that they'll NEVER be happy. and there's no point in discussing anything with them.

of course, some of them are just plain *****es who are fishing for compliments.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:20 AM   #10  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Definitely fishing. Everyone needs reassurance now & then but some women take it too far.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:10 AM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Matt - It's fishing all the way!! When skinny girls complain, they just want you to say how "great" looking they are. Most of the women in my office are small, but only 1 is a skinny minnie. Everyone else is normal and when they complain about their hips, there is usually something to complain about!!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:09 PM   #12  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I can't stand it when women do that! I always feel like they are wanting me to say "oh no, you're not fat, I am." Now, if any women start complaining about how fat they are, I tell them that maybe they should do something about it then. It shuts them up every time.
Closed Thread