Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #1  
Hard Work Pays Off

S/C/G: 324/302/???

Height: 5'11"

Default Weightloss Challenge At Work. $1000 at stake. HELP!!!

I'm doing a weight loss challenge at work and I'm trying to find the best diet that I could lose weight and be able to stay on for 5 weeks (or more).

I've dieted before and this site really has been a godsend, but I can never stay on anything because I have HORRIBLE self-discipline. I'm hoping the contest at work can help me get some money I'm in absolute need of (I pay mostly all the bills and rent at home) and jump start my weight loss.

I know it sounds kind of harsh, and I wish I could just say that I'm joining the challenge for the motivation but being young and broke even after you work long hours at work is disappointing and stressful. Haha. I'm sorry for rambling, it's like almost 4 in the morning where I live and I'm still hyped up from work. And I can't think straight.

But anyway, the contest is five weeks and I'm not looking to do anything that will complete eliminate something from my diet (like restricting carbs). I've done things like Atkins and it messed up my immune system, for some reason I was sick for two weeks, plus I'm half Samoan and we eat rice with everything at my house. I know I can't have it all, but I need some kind of carbs. I've also counted calories but I feel like I won't be able to do it because I don't have a cell phone anymore and I'm not sure if it will work for me the way I used to do it. Maybe I'm being a baby? I don't know? Calorie counting? Sorry, this is starting to sound like a blog post. But please help!
beautiful days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Why don't you just have half of everything you normally eat and fill the other half of your plate with steamed vegetables. Try that for 5 weeks and see if it changes anything? I don't count calories but going on a "diet" just for a challenge could backfire if you don't like what you are doing.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #3  

Hey beautiful days,

So I hate to be that guy... but I'm gonna be that guy.

The intent behind weight loss challenges is noble enough but they're horribly misconstrued and end up being counterproductive to long term health, well being, not to mention weight loss. Crash diets are simply not sustainable.

Your motivation's money. Fair enough, I too am motivated by a thousand dollars. But what's going to happen after five weeks when that motivation is no longer there? Keep in mind that you've been depriving yourself for five whole weeks.

Say you win. You're going to want to celebrate right? Maybe invite some friends to a restaurant? Maybe throw a party with all sorts of tasty treats? You see where this is going.

Say you lose. All that hard work and dieting was for naught ;( Well now you fell like s*** physically, mentally and emotionally. You need a way to soothe yourself. You weight your options. Eating's always worked before. You know you shouldn't but then again you know that your crash diet wasn't healthy to begin with and you really need to eat and since $1000 is no longer at stake...

So the best way to win the contest, the way that's the worst for your health, the way that will slow down your metabolism, and the way that I do not recommend is: don't eat. Google tells me that liposuction is about 4 grand so that's out.

Maybe you could get them to award the grand based on body fat percentage. Or most miles walked. Something more akin to a fitness challenge.

Or better yet, have the three biggest losers after 5wks go on to the finals. During the finals you get weighed once every 2wks for 10wks. The person who bests maintains their weight loss (no extra points for more weight loss) wins. If it's too close to call then the top 2 split the money.

I actually like that last idea so much I'm gonna give myself a dancing carrot.

If they're truly interested in long term health they'll at least consider that idea.
Otherwise rock meet hard place.

Hopefully they can be convinced.
Good Luck
Gabriel Aidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Edited to say: I was posting at the same time as the one above me. I don't believe this has to be a "crash" or "fad" diet. And while temporary weight loss contests might backfire, this certainly doesn't have to. If you win, you win. No celebration is needed that involves food. If you don't come in first - you will still have accomplished something in the weight loss department. You will have LOST (lost the contest - lost weight.) If you get on a strict healthy eating plan, good for you. If you fall back a little after the contest, that's life. But you can use this opportunity to accomplish something you're working toward anyway. Now on to what I originally wrote:

Well, I say sometime you just have to suck it up and do what has to be done. Five weeks is a very short period of time. I think you can get drastic for that amount of time and then ease into a slightly more relaxed plan for the rest of your life. You say $1000 is at stake. Whether that's the healthiest motivator or not, it sure is tangible and should be a huge incentive.

Cutting carbs cold turkey causes some people to have flu-like symptoms. It's even referred to as "carb flu." Google it. Most people get past it in about 2 weeks and are more energetic than before. I'd really try to cut back on the carbs, but gradually. Half the amount for a few days, then less and less until you are down to one or 2 small servings a week. And be sure to look up portion sizes. A serving of carbs is about 1/2 cup, cooked.

For most people, cutting carbs is one of the quickest ways to drop weight quickly and steadily, especially at first, so it's worth it to give it another try. Get your family on board. Fill any empty spot on your plate with veggies.

Don't worry too much about counting calories. Cut out all the crap and junk food. Eat a healthy breakfast and lunch. Eat a half sized supper. Plan healthy snacks of fruit and veggies and lean protein (cheese, nuts) in between. And keep your eye on the $1000 prize. I don't think anyone would fail to lose weight eating like that. Whether or not there is another participant who is more motivated than you remains to be seen. While trying to lose, sometimes feeling a little hungry is a good thing. It can keep you focused and aware of what you're trying to do. Since you're already trying to lose, this should fall into place. Just step up the effort to full power for a few weeks. The time is going to pass anyway. Wouldn't you rather say, "That was difficult, but I did the best I could" than "I really wish I had tried a little harder."

Start a 5 week challenge in here and get all of us on board with you as a cheering section. Keep us posted. Can't wait to hear the results.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 11-08-2011 at 08:17 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a confirmed calorie counter and my cell phone has absolutely no part in it. $1000 is certainly a great motivator but , is the contest only five weeks long or did you start after the contest was under way ? The average and healthy weight loss is about 2 pounds a week. I will be interested to see how much the winner loses. Do not go on a crash diet, it is bad for your health and does not have long lasting results.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #6  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I calorie count and don't have a smart phone...just a regular call/text phone that helps me in no way, lol.

I preplan and log my calories at night and stick to it during the day. If I can't count the calories I don't eat it.

I like liliesinmycereal's idea about cutting the portions on your plate in half. Then you could save the other half for your lunch the next day.

I calorie count and eat rice. One change you could make is to use an ice cream scoop to dish out your rice and then fill your plate with a decent size portion of protein and the rest veggies. Eat the veggies first, every single one of them. Then work on the rice and protein (eating more protein than rice) and you may notice that you're full by the end of the meal.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #7  
Hard Work Pays Off

S/C/G: 324/302/???

Height: 5'11"

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to calorie count and I'm going to try and stay at 1500 on the weekdays and 1700 on the weekends, and I'm just going to keep an eye on my carb intake, not to mention more exercise and more bike rides. I hope it goes well, I thinking I'm going to do what @linjber suggested and make a thread to keep everyone updated. The first weight-in is on Thursday. I hope this jump starts my weight loss journey too. I heard they're going to have another one after this one if they get enough people again. **EXCITEMENT**
beautiful days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Aidra View Post
I actually like that last idea so much I'm gonna give myself a dancing carrot.

If they're truly interested in long term health they'll at least consider that idea.
Otherwise rock meet hard place.

Hopefully they can be convinced.
Good Luck
I'm loving the new guy!!!

5 weeks is so short a time, ack, what do they expect people do in that time?? But, at least when you start from a heavier weight it's usually easier to drop a lot pretty quickly! I'm with the "half the plate" group, buy a $2 calorie counting book (books are those paper things, that people used to use before phones/ipads etc hehehehe) for the longer run, and do some crazy exercise you normally wouldn't do -- i started hot yoga and fire drills and i've dropped 8 pounds like nothing! insane! I wanted something a bit different and quick!

Good luck - and like the new guy says - there's life AFTER this 5 weeks!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote