Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #1  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Default Cravings

What healthy alternatives have you found to replace your craving for that something that you just can't live without?
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Love this thread..... My number one craving on a diet is hands down 99% of the time PIZZA!

So I have found that Turkey Pepperoni tastes EXACTLY like Pepperoni and I also use either chicken sausage or a good soy protein sausage and low fat cheese with low fat/low sugar sauce and a personal boboli crust to share with my husband and its almost like the real thing. You just have to be careful to not overdo the cheese.

I also serve with a large side salad that I eat first so when I get to the pizza it is easier not to scarf it down. LOL

Last edited by OnMyWayDown; 02-08-2012 at 10:25 AM.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Well, this is an alternative but not a healthy one. When I first started, I just did not think that I could give up Cheetos, so I gave myself one ounce of baked Cheetos, 130 calories, per day. This allowance helped me develop a plan I could live with. In time, I cut back to having my baked Cheetos just a couple of times a week.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

When I have chocolate cravings, I use unsweetened powdered cocoa sprinkled on things like fresh or frozen fruit, homemade larabars, smoothies, sometimes even in coffee. I also LOVE frozen peaches sprinkled with a TON of cinnamon and sweetener and eaten just like that. It really kills any sweets craving I have.

One of the HARDEST and continually challenging things for me is to let myself give in to the cravings but in very small amounts and only once in a while. It is something I struggle with even 2 years and 2 months into my journey. So, I allow myself ONE bite of my husband's pizza / pasta / chicken nugget or whatever other terrible thing he is having just to get the taste, and then I go have something healthy and delicious for myself.

I try to be very VERY good all day long, so that I can have my special dessert every night which is a treat that I look forward to and has become one of my only cravings - I make homemade "ice cream" by putting frozen strawberries, frozen yogurt cubes, sweetener and almond milk through the food processor until it has froyo consistency, and then I will add a topping or two depending on how many leftover calories I have: coco powder, unsweetened carob chips, almonds, coconut butter, coconut flakes, frozen raisins, etc.

It is all about balance.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

I have a problem with craving creamy things (like cheese) and sweets.

Here are some of my favorite snacks to curb cravings:

*Apple sprinkled with cinnamon, sometimes dipped in a small amount of peanut butter
*Celery, peanut butter, and raisins (ants on a log)
*Low fat cottage cheese w/ pineapple ring
*Small handful of natural almonds
*Baby carrots, sometimes with light ranch
*Hummus and veggies for dipping
*Greek yogurt with a small amount of granola and fruit
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Oh and if I'm craving cheese, laughing cow spreadable cheese wedges are soooo yummy. Weight watchers has a spreadable jalapeņo cheese wedge that only has 35 calories and I spread it on the special k crackers chips...omg. Or the frigo cheese sticks have 60 calories.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #7  

I'll have fat free Greek yogurt with sweetener...so thick and creamy, yum! Sometimes I'll put it in the freezer till it thickens more. Or a smoothie with frozen no sugar added fruit and unsweetened almond milk and add a sweetener...I use sweet n low. Or take a sugar free jello pudding cup and put it in the freezer till it gets thick and creamy. All these remind me of icecream and curbs my craving for sweets. When I want something salty crunchy I have special K cracker chips...30 of them only have 110 calories and they taste alot like Pringles. Maybe some hummus for a dip with the cracker chips.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #8  

Oh and if I'm craving cheese, laughing cow spreadable cheese wedges are soooo yummy. Weight watchers has a spreadable jalapeņo cheese wedge that only has 35 calories and I spread it on the special k crackers chips...omg. Or the frigo cheese sticks have 60 calories.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #9  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Wonderful ideas for me to try! I crave SALTY and there is really no healthy alternative for salty unfortunately!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #10  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Smallsteps....if you're craving salty, how about a pickle? How about the half and half fresh pickles that are still cucumber-y? Followed by a big glass of water, of course
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #11  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

The main things I crave when on a diet are cheese cake and mac and cheese. To the latter, I add 2 cups of cooked broken up cauliflower to at least make it less dense and bulk up my serving. For the former, no-bake cheese cake by www.skinnytaste.com, made the mousse way and without the sugar added. However, the last time I had that crave and I made it, it gave me heartburn and I've not made it/eaten it since. It may have had nothing at all to do with the cheese cake, but that is the last memory I have attached to it. So for now, that craving has subsided.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #12  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

I love these ideas here, especially the spreadable jalapeno cheese wedge, sounds DELISH!

Oh, I'm a big chips person. and I know someone on here had a recipe for low fat tortilla chips you make yourself. Since, I don't make that kind of time, I grab the mini rice cakes (my fav is sour cream and onion or cheddar) and that satisfies my chips craving
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #13  
Tired Of Just Surviving

I never thought of pickles I will have to try that out!!