Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #1  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

Default Starting anew!

Hello everyone!

After seveal failed attempts, and some small successes, I'm starting anew with my weight loss plan. I have been doing low carb on and off for a few months, and I've managed to lose about 20 pounds, but I really dislike low carb and I am returning to calorie counting. I've had issues with calorie counting in the past, but I believe my problems have been from choosing too many empty calorie foods and ending up hungry at the end of the day. So I plan on really trying to make better food choices, and make sure I get lots of fiber and protein in my diet, as well as avoid processed food.

I also really need to exercise. I used to be pretty active, despite being heavy, and I was able to do 10 mile hikes with a full pack with little difficulty. This past summer, I tried to do the same and I really think it almost killed me. I also took an Ecology class last semester that spent a lot of time outdoors, and I had a hard time keeping up when we walked in hilly areas. I am probably in the worst shape I've ever been in!

I'm going on a trip with my school in March to Belize. It's part research, part sight-seeing, and I really want to me in better shape for when we walk around the forest! I don't expect to lose a lot of weight between now and then, but I do think I can get myself into good enough shape to hike!

So here's to a new year, and a new start.
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/209/175

Height: 5'10"

ShadowClaw:
Woo hooo, kudos to you for making this step. March is a looong ways off, go for it! And Belize, well-wow- what a great opportunity. Best of luck to you!
TiredOfMySize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Shadow Claw - Good for you for getting back on board with a new and improved weight loss plan! I bet you can lose 12 - 15 pounds a month using your new system. It's exactly what I did - kept to about 1300 - 1400 calories, pretty low on the carbs, very high in fiber and protein, very heavy on dark veggies. I shot for 3 pounds a week for a while and then for 1% of my weight per week. It worked. You have a fantastic goal to shoot for in March. Why not start a challenge and see who will join in and keep the motivation high? If you work in some daily cardio and a little strength training, I bet you will notice a world of difference in endurance by March. good luck!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Good for you! Tweeking your food plan can give you a new fresh start. You will do well and get ready for your wonderful trip. Carry on!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

wow, that sounds exciting. I bet you'll get back into shape quickly. Have a blast
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I do a combination of low carb and calorie counting. I calorie count with limited carbs and those carbs I heat are the good ones: fruit, sweet potatoes, Quinoa, limited WW bread, etc. It's worked wonders for me. When I eat this way I find I have no cravings. It's when I start adding the white stuff I find myself in trouble.

My new favorite food is Spaghetti squash. I have returned to being able to eat all my old noodle favorites using spaghetti squash instead. And I make my own pizza on WW tortilla shells.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote