3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   What Kind of Eater Are You? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/252456-what-kind-eater-you.html)

SmallSteps 02-07-2012 04:13 PM

What Kind of Eater Are You?

Unguided grazer

Eats anytime and anywhere — while driving, working, reading, watching TV or surfing the Internet. Usually chooses foods that are convenient and readily accessible. Frequently eats past the point of fullness. Make a commitment to eat three meals a day. Midmorning and late-afternoon snacks may help ward off hunger. Don't do anything else while eating, and try to slow down and enjoy food.

Nighttime nibbler

Often goes all day without eating much — or anything. May consume far more calories than intended at night because of ravenous hunger. Dinner often blends into continual trips to the kitchen for snacks. Plan to eat lunch and a midafternoon snack. Lunch might be a sandwich, yogurt or soup. The snack might be an apple and peanut butter or low-fat string cheese and crackers. Calorie-proof the house, getting rid of favorite nighttime munchies. Plan on one nightly snack that's satisfying. Eat it slowly and enjoy.

Convenient consumer
Eats mostly convenience, packaged, frozen and fast foods that are often high in fat and calories and low in fiber. Has few fresh foods or home-cooked meals. Downsize fast-food meals and convenience foods. Buy single servings. Look for healthful alternatives whenever possible. Get baked chips instead of regular ones, broiled chicken instead of fried. Avoid creamy sauces. To add flavor to foods, experiment with spices such as fresh rosemary and tarragon and sauces such as teriyaki or spicy barbecue.

Fruitless feaster
Eats a plain meat-and-potatoes menu, except for an occasional glass of orange juice, a banana or apple. Consumes few fruits and vegetables, thus missing out on the vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutrients these foods contain. Add blueberries, strawberries or bananas to cereal. Add mushrooms, spinach and green peppers to omelets. Put baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, apple and orange slices in lunch. Add baby spinach, arugula and tomatoes to sandwiches.

Mindless muncher
Snacks throughout the day and night whether hungry or not — sometimes out of boredom or to take a break in the middle of the day. Doesn't pass up a plate of food, vending machine or snack shop. The sight or smell of food triggers the compulsion to eat. Keep a food diary for only two days, which will help convert mindless eating to conscious consumption. Read food labels to figure out quantities. Try healthful alternatives such as cherrytomatoes dipped in light ranch dressing, baked chips and vegetarian bean dip or whole-wheat pita with hummus dip.

Hearty portioner
Overindulges on unhealthful foods or even healthful ones. May consume three to five times the norm. Picture a picnic plate with dividers, and portion your plate so that three-quarters is covered with fruits, vegetables and salad, and the meat and starch are in the smaller compartments. Overcome portion traps at restaurants by splitting entrees and ordering extra salad or vegetables. Scan food labels for calories per serving.

Deprived sneaker
May eat a strict diet of "good" foods one day, then overeat on "bad" foods on another. Instead of eating a small slice of chocolate cake, may choose fat-free cookies, but after eating eight of them, feels deprived. Drop the dieting mind-set along with the long lists of forbidden foods. Choose flavorful foods that contain healthful oils and fiber. For instance, add nuts and avocado to salads, use olive oil in stir-frys. Follow the 80/20 rule — if 80% of your diet is healthful, the other 20% can be less so.

Bonnie+J 02-07-2012 04:16 PM

Really great post!
I am a cross between an unguided grazer and a mindless muncher, prob more the unguided grazer! I used to smoke and the habit of doing something with my hands hasnt really left me.

SmallSteps 02-07-2012 04:23 PM

I am definately a cross between a Mindless Muncher and a Nighttime Nibbler!!

I get the munchies every night around 8pm it never fails!!

Kitcherella 02-07-2012 04:29 PM

Definitely a Hearty portioner.

KatMarie 02-07-2012 04:47 PM

I used to be a 'mindless muncher', now I'm sometimes a 'nighttime nibbler'. I definitely have to keep junkfood out of my house! I still can't have cereal in the house either. :-(

Trazey34 02-07-2012 05:32 PM

hearty portioner here! I always read "eat fruit & veg to lose weight" but I DID ...except I'd also eat a 12 oz steak, baked potato with butter AND sour cream, big dessert... and a salad tho! hahahah

Lyla 02-07-2012 05:37 PM

I was a convenient consumer, i how i get here. Reeeeeeeeallly hate to cook.

linJber 02-07-2012 08:20 PM

I love everyone's comments. I think all could have applied to me at one time or another. Grazing is still a struggle, as is mindless munching. Fortunately, I recognize the patterns and can stop them better now.

Lin

MablesGirl 02-07-2012 08:45 PM

Let's see..... I thnk all of these apply to me. I'm working on the fruitless feaster first!

Unguided grazer
Convenient consumer
Fruitless feaster
Mindless muncher
Hearty portioner

TamTam 02-07-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie+J (Post 4207692)
Really great post!
I am a cross between an unguided grazer and a mindless muncher, prob more the unguided grazer! I used to smoke and the habit of doing something with my hands hasnt really left me.

I too am a cross between unguided grazer and mindless muncher!

rakel 02-07-2012 10:20 PM

Oh dear, it looks like I'm a mixture of several, no wonder :P

oneshortday 02-07-2012 10:28 PM

Definitely a mix of unguided grazer and convenient consumer. I know I have a fast food addiction and it's so hard to kick. :( Right now I'm portioning and counting calories and when I HAVE to have fast food I've been doing kids meals or less. The main problem I have now is the guilt when I'm done, even if I've met all my calorie goals for over a week.

Rainbowgirl 02-08-2012 01:33 AM

Unguided grazer/nighttime nibbler. I'm really hoping this all changes (that I can make it change!) in March when I'm not working this job anymore and I have more time to devote to getting healthy. Plus, not paying for groceries is going to help big time!

runningfromfat 02-08-2012 07:01 AM

I didn't really relate to any of them. :dizzy:

I used to be someone who ate relatively healthy, home cooked meals BUT always ate WAY too much sugar (and then sugar would trigger me eating more of everything else too). I would sneak/hide chocolate and was really obsessive about it. However, I've always loved to cook, always loved fruits, veggies etc and we've never been able to afford to eat out too much. Another thing... I've always been someone who prefers regular meals at consistent times, my husband, on the other hand, is a definite mix between Nighttime nibbler and Fruitless feaster. He would rather do errands, get things done during the day instead of eat meals at a certain time and if I followed that it would really throw me off balance. Once I acknowledged that I really did need regular meals and if he didn't want to eat that's his business, it helped too.

My other issue too as a former high school/college athlete is that the portion sizes that I could eat at those times were way higher than as I aged and cut back on physical activity.

For me once I cut out the sugar and restarted working out pretty much everything fell into place for there. Sometimes I think I might be just an unusual case. ;)

cathi888 02-08-2012 09:23 AM

Definitely unguided grazer with a bit of hearty portions at dinner time.