Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/183/117

Height: 5'4"

Default unrealistic

I finally dropped down to 189 today and my brother asked what was my goal weight. I said 120'a lying by a few pounds, it is acutally it is 117. He said the 120's was unrealistic for me. It is within the healthy range for my height, it is actually 10 pounds above the lowest healthy weight for my height.
I lied about it being in the 120's because when I told my therapist 117 she laughed, laughed! So I lied to him and he still thinks that is to low.
The only time in my life I felt good about my weight is when I weighed 115 to 120 wearing a 4/6 in pants and a medium in shirts. Back then everyone said I was to skinny. I got tired of hearing it so I gained the 20 pounds I had lost back
I have a small frame so I think 117 is perfectly ressonable for my height. A healthy range for my height is 107 to 145. What is wrong with wanting to weight between 115 to 120. I looked and felt good then.
I know it's my body and I shouldn't listen to them, but it is hard when people laugh and tell me that is to low. I also have sister who's 5'7", three inches taller than me, and she weighs at most 120 and wears a 2. So why is that okay for her but wearing a 4/6 is not okay for me?
It is just so discouraging! I want to not only feel good, be healtly, but look good too. Do they know something I don't know or should I dismiss them?
I need a boost not a bring me down like they are doing. Do you think 117 is to low? I was told once by a person a nutra system that 117 was my perfect weight and I was happy there, really happy. I want to get back there.
What do you all think? Thanks for reading!
blueice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #2  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

All I can say is that if you want to be 120, or 117 then you will be. Don't let other people bring you down, just stick at it with your goal in mind, even if it feels like you'll never get there, I promise you that you will!

Last edited by belmagick; 01-17-2012 at 03:20 PM.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'11"

Look at the INCREDIBLE weight loss you have already achieved! Your goal isn't an unhealthy low weight. It's the lower end of the healthy range for your height, but still in a healthy range.

My vote is ignore them. If you get down to 140-145 (higher end) you may be totally happy. Maybe your body is changed and that weight will look amazing on you and you decide that you have found a good place. But if not, I think you have earned the right to go all the way to where you want to be! Just make sure your open minded to being flexible about the goal. I actually think my ultimate weight goal is likely lower than I'll ever go. I consider the 139 the lowest weight I would ever let myself be. I do want to know what I look like at that weight, but if I dont go all the way there I'll be completely fine with that. And if I get there and its too thin, or unrealstic to maintain, then I'm good with anything between 139-150. I know thats a huge window, but I haven't been that low to see how it looks on me.

Anyways sorry to ne long winded. I guess I just want to say you should ignore them for now, and if they are right and its too thin for you then you can change your plans when that time comes.
ma26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

At your height, 120 is reasonable in a medium frame.

I think the next time someone asks you "What is your goal weight?" you could think about replying "I don't have one yet."

It really isn't their business.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/246.2/140

Yeah just ignore them. As long as its within your healthy range then it's wherever you feel comfortable
ssparks81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5

it's pretty hard for people to visualize other people at different weights. Just say you will know your goal when you get there.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
At your height, 120 is reasonable in a medium frame.

I think the next time someone asks you "What is your goal weight?" you could think about replying "I don't have one yet."

It really isn't their business.

A.
I agree. Well said.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I agree with the others - you can just say you don't have a goal weight yet. Another one to say is 'healthy'. That works too.

Carry on! You are doing great!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I agree with everyone who said to just say you don't have a final goal set just yet. It saves everyone a lot of time and trouble! Just say, "I'm losing until I get to a healthy weight. I'll know it when I get there."' But . . . be prepared for the comments to start at about 130 pounds or so. People will tell you that you are too thin or have lost enough. Just tell them you're seeing how things go.

I started getting that at about 75 pounds lost. I was still well into "overweight" at that point. When friends said, "You can't possibly want to lose more," I just said, "Maybe a couple more pounds is all." That takes care of it. then do what you feel is best for you.

One more thing - I don't know how long ago you weighed 117 pounds, but please don't focus on a number so hard that you miss the real reason we should be doing this. It might not look or feel the same now as it did then. I said for 9 months that I was going to lose 100 pounds and it was next to impossible to stop at 90 when I decided that was for the best for me at that point in time. You can always gain some back or lose a few more.

You've done an fantastic job so far. Just keep it up and don't worry about what will happen 70 pounds from now. You'll know what to do at the time. for now, fib if you have to!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Amazing weight loss! Forget everyone else. You know where you feel and look best!

So...we are the same height and 120 is my goal as well. However, it's been so long since I've not been overweight that I don't know if I'm small, med or large framed. Everyone else is overweight in my family too so I can't figure it based on them either. Is there a way to tell what a healthy goal weight is?
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/183/117

Thanks everyone! I think I will try saying a healthy weight. That sounds the best to me. It was 9 years ago that I weighed 115. I was 29 going on 30 years old. I know I won't look the same as I did then plus there is the fact that I wasn't working out then. I now do at least 30 minutes cardio a day and weight lift perfurably 3 times a week though really I am down to twice a week now. So who knows I may look smaller sooner this time around. I want to wear a 4/6 again no matter the weight. If I hit 4s in the 120's then I will stop then. So I am a little bit flexiable on my final goal weight. I just want to feel healthy and alive again.
Truthfully I was a little full of myself back then, and though no guys looked at me, at least that I noticed, I felt great about myself. My size two sister got all the attention. Boo! I'm not beautiful like her! Oh well I am me and being me is fine. The right guy is out there somewhere, maybe even one that finds me beautiful, that's my wish at least. Though I would rather someday for my tombstone to say here lays a nice person. But beautiful once would'nt hurt

Anyway thanks everyone. Next time I will say I am shooting for a healthy weight. Hopefully that will satisfy them!
blueice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Ha, actually I laughed when I saw 117. I know nothing about you. But to me that number seems so far away that I can't imagine hitting it. It was funny to me. :-)

I agree with everyone. In the end it's what you feel comfortable with and as long as its within your healthy range then who cares. But people by nature are judgmental sometimes in the weirdest ways and we don't know why. So I agree just say until you feel healthy.

As a side note, for me, I can't think about my end number because it becomes overwhelming. That's why my ticker has a half way point. But I have dreams of hitting the 130s. But I don't think I'll ever let anyone know that. It's also another way that I would let them judge me if I ended up not meeting that number.

Regardless, looks like you're doing everything right. :-) Congrats! And Good Luck!
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

FWIW, my daughter is 15 and 5'4" and she weighs between 135 and 140. I just took her shopping and she wears an extra-small or size 2 or 4. She plays sports and is in no way fat or chubby. She doesn't have an especially big frame either, but she is a soccer player and has lots of muscle.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #14  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I am stunned your therapist laughed. How unprofessional.

I tend not to put my goals in numbers usually. I'll say, "When I get to a healthy weight". People can't argue with that, and it doesn't leave them anything to make a snide remark about. Or laugh at.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #15  
Paso a paso

S/C/G: 264/Ticker/160

Height: 1.65

I think that if you can mantain 117 with no problem, then go for it. Sometimes we have a goal in our mind, and the body has another. Been the whole life thinking about not been over x weight is too much pressure.

As of me, i don't have my goal weight in numbers either. At the moment i see what i like i'll stop loosing weight and focusing about keeping it off.
Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote