Old 02-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default How often do you change 'plans'?

I am curious: on your weight loss journey, how often do you change 'plans?' I don't mean changing your calorie level if you are doing calorie counting, but moving to a completely different method, like South Beach or carb counting or something besides what you were already doing.

I find that I *have* to switch things up every so often or I get burned out. I think that is partly why I stall out and regain a bit every so often. I get bored or tired of doing the same thing, or my body just stops losing after awhile on the same plan.

I am switching to something new on March 1 and am so excited about that! I hope it breathes new life into my weight loss.

How about you?
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #2  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I am consistently sticking with weight watchers. I had considered calorie counting, but really enjoy the points system.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I have several plans (and variations of these) that I have used over the years.

Now I am doing food exchanges - that is working real well for me. It's based on Richard Simmons food mover program from years ago. This program is based on the exchange program of the American Dietetic Association. (not diabetic - dietetic)

I have done calorie counting, too. I've done in my journal in a spiral notebook. I have used the food tracker at Spark People while doing the calorie counting - for a time - as a way to change it up with calorie counting.

I did Weight Watchers way back when - when they used an exchange program. I have not used it since it's gone to points, etc. I loved the support. However, I drove myself crazy having to weigh-in in the evening. Not a good fit for me. LOL

It's nice to have the online support. You guys rock!

I think sometimes it is very helpful to switch it up now and then when you just need a fresh start.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-04-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #4  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

I've done WW, calorie counting and severe restricting [not my brightest idea :/] and now i'm on Ideal Protein. I've stuck with Ideal Protein consistently the longest so far. I love love love it! There's no way to get around the protocol and that makes it a lot easier for me
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Since I found the one that worked for me, never. I have made small tweaks/refinements over time, but it's the still basic "eat lots of super foods, manage your portions, eliminate/reduce trigger food" plan that I started back in summer 2004.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

My plan is to stick with calorie counting until it stops working. I am wondering if when I get to the point where I can't count on losing at least a pound a week, I will get frustrated and need to change to something else. I'm keeping an open mind and enjoying the ride as the weight continues to drop
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I've changed three times, though maybe four if you count slightly altering a current plan. I started with WW because I didn't know where else to look, initially, but quickly got a great resource and started on the "Don't Go Hungry Diet" (Amanda Sainsbury-Salis, it is absolutely excellent). That wasn't quite as strict as I wanted and the losses are intentionally slow, so I took those principles and applied them to calorie counting, which I did for three years.

Now I've hit a final change and am supplement my current plan with essentially paleo/perfect health diet eating when I am in maintenance, and strict Simeons protocol (can't discuss details in this forum) when I'm in losing mode. It is the perfect fit for me, and I likely won't change it up again. If the shoe fits, I keep it, I'm a routine/comfortable kind of woman and I don't mess with something that does all I need it to do. But it did take some experimenting on myself to get to this point. And when asked, I tell people I have done ONE diet in my life, and it is this one. It's true, because though I have tried different specifics, I have had one solid effort at losing my excess weight in my life and I've never quit. It's a point I'm very proud of

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 02-04-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #8  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I've done calorie counting since the beginning and it works great. Now, I tweak that plan a lot, depending on what I need (if I'm on a trip, around TOM, feeling sick, etc.).
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I tend to "translate" different plans into an exchange plan. So one one hand, I've been on exchange plans pretty much from the beginning, but I've been experimenting with different distributions of the exchanges based on books I've read (from Atkins, to South Beach to Primal Blueprint).

You could therefore say that I've lost my weight on one plan (exchange planning) or you could say that I've lost the weight on a dozen or more plans.

I'm also attending TOPS meetings, which I love, and don't plan on ever giving up (unless it's to join a similar group). I need the weekly weigh-in and meeting.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #10  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Often?

I don't really have a set plan. I do inuitive eating and have made small changes often throughout my journey. Basically, I'm constantly tweaking. If I see myself getting bored, overeating, feeling hungry etc then I change what I'm doing. At this point I don't really make large changes but at the beginning I was trying more things to figure out what worked best for me.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 154/148/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've pretty well done the same plan each time. (Then I get pregnant or in this last case, I had a major life change). When I do lose it, I maintain it for long periods of time until something different affects it. (Pregnancy, or in this case I stopped working, moved to another country and went on vacation mode for too long).
kcoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I loosely counted calories and tried to just get rid of the junk in my old way of eating. And watched portion sizes. There really isn't anything TO change. Not while I was losing and not while maintaining. But we each have to do what works for them. I have a question, though. What will you change to once you hit goal? Or does each of your plans have a maintenance program you can live with? I needed something that didn't seem like a diet that would just become intuitive when I hit goal. That's what worked, so I didn't change it.

Good luck with the new plan!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #13  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

I have tried every "plan" out there and have found that the only thing that works for me is good ole calorie counting and exercise.

I keep a food/exercise diary religiously!!
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote