Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #1  
Kelly-Blue Team!

S/C/G: 231.6/189.6/130

Height: 5'3

Smile Faturday?

Did anyone watch Dr. Oz with his idea for a Faturday (cheat day) once a week? What did you think about it?
I thought a controlled cheat day sounded like a good idea, simply for the idea of tricking our bodies into letting go of the weight. I'm going to do some math and create a "cycle" for each week, some days really low in cals, some days medium and one day at the max. It'll probably range from 1200-1800 so even on my "high" day I still won't binge.
Has anyone else tried something like this? Does it help avoid plateaus?
I'd love to hear some input from you all!
qtapostolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Lots of people do this. I didn't see Dr. Oz, but what you say is the theory behind it. I also think it has a huge psychological benefit. You can plan an evening out, a family function, or just a "night off" without feeling like the "diet" is going on non-stop forever. (Say "forever" like the kid in the movie "Sandlot.") Stay within your maintenance range, (or not - one night of a couple hundred extra calories won't blow it) and stay away from the foods you know you shouldn't eat, like high sodium, especially, if you don't want to be disappointed in the AM when you weigh yourself.

I'm always amazed by the people in here who can stay 100% on plan 100% of the time. I couldn't. I didn't. I still don't. Thin people don't. Knowing that I could go off once in a while made it easier. It wasn't necessarily every week for me, either. As I look back, my philosophy seemed to be that it was OK for me to go off plan on occasion because I realized that was how my "naturally thin" friends and family ate. They are not "naturally thin." They watch what they eat every day and have the occasional Faturday. I like that term. I now try to pattern my eating after my DD, who is fit and thin, who works out (very hard,) and who eats like a horse once in a while. It's the once in a while part that I used to have trouble with - and it still gives me a challenge. We have to learn to switch things around in our heads.

You are doing really well so far. Keep up the great work.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 02-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Some people have success with it and some find it hard to reel in from the 'cheat' day. I am on weight watchers and it has a built in 'weekly points allowance' to eat more on one day, if you like. I think it works for me. Even with a nice Sunday brunch, I usually see a Monday loss.

A different technique for keeping your body guessing is intermittent fasting. I have tried that too but its a strain for me to get through 24 hours of not eating - especially the last 4 hours (shakes, dizzy).
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I did not see the show but I did calorie cycling for 5 months ranging in my case from 1200 to 1800 calories. In my case and remember we are all different, it had zero affect on my plateaus. It was however a far more normal eating pattern. People do not normally eat the exact same number of calories every day. As linJber said it had "a huge psychological benefit". My DW and I like to eat out on Friday's so I made Friday my 1800 calorie day. Later I became even more flexible in my calorie cycling by allowing my consumption to vary any day by any amount as long as I made sure that my 7 day average came to 1500 calories. It was a little bothersome to track all of this because each day was different and I had to know how much I had consumed and how much was still available for the week. I am not following this right now but I may again in the future. I am going to study the Spike Diet and see if that would help my Plateaus. I don't know much about the Spike Diet other than it seems to be an extreme version of calorie cycling.

Wishing you the best of luck with what ever you decide to do.

Larry

Last edited by Larry H; 02-04-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #5  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I am new to Dr Oz, but I did see the show. I was all excited until he pulled out his 'controlled plan'. Then I realized this was just calorie cycling which I've tried before with little effect.

Cheat days to me means I can eat whatever I want and how much I want, not following someone else's plan of what and how much I should eat. I don't currently HAVE a cheat day because as Chix said I find it hard to reel myself back in and go back on plan.

I did find it interesting that when they totalled up all the calories for the 3 girls cheat days, the totals weren't higher than they were.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I saw the show. Yes.. it's similar to calorie cycling. I know that if I have a day with 500 or so extra calories every now and then... it often sets me up for a weight loss. That being said... this can work only if eating these extra calories and special treat foods doesn't cause a binge lasting until... who knows how long.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-04-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #7  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

I didn't do this until our nutritionist built it into the program and I started working with my husband. I eat up to 1650 a day (I usually range from 1400-1650) depending on the day. We limit it to a cheat meal and my total day usually doesn't exceed 1850 calories. My husband and I often cycle on the weekends so we will have had a big calorie burn within 24 hours of our Sunday night date night which is usually the cheat meal (usually sushi). I've found my weight loss with this system (and combining all food groups like starch, protein, dairy etc throughout the day) to really keep my weight loss consistent. I've averaged 2-2.5 lbs a week after spending 4.5 months on a diet losing around 50lbs. Previously, I would stall out for a week or two then have big drops. The increased exercise could be a factor too, I'm not sure. Control is key in my humble opinion. I really try to approach really high calorie foods as 'you are keeping me from my goals and that's just not ok'. We all have what works for us as individuals, so good luck finding your 'recipe'!!
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I saw this episode. It was interesting, but I really dislike calling it a "cheat" day or saying "you can cheat on your diet!" because well, it assumes that once again diets are temporary. I almost feel like writing to Dr. Oz and saying "Hey what about when you get to goal?" since he has a platform and potential for so many people to see the show. But weight loss gets viewers and that's all that matters to a show I suppose.

I had higher calorie days here and there during my weight loss, but it was nothing significant. When I ate out I would just fit it into my day somehow and keep it within my calorie count.

I want to have higher calorie days here and there though since I have so much trouble eating more in general (especially during the week when I'm busy). Yesterday I ate around 2100-2300 calories. I allowed myself to "relax" but I still tracked and did not go overboard, drank lots of water, etc. It was also a workout day. I always weigh in regardless of what I was doing the previous day so this was no exception. I still weighed in at 118, no water weight gains to be seen.

Today is going to be a lighter day. I have had breakfast, lunch and a snack and I'm finding that I am not quite as hungry today.

Last edited by sontaikle; 02-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I saw this episode. It was interesting, but I really dislike calling it a "cheat" day or saying "you can cheat on your diet!" because well, it assumes that once again diets are temporary. .
I agree.... I don't like to call it a 'cheat day' or even 'faturday' either. It makes it sound like you are being 'bad'. Planned food isn't a cheat.

I will not use the phrase 'being bad.' Don't like it at all. If it's unplanned extra food or a binge... it's not being bad. It's making unhelpful or unhealthy choices. OK - I'll jump off my soapbox.

But... the TV show has to cute it up to get folks interested in watching, of course.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I agree with the mentality of not using 'cheat day' as well.

I range in calories - usually anywhere from 1200 - 1500. Sometimes there's a day where I feel like 2500 is better. As long as the majority of days are lower calories, and the high days are fewer, you're fine imo.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I did/do this as well - for the psychological boost mainly. I can't really say if it helped/hindered as I did from day one. I knew there was no way I could stick 100% to a plan, I didn't want to. Strict adherence for me always meant that at some point - maybe not til 2 years down the road - I'd snap and eat a bucket of sugar LOL So I considered it a "controlled burn" instead of a "forest fire" mentality!

ha, and the best part is that the people I'd go out with had no idea i was dieting because i didn't necessarily eat 'diet food' when i went out (i didn't eat a bloomin' onion either!) and then all of a sudden they were like "hey you've lost half yourself?! how'd that happen" hahahah
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote