Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #1  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Question Do you think my goal is attainable?

I am at 243 right now. I am going to Disney World on February 16th. My goal is to be under 200 by then. So from today it is 44 pounds in 3 months. I think that I can do it, but it might be a little too aggressive. What are your thoughts?
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

That's a tough goal.. you'd have to be on like a liquid diet or IP or raw diet I thought... it's not impossible though.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Also, Why are you trying to push yourself that hard? Will you not be happy in going if you lost 20 pounds?
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #4  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliesinmycereal View Post
Also, Why are you trying to push yourself that hard? Will you not be happy in going if you lost 20 pounds?
This. It is much more feasible to control behaviors than it is to control how your body responds to those behaviors. So, I recommend setting behavioral goals - stick to your plan every day between now and your trip, exercise 6 days a week, whatever behaviors you need to change - and let the numbers follow from that as they will.

That way you can be delighted at how your hard work has paid off in results, instead of angsting about whether those results are good enough to meet your arbitrary and overly-ambitious numerical goal that your body doesn't care about.

You can set the 44 pounds in 3 months as an ideal you'd love to reach, but making it your GOAL sets you up for giving up in January because you've "only" lost 18 pounds so far and you're "never" going to make that goal.

That's just my view on "x pounds in y time" sorts of goals - I generally disfavor them.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I think it's a very aggressive goal, but why not go for it? Just don't get discouraged if you fall short. I totally agree with everyone who suggests making a behavior based goal instead of a weight based goal, but weight is how we view progress (not SUCCESS - but progress.)

Remember your goal during the holidays and stay focused on plan. Join (or start) a challenge to stay on plan for the time you have. Others will join in and help you focus on the goal. DO THE BEST YOU CAN and you'll have no reason to be disappointed. I think you'll find that no matter how much you lose by the time of your trip, you'll feel better and have more energy and be better able to enjoy yourself. and then keep in mind all you were able to accomplish and stay on plan while you're there to the best of your ability.

Good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #6  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I would just FOCUS on losing, don't set a specific number to lose, because if you don't reach your goal, that could backfire. Enjoy your trip no matter how much you lose, okay?!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

What diet are you on? I think it would really come down to that.

GL and enjoy Disney! I've been dying to go back.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #8  
Cocktail Cowgirl

S/C/G: 280/263/160

Height: 5'6"

And remember goals are flexible. It is a goal, not a deadline. Good luck! Also, plan to enjoy Disneyworld, even if you don't make your goal.
cathi888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm the bandwagon of LOATHING the "i will lose X pounds in Y months" grrrr hate it hate it hate it!!! Like happiness can only be achieved if those results are met, or you're a success if you do it but a failure if it's only 40 lbs, mind games I can do without!!

I agree with the going whole hog on the BEHAVIOUR. Stick to it like glue, push yourself to do some crazy goofy exercise you haven't tried before, all the little tricks to fool your bod into dropping weight! And LAUGH while you do it LOL You're going to the happiest place on earth, the journey there can't be misery!

And most of all, say HI to Mickey for me!!

Last edited by Trazey34; 11-17-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

I have to agree with everyone else.

Personally it took me over 6 mons to lose 35 lbs. i happen to be a slow loser but I am also on an eating plan that I can stick with forever, which is my goal. I am very happy to be at the lowest weight I have been in over 10 years and am proud of myself for sticking with my plan for so long. If I had been focused on my goal of losing x number of pounds by x date I would feel crappy now.

Enjoy your trip and your healthy lifestyle!
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I have never, ever had an positive outcome when I made goals like that. It really depends on you though. If something like this can really motivate you then go for it. However from all the posts here and my own experience it is not going to be easy. I think it is better to set commitments on changing behaviours, set specific goals on gradual changes and I think you'll be happier with the results. I would always get frustrated because I had set extreme goals and unreasonable targets and give up.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Why not just do the best you can in the next 3 months and be happy with the outcome, whatever it is. Please do not go on a crash diet, bad for your health and usually not sustainable.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #13  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I agree that specific numerical goals can be tricky. When I started in early July, I set a goal of 50 pounds in 6 months. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months and started thinking, sweet! I'll lose 60 in 6 months! And then I stalled and have lost only 6 pounds in the last month or so. I'm still ahead of my self-imposed schedule but somehow I feel like I'm falling behind. Goals are good motivators but you have to watch out if, like me, you're tempted to use failure as an excuse to give up.

So do the best you can and good luck!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I would have to say that I also think you should keep your target weight in the back of your mind and set behavior related goals. Sometimes that scale can really be unpredictable!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4''

It is funny to me when people say they are slow losers and yet they lose 40-50 pounds in 6 months. That took me a year, at basically a pound a week.

Anyway, some people like setting slightly unrealistic goals because it pushes them harder, that doesn't work for me because I get discouraged. I prefer realistic goals.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote